Location in Bucharest for people with disabilities

Robert8341
Level 1
Bucharest, Romania

Location in Bucharest for people with disabilities

Hello,

I am thinking to open a location for persons with disabilities. This mean that I will take care of everything: no steps, no elevator, big doors, etc. I would like to ask if there are persons who will appreciate this? What do you think?

7 Replies 7
Joy189
Level 2
Greensboro, NC

@Robert8341 I love this idea. I have this as my next home rehab as well and think there’s DEFINITELY a market for this! I am a former special education teacher. So many people have mobility issues have no choice to to stay at corporate hotels. Please do this and I am sure you won’t regret appealing to an even bigger audience of travelers. 

Joy Watson
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Robert8341 

As a disabled person, I say yes, we are  a totally under  served  market.  Things not often  thought about wheelchair access to the bathroom transfer to thee toilet can I brush  my  teeth Get in  to the  shower and bathe?  Can I turn on and off lights?  Can I get in  and out of   the  bed?  Can I reach like a microwave  and a coffee maker?   In  my house  I have a refrigerator with water and ice dispenser so I can  reach to get a glass off water..

Hi @Marie8425 ,

Thank you for sharing this with us. For things like toilet, bath, sink I know what should be. But I don’t know how the kitchen furniture should be. Can you share some pictures? Also, the question is: If you have a locations like this, would you traveling to visit also other countries?

Thank you

@Robert8341 

Hi, sorry I didn't notice earlier, my electric wheelchair though I am not racing haha basically I am managing a 299 lb motorized chair in your house.  Which can have accidents lol.  The main thing to be conscious of is my chair is pretty standard, 38 inches wide so yes if you have a standard door I fit,  What people  forget though is great I am in the room, can I use the room as intended?  Doo you have adequate space for a 38 inch wide chair to go beside your bed through your kitchen into  the main part of your living room?  In the bathroom, a sink without a cabinet underneath. For toilets and showers, usually we can do an independent transfer with some type of support,  I  have aa walker but you have to have space for a wheelchair, the walker and   my ability to turn and sit without having to move the chair.  I in my toilet room  have a permanent bar that assists me. the 2x4 supports iin the wall were reinforced because it supports 100% adult weight  a number of times a day....Also and Amazon  can be great for ideas lol, I have Like arm rests for my toilet when  balance is an issue those are handy.    Another Amazon find I have a step with  a handle to assist me getting into bed alone.  My Husband did do a little tweaking to attach to my bed frame so more secure.  You need a shower chair, again choose the options with arms it will pay off.I wasn't always in a wheelchair so the therapists helped me pick out things  My shower chair has the ability to turn and lock, which is easier because the seat faces out of the shower I get in my  husband unlocks turns  the seat in the shower and locks it again.  Another great Amazon find a tension  support pole even  my  nurse was surprised how strong, I installed a new walk in tub but   couldn't get in works amazing for transfers.  Don't use bath mats, definite tripping hazard when you don't have full control  of feet.  I  use those stupid flower stickys  and love them.

My current house is a new build so microwave over stove, I have a 2nnd microwave on  counter.    Most places kitchen sink accessibility is very expensive.  I have filter water and ice on my fridge door dispenser.  I use a Keurig  Coffee maker which  my husband  fills up before he leaves and just in case a pitcher of water on counter.  Also  what a lot of people don't realize is my latest wheelchair is about a year old, because electronic I am able to  securely raise  my  whole seat so I can reach like the first   shelf in the kitchen  cupboard

Then  I have small things because my  nerves are damaged in   my  hands also.  All my doors open with levers not  knobs.  All my cups have a handle and a lid.I  have silverware with fat handles.   Because nerve damage in   hands and legs I love my bidet.  Also  something  we found useful is sometimes transfers aren't as quick as you   hope and a little leak  on   a bathroom tile floor creates a  dangerous slipping hazard when your already unstable  a larger rug  flat we use like a runner rug   not a fluffy   bathroom rug provides a little  more safety

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Robert8341 , Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful idea with us! Hope the insights from @Marie8425 and @Joy189 have been helpful. I have also tagged @Marie8425 to one of your responses below, so that she gets notified of your follow-up questions and can help further.

I also wanted to share a few guides and experiences shared by Hosts that could be a useful consideration and if they could add more recommendations for your ideas. Inviting @Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0 and @Deirdre122 to this wonderful topic : 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Keaau, HI

As a person in a wheelchair having certainly that the lodging I'm choosing can meet my needs and support my comfort and independence would give me confidence to visit new and foreign places. I would happily add Bucharest to my list of places to visit if I knew that a place like this existed in that area. Thanks for being willing to step out to serve those often disregarded. Blessings.

Pauline Aughe
Big Island of Hawai'i, USA
Host Advisory Board

@Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0 Thank you a lot for your words. Definitely I will do it in the near future! I hope to be fine and to give you and people like you a little hope also for other places!