Renting out 2 rooms within a house for 2 guests - is this a good idea?

HyunAh0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Renting out 2 rooms within a house for 2 guests - is this a good idea?

Hi folks,

We are considering renting out two rooms in the house we recently moved into. It's a four-bedroom house with 2.5 bathrooms, and currently, only my husband and I live here.

To maximize profit, it would be ideal to rent out both rooms with double beds, accommodating a maximum of four guests. However, we prefer not to convert one of the rooms into a bedroom for the following reasons:

1. We want to avoid overcrowding one of the rooms with a bed.

2. We prefer hosting one or two people at a time since we are sharing the house.

In short, we have:

• One double bedroom with a dressing table, hangers, and bedside tables.

• One spacious room without a bed, but equipped with a workspace including an additional monitor and wardrobe space.

• A large rooftop terrace connected to room number 2, is exclusively for the guests' use.

• One full dedicated bathroom with a bathtub.

This means the guests will have access to the entire top floor, including the outdoor space, as well as the shared spaces on the ground floor, such as the living room and kitchen.

They will also have a dedicated bathroom, which happens to be on the first floor.

What would be the best strategy for renting out these rooms? I'm also trying to determine the pricing strategy, considering that we are offering more than just a single room. Any advice would be appreciated!

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@HyunAh0 If you are in London are you limited to 90 days per year? Also you need to research the rent-a room scheme as I think it will give you £7500 of rental income tax free.

That’s a great point - thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To come up with a pricing strategy do your market research and look at comparable listings in your location  @HyunAh0 

HyunAh0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen3 for the reply. I have done a rough research but couldn’t find many (or any!) like-for-like accommodation in terms of what we provide 🥲

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I didn't say like for like I said similar @HyunAh0 

There are about 75,000 short term rentals on Airbnb alone so I am sure you will find other London hosts that offer suites or multiple rooms in a home share setting.

HyunAh0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 I might have had extensive filtering going on - will do a bit more digging - thanks!

@HyunAh0 Huma0 could offer some advice here as she offers similar hosting, in London . Although she no longer posts here she has many comments in the advice area above.. good luck.. H

Or @Anne-Jeanette

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @HyunAh0 ,

Is there any progress in your listing set-up since you posted?

I hope our members' suggestions have helped you to consider other aspects while finalizing your listing.

Do keep us posted on how it is going! All the best and wish you success🌻.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines