Mattress Cleaning and Sanitization

Hector501
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Mattress Cleaning and Sanitization

Hi everybody, 

Do any of you have a standard for cleaning or disinfecting mattresses?  Do any of you offer details about mattress cleaning in your listing?.

Any recommendation in this regard? 

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Waiting for your comments.

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Hector501 stylish attempt at getting around the no-advertising rules for the CC.

Caleb194
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

I own a cleaning company based out of St. Louis, MO and monthly we take off the mattress protector, vacuum the mattress and spray it with antibacterial spray (let it dry for an hour or two - don't soak the mattress) and then every 6 months we steam clean it. 

I have also heard of hosts/cleaners putting Vodka in a spray bottle and lightly spraying every other month or so.

I am sure there is a baking soda/vinegar mix, but I have never been a fan of those. 

Best of luck! 

-Caleb

There is no standard protocol for cleaning or disinfecting mattresses, but there are some general guidelines you can follow to keep your mattress clean and free of germs:

1. Regularly vacuum your mattress to remove any dust, dirt, and allergens. Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to trap small particles.

2. Use a mattress protector to prevent stains, spills, and dust mites from getting into the mattress.

3. Spot clean any stains with a mixture of mild detergent and water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or bleach, as they can damage the mattress.

4. Air out your mattress by removing the bedding and opening windows to allow fresh air to circulate.

5. Rotate or flip your mattress every few months to prevent sagging and wear.

It is important to note that if your mattress is heavily soiled or has been exposed to bodily fluids, it may be necessary to hire a professional cleaning service.

As for including details about mattress cleaning in your listing, it is up to your discretion as a host. However, it can be helpful to mention any measures you take to ensure the cleanliness and hygiene of your guests' sleeping accommodations.