Private outdoor areas in shared home

Answered!
Suzanne781
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

Private outdoor areas in shared home

I have a single-family home in Baltimore, and my husband and I live on the main floor and the top floor. The basement suite is the Airbnb. They have a private entrance, and a bistro set next to the door with a table and two chairs. I am a relatively private person, and I respect other people’s privacy as well, and the manual states that the back yard and the front porch are private, only to be used by the owners. We have only had this happen one other time, where somebody was sitting on our front steps using their phone, but now we’ve got a guest here for a month, and she has already ventured into the backyard, and also onto the front porch. I am not very good with confrontation, even in the most polite sense, and she is very friendly, so I’m trying to find a way to let her know that those areas are only for us without sounding rude.  I am thinking of hanging little signs on the front porch area and at the back gates for the backyard, and see if she gets that hint. She is currently sitting on my front porch working. It is clear to me that she has not read the manual.  Has anybody put up signs that were friendly but also restricted access before for outdoor areas? If so, I would love recommendations for one, because I did not find any online that seemed friendly or suitable for outdoors. Thank you so much in advance. 

1 Best Answer
Gifty5
Level 9
Chicago, IL

@Suzanne781 you can send them a message like this:- We're so glad to have you staying with us and hope you're enjoying your time here. We wanted to touch base regarding the use of the outdoor areas. While we want you to feel at home during your stay, we kindly ask that the front porch and backyard be kept private for our use. We hope this doesn't inconvenience you, and please feel free to make use of the bistro set next to your private entrance for any outdoor relaxation you'd like. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for understanding and respecting our privacy.

or post this around the house: -

1. Front Porch Sign: "Welcome to Our Home! Please Enjoy the Bistro Set by Your Entrance."

2. Backyard Gate Sign: "Private Backyard Area Thank You for Respecting Our Privacy!"

Remember, the key is to maintain a welcoming tone while clearly communicating your preferences. Your guest seems friendly, so approaching the situation with kindness should help create a positive outcome. 

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

@Suzanne781 Assuming that the  bistro set is outside,  you might want to place a placard in his/her room that says something like:

We respect your privacy, and offer you the bistro table/chairs when enjoying the outdoors.

The back yard and the front porch are the owners private space. 

I question just how many read the "manual".  Note, that the "manual"  is seen after one books/reserves while "house rules" are seen before a guest books/reserves and they must agree to those rules at the time of booking/reserving.

Hope this helps.

It’s so strange to me how many people don’t read it! I’m just…bewildered because it’s the first thing I do when I book. Great suggestions though, and I’ll be incorporating them for sure. Thank you!!

Gifty5
Level 9
Chicago, IL

@Suzanne781 you can send them a message like this:- We're so glad to have you staying with us and hope you're enjoying your time here. We wanted to touch base regarding the use of the outdoor areas. While we want you to feel at home during your stay, we kindly ask that the front porch and backyard be kept private for our use. We hope this doesn't inconvenience you, and please feel free to make use of the bistro set next to your private entrance for any outdoor relaxation you'd like. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for understanding and respecting our privacy.

or post this around the house: -

1. Front Porch Sign: "Welcome to Our Home! Please Enjoy the Bistro Set by Your Entrance."

2. Backyard Gate Sign: "Private Backyard Area Thank You for Respecting Our Privacy!"

Remember, the key is to maintain a welcoming tone while clearly communicating your preferences. Your guest seems friendly, so approaching the situation with kindness should help create a positive outcome. 

Hope this helps!

This is beautifully worded. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such a detailed reply! 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Your rental is lovely but I was surprised not to see a picture of the bistro set outside the unit. I think it’s very important to have a

picture and you can place a tent card on it saying, “Your own private outdoor space.” 

You’re correct! That is a new addition. Thanks for reminding me to do that 😊