Overuse of Essential Oils

Answered!
Elizabeth3203
Level 2
Western Australia, Australia

Overuse of Essential Oils

Hi everyone,

we had guests stay, who unbeknown to us had heavily used essential oils during their stay.

Now I love essential oils, but the lingering smell is a strong and horrible aniseed smell.  I've had the windows and doors open, plus the celling fans on high all day but the smell lingers, eeeeekkk!!!!.

I'm worried it won't be gone for our next check in in a few days!!!

Does anyone have any advice to get rid of the smell?

Cheers Beth

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Elizabeth3203  White vinegar in bowls. Close the windows and doors and let it sit for 24 hours or longer. Does a great job of absorbing odors. It's cheap, so use it generously. It really does wonders. 

You can use it in the wash as well. Wash any fabrics that you have in the unit too. 

You can sprinkle any carpet or rugs you have with Borax or baking soda, let that sit, and then vacuum. Those absorb odors too. 

Good luck. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Bronwyn100
Level 9
Hardys Bay, Australia

Wash the windows. Burning a candle often helps get rid of smells. I feel for you. 

Elizabeth3203
Level 2

Thank you!  I will give it a try

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Elizabeth3203  White vinegar in bowls. Close the windows and doors and let it sit for 24 hours or longer. Does a great job of absorbing odors. It's cheap, so use it generously. It really does wonders. 

You can use it in the wash as well. Wash any fabrics that you have in the unit too. 

You can sprinkle any carpet or rugs you have with Borax or baking soda, let that sit, and then vacuum. Those absorb odors too. 

Good luck. 

Elizabeth3203
Level 2

Thanks very much!  I've put baking soda in a tray but will sprinkle it on the rug as well, and the white vinegar sounds promising🤞🤞cheers!

@Elizabeth3203  The white vinegar is huge- trust me. Let us know how it works out!