Live or fake plants

John7276
Level 2
Pearland, TX

Live or fake plants

Good afternoon. I prefer live plants in my house versus artificial but I wonder how low feasible or logical this is to have in a property. What are your thoughts by the way I do not allow pets, so that wouldn’t be a concern of mine

9 Replies 9
Troy276
Level 2
Superior, WI

@John7276 It's up to you, but from an operational standpoint, fake plants are so much easier. Live plants tend to be messier and require some maintenance. For me it is live plants in my house and 100% fake in the rental.

@Troy276 Appreciate the insight and response 

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

I have only live plants to clean the air. Artificial look terrible and collect dust. My house is also dog friendly. 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@John7276  It depends upon your ability to maintain the plants (real and fake).  We don't have any types of plants on the interior of our listings because some of them are long-term rentals only, and we're not onsite all of the time.  So, we have no way ensure that the plants will be properly taken care of.  Whether it's appropriate watering, fertilizing, removing dead bits, dusting, or arranging them so they don't fall over or get stepped on.  Our outside gardens are full of plants and fruit trees, and we welcome guests to open windows or go on the decks/balconies to enjoy the greenery.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@John7276 

I have one real plant that is doing well. It requires water about once a week. I think it adds a lot to the space having a real plant. I used to keep cut flowers or whatever in a vase changing it out between guest but the live plant is much easier. Although still cut some flowers if it's a honey moon or something. 

Some guest left a few roses made from palm fronds in the empty vase so just keep those there now. Kids sell these on street corners and in the market area. 

I've also seen some artificial plants at the dentist office and they look real and good. There is no way to tell they are fake, with broad leaves, sits on the floor and about 5 feet tall in a nice pot. If I had room I would put one of those in in a heartbeat, it looks so good. 

I'll post a few pics when I'm doing turn over today! 

This has been a such a great plant! Repotted it and spreads out nicely! Have only had to water about once a week. 

The other is the roses made from palm fronds by locals that guest left. That corner didn't get quite enough light. 

We had another topic on plants and host use both real and fake. 

My listing is practically sterile so the plant adds some warmth and life. Not a game changer but nice touch if you can find a good spot for one. 

IMG_2876.JPGIMG_2875.JPG

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @John7276 and @John5097 This is a great topic. Personally, I love real plants, and about a month ago, we had a highly engaging conversation in our community regarding this subject 👉 Real Plants or Fake Plants: Which do you prefer for your space?

Could this possibly be the topic you were referring to, @John5097 ? By the way, what kind of plant are you sharing in your first photo? I am in search of a new one, and this particular one looks very appealing.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Paula 

I like real ones also. They can really add some life to the space. 

I can't recall the name of that plant. The topic I had in mind was this one I started when I first got it. The other one didn't survive. 

I recall someone mentioned there was an app that could ID plants.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Advice-on-your-space/Got-any-House-Plants/td-p/1590216

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Hi @John7276! I also prefer including live plants in my listings. However, when guests stay long-term, the plants often don't survive. To address this, I've established a nursery at my home with easily propagatable plants. Whenever a guest checks out, I swap out the plants to ensure they always appear fresh. Then, I focus on rejuvenating the plant I've removed.