New property

Answered!

New property

Is there a chaecklist of things that the property needs to have before listing?  Handicap accessible?  Hand rails on stairs?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bob1449   If you recently purchased the property and have an inspection report that was done at the time of the purchase, review that for the comments of the inspector as to safety issues.  If the home is new-ish, (i.e., not built in 1937 like mine is) it would have to meet zoning and construction requirements before being assigned a Certificate of Occupancy, which would address most safety concerns, with the EXCEPTION of meeting ADA requirements.

None of the properties that I list meet ADA requirements in full, so I do not advertise as being ADA compliant or possibly handicap accessible in any respect.  

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Community Center @Bob1449!

There are many experienced Hosts on the CC who might be able to offer you some advice on what they'd consider essentials for your property. It might help to know where you're located and the type of property you're considering listing 😊 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No there isn't @Bob1449 .

Check with your local government to see if their building regs/planning permission requirements that affect what you need .

do some market research to see what your local competitors are offering.

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

We have lots of stairs so we can't offer "handicap accessible" in our listing without adding an elevator inside and out. BUT, be sure to post that info and show photos so guests are aware of stairs or lack of ramp. Post "narrow attic stairwell" to second floor, for example.

Our inside stairs had no handrail. We checked to see if the city or our insurance had requirements on that (they didn't). However, for our peace of mind we added a handrail for safety.

Ask your city about requirements for short term rentals. Often they don't have a list other than they will want a 'hotel' or 'hamburger' tax for lodging and food, maybe have you get a business license 🙂

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bob1449   If you recently purchased the property and have an inspection report that was done at the time of the purchase, review that for the comments of the inspector as to safety issues.  If the home is new-ish, (i.e., not built in 1937 like mine is) it would have to meet zoning and construction requirements before being assigned a Certificate of Occupancy, which would address most safety concerns, with the EXCEPTION of meeting ADA requirements.

None of the properties that I list meet ADA requirements in full, so I do not advertise as being ADA compliant or possibly handicap accessible in any respect.  

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Good suggestions, Thanks !