Please critique my (recently) revamped listing in Woodstock NY!

Answered!
Sierra84
Level 2
New York, NY

Please critique my (recently) revamped listing in Woodstock NY!

Hi All, 

Just coming out of a divorce and woo hoo I got to keep the house! Buttttt now I'm trying to reboot the airbnb listing after 3 years off...

Any tips, tricks or comments are much appreciated. 

Thank you!!!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/26259061?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=4d81e791-c86b-4c98-b540...

1 Best Answer
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sierra84  MIKE - I wrote a bunch of stuff and then it didn't get saved on here so I'll start again with frustration.

What an awesome place for sure - I have suggestions for certain BUT first -----  the elephant in the room first - all the reviews are Sierra and praising her as host....and obviously after a divorce its You Mike - and Chickens and Eggs??? I think you have to first deal with all that. People read reviews and if they are expecting chickens/eggs for breakfast and Sierra you will have some challenges. 

I'm not sure how you do this except UP FRONT - people will be wary with just your name - I'm not sure that I would keep the account as it is. Or you can try and see how it goes. 

I would probably start all over as you are doing - I would make a new account I know that's awful cause all those wonderful reviews are amazing BUT, if guests expect things and don't get it they will be quick to say so and mess up the record. Too bad you weren't included before as Co Host and mentioned like I do with my husband - that way people would write both names and this would not be such a hard and questionable transition. I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to read but I want you to thrive and I think starting it all over, including Airbnb will be the way to go. 

In writing the listing I would switch your style and make it Guest Centric not host centric. Guests want to dream and imagine themselves in your home when you say My and I it doesn't give much room for that. Help them dream: You'll love sitting outside by the firepit with your family,  describe how THEY will enjoy things, make it about them. 

As already suggested write under the pics descriptions.

The place is lovely, I'd add curtains and pops of color with pillows/throws/pics on the walls.

I'd lock away anything you love, treasure and don't mind seeing disappear or broken.

Also if those are candles on the fireplace - please remove them all - people are not careful and in the world of safety they are not allowed in STR's along with matches - kids find them quickly as they search every inch of every place and I don't need to say more. 

I hope this is not too much, just being straight up, forward and honest.

let me know if I can help and I wish you happy hosting. 

Best, Clara 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Sierra84 I think your place looks amazing! I would happily stay there if in the area. The only suggestion that I have for you is to utilize the captions feature for all of your photos. You've only used it for a couple of them. It helps people orient themselves to the flow of your house. You can remark on things like which bedrooms share which bathrooms, and where the bedrooms are relative to each other. 

The only other thing I can think to remark on is the TV situation. You mention a TV in the upstairs bedroom. Is that the only one in the house? I'm not much of a TV watcher myself, but families on vacation are likely going to want to watch movies and other things together. Is that not an option at your place, other than gathering in the upstairs bedroom? 

Beautiful place- I'm sure you're relaunch will be highly successful.  Kia

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sierra84  MIKE - I wrote a bunch of stuff and then it didn't get saved on here so I'll start again with frustration.

What an awesome place for sure - I have suggestions for certain BUT first -----  the elephant in the room first - all the reviews are Sierra and praising her as host....and obviously after a divorce its You Mike - and Chickens and Eggs??? I think you have to first deal with all that. People read reviews and if they are expecting chickens/eggs for breakfast and Sierra you will have some challenges. 

I'm not sure how you do this except UP FRONT - people will be wary with just your name - I'm not sure that I would keep the account as it is. Or you can try and see how it goes. 

I would probably start all over as you are doing - I would make a new account I know that's awful cause all those wonderful reviews are amazing BUT, if guests expect things and don't get it they will be quick to say so and mess up the record. Too bad you weren't included before as Co Host and mentioned like I do with my husband - that way people would write both names and this would not be such a hard and questionable transition. I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to read but I want you to thrive and I think starting it all over, including Airbnb will be the way to go. 

In writing the listing I would switch your style and make it Guest Centric not host centric. Guests want to dream and imagine themselves in your home when you say My and I it doesn't give much room for that. Help them dream: You'll love sitting outside by the firepit with your family,  describe how THEY will enjoy things, make it about them. 

As already suggested write under the pics descriptions.

The place is lovely, I'd add curtains and pops of color with pillows/throws/pics on the walls.

I'd lock away anything you love, treasure and don't mind seeing disappear or broken.

Also if those are candles on the fireplace - please remove them all - people are not careful and in the world of safety they are not allowed in STR's along with matches - kids find them quickly as they search every inch of every place and I don't need to say more. 

I hope this is not too much, just being straight up, forward and honest.

let me know if I can help and I wish you happy hosting. 

Best, Clara 

Thank you for the tips I will take your advice!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sierra84 Technically you might be inadvertently breaking Airbnb's rules as you cannot take over a listing/account from someone else. Depending how the account was set up it might have your ex wife's tax details etc. which will be an issue when you come to identity verification.

Well the property and all tax info and income were always in my name. She took over the account and changed the password during the divorce and gave me back the login details after receiving a cash settlement. 

fun!