Recommendation for Removing Stains from White Towels

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Recommendation for Removing Stains from White Towels

We've really struggled with removing makeup and other stains from our white sheets and towels and (finally!) found something that works... Out White Brite. If anyone is experiencing the same issues, I highly recommend!

41 Replies 41
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tip @Traci1.

This would be a great one for our 'How to remove stains' discussion here in the Community Center. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Bonjour,

Moi, j'ai une maison en Martinique devant la plage. Pour les taches sur le linge blanc, pas de problème. Mais les plus graves sont les taches de décoloration des tissus de couleur. En général ces taches sont dues à des produits de maquillage ou démaquillage, produits pour le soleil, etc... En fait c'est le contraire des taches: le tissu est décoloré., surtout les tissus foncés. Et là, rien à faire! la serviette ou la taie d'oreiller est fichue!!!! Un magasin de linge de maison m'a conseiller d'acheter que du linge de maison de couleur claire à cause de cela. Ils ont l'expérience des hôtels. J'avais suivi leurs conseils pour les draps, mais j'avais craqué pour de belles serviettes de toutes les couleurs bien vives. Après 3 ans de location, je suis obligée de racheter plus de la moitié des serviettes!!!

Marie Christine

Tellement vrai. Parfois, un invité blanchiment une serviette, un linge de lit, un coussin ou même le tissu de meuble. Certains médicaments contre l'acné causeront ce type de dégâts.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

After reading so many comments about make-up stains on towels, I stocked up on travel size packets of make-up removers.  I put a packet in each bathroom for guest use.   They average $2.00 for a package of 7 wipes, cheaper than buying new towels.

Linda

@Linda-And-Richard0: "Sephora inside JCPenney" was just clearancing Clinique "quick-cleansing wipes" last weekend. They are little plastic containers with a towelette and liquid makeup remover that combine when you open them. They ship in groups of 9. They clearanced for $5 (1/2 price). I bought 5 tubes (all they had). Gonna put 2 or 3 in a bowl in the bathroom. At .50/ea (roughly) I know that seems expensive but with the research I've done (reading and reading these forums), a few "top of the line" items in the bathroom impresses travelers. This is my test of that idea. If it doesn't impress, I'll not continue the idea. I mean - for heaven's sake - I put a dozen Keurig capsules in the kitchen and that costs $ too but I think it's worth it! I would think this would impress more because I thought of them specifically to help people cleanse makeup, right? 😂

This is what they are: https://www.clinique.com/product/1673/42497/skin-care/cleansers-makeup-removers/pep-start-quick-clea...

clq_ZP8K01_402x464.png

I offer La Fresh Makeup Remover Cleansing Travel Wipes – Natural, Waterproof, Facial Towelettes With Vitamin E – Individually Wrapped & Sealed Packets (Large Size - 50 Count).  On Amazon @ $11.25 for 50 packets = 22 cents USD for each packet.

Hi Linda, I do the same (we provide the Burt's Bees Towelettes–we're in Maine and try to provide all Maine products) but our towels are still stained from time to time. We even have a card in the bathroom asking people to use the towelettes and not our white towels for makeup removal but people still use the towels.

I now buy Neutrogena make-up remover wipes. Each packet only costs $1.47 and has seven wipes. I used to get the Aveeno brand large container with 25 wipes for $5.99 with a reclosable flip top for easy dispensing. It would typically last at least a few weeks. However, I put out a new container for our last guests, who had a three night stay, and they took the whole thing with them. Now only the smaller packets from here on.

Kathie10
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

I've had great success removing make-up, blood and even dyes from white sheets and towels using a mixture of dawn and vinegar.   I've yet to find a solution for washcloths stained with mascara, other than the trash can.  

Here's my method:  Wet the stains and apply a few drops of Dawn. Work the Dawn into the stains.  Add water to see if the stains are fading.  If not, scrub more.  Sometimes, this is all you need to do.  Step 2 for really stubborn stains is to soak the already soaped items in warm water with some white vinegar.  I don't measure, just pour until I can smell it in the water (not scientific, but works).  Leave soaking for "a good long while" (as we say in the southern US).  Then launder in your washer.  Voila!  

SCREAMING THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! Even though I provide make up remover wipes, guest (some) will not use them and buying towels and sheets and pillow cases is getting expensive. Thank you again!!!!

Before arriving at my Dawn/Vinegar solution, I tried bleach and laundry sprays like Shout and Spray & Wash.  None worked.   The bleach didn't work and was rough on the towels, leaving them scratchy.  

I learned the hard way to not use white or light colors for the guests.

Now I have grey with a pattern and light grey towels especially for the guests.

So much less hassle!

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Traci1, Thank you Traci for the excellent tip! Even though we use white towels and linens, Clorox bleach doesn't take away all of the dirt. I will definitely give this a shot.

Best,

Deb

Automate your Airbnb messages with Aviva IQ

Teresa216
Level 2
Fallbrook, CA

Pretreat before washing, then add bleach to the cycle. I also provide makeup remover and pads in every bathroom. In our Welcome document, sent to every guest before arrival, we let our guest know this and ask them, "please do not use our nice white towels for removing makeup, cleaning tables, the BBQ, etc. We have paper towels and rags in a basket over the washing machine for those purposes." This has cut down on damage to the towels substantially. Hope this helps. 

Andrea-And-Guðjón0
Level 2
Grindavik, Iceland

The cheapest way is plain old dishwasher liquid. I find Fairy works the best.
Rubb it on the stain with a nail scrubb or similar, leave for a while and wash as regularly.

Only thing that hasn't come out of my towels is hairdye.