Prevent smoking in your Airbnb

Prevent smoking in your Airbnb

Maintaining a smoke-free Airbnb is crucial for protecting your property and ensuring a pleasant experience for all guests. Smoking can lead to unpleasant odors, potential fire hazards, and costly cleaning fees. Here are some effective strategies to prevent smoking in your Airbnb:

1. Clear House Rules: Clearly state your no-smoking policy in your listing and reinforce it during the booking process. Use signage inside your property as a reminder.
  2. Security Deposits: Implement a security deposit to cover any potential smoking-related damages. This can deter guests from violating your no-smoking policy.
  3. Smoke Monitors: Consider installing devices like Alertify, which can detect all types of smoking from cigarette to marijuana smoke. The monitor will notify you in real-time if any violations occur. It can also provide you with after-incident reports which are highly valuable when settling disputes or claiming for damages.
  4. Outdoor Alternatives: Provide designated outdoor smoking areas with ashtrays to discourage indoor smoking. Make it clear that smoking is only permitted in these areas.
  5. Guest Reviews: Leave honest reviews about guests who violate your smoking policy. This can help other hosts and encourage future compliance.
By taking these steps, you can maintain a smoke-free environment, protect your property, and enhance the experience for all your guests.
1 Reply 1
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Imke22  Great advice!  I did install the Wynd Sentry in one of my units that is more prone to smoking.  I did not install on some units that I believed the probablilty was very low of this happening.  Well it happened.  The guest chain smoked for 10 days inside the unit.  It smelled awful and next guests of course complained and dinged me on the review.

It took me running the Ozone machine for 3 solid days to get rid of smell.  I am going to look into Alertify.  

Karen