Security cameras outside

Answered!

Security cameras outside

Hello. I plan to Airbnb my house. I want to add security cameras that will have full view of the outside of the property all around. So front door, back door, front lawn, backyard etc. This is for security purposes due to high crime in the city and I also don't live in the country currently. Do you think this is off-putting to guests? I've stayed at Airbnbs where there were security cameras by the main entrance to the property and it didn't bother me but not sure how others would feel. Where do you think it's appropriate or inappropriate to place the cameras outside the house? Any insight would be appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Faatimah0   Be sure to state in your advertising text that there are exterior security cameras -- do NOT mention that they are for the prevention of crime -- just for safety.  Any potential guest who is concerned about or put-off by cameras are not the guests that you want, and they will bypass your listing.   Your cameras should be positioned to cover expected areas of access and should be placed high enough to not be interfered with.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look on the airbnb help centre under cctv it shows you how to display information about having CCTV under your listing. 

some will be put off. Most decent guests not intending to party /bring in guests not on the booking won't mind @Faatimah0 

Will take a look, thank you!

We have external cameras on our property for security reasons and because we've a pool (safety concerns). We have three that cover the majority of all the backyard and all the guest suite exteriors and all exit points on the house. We have them very clearly labeled in our listing per Airbnb's guidelines and let our guests know they are EXTERIOR only. So far we haven't had anyone even question them much less have concerns about them. For peace of mind and safety of your property I fully support cameras (exterior only). 

Thank you for your input!

The main reason that I rent airbnbs with a private pool in the backyard by myself is because my body is so horrible that I would never want anyone to see me in public in a swimsuit. I have so many scars Etc from a past accident but I am so self-conscious about it that I would never want to be seen in public with less than long pants and long sleeves. So when I write these places with a pool that have 17 cameras staring at me it's just horrible. Knowing that somebody may be enjoying watching me out there by myself is so creepy! There has to be some way to use the security cameras for the security at the host needs and then allow the guest privacy that they have paid for and there has to be Trust on both sides. However, the host can clearly see the guests reviews from other Airbnb hosts saying how wonderful I am and I get all five star reviews and it's always just me by myself and I've been renting from Airbnb for forever. But then when I get here and I see all these cameras I feel like I can't use the pool because I'm just too embarrassed thinking that there's someone with a bowl of popcorn sitting on their couch enjoying watching me. It's just so weird so I have compiled a list of airbnbs that I frequent and made notes do some of them that aren't the greatest, however the pool is private in the backyard. Or who knows, there may be secret cameras places I can't see but the five that are staring at me back there is just so uncomfortable. If I wanted a whole bunch of eyeballs on me I'd be swimming in a pool in public with everyone else

Are your cameras running when the guests are there? Or turned off?

If I had cameras at my property exterior, and if they were running, my guests would be extremely unhappy or I wouldn't get any bookings assumed I declared them as per airbnb guidelines.

I have a farm with a pool and gardens. Our guests use the outside for all sorts of activities.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Faatimah0   Be sure to state in your advertising text that there are exterior security cameras -- do NOT mention that they are for the prevention of crime -- just for safety.  Any potential guest who is concerned about or put-off by cameras are not the guests that you want, and they will bypass your listing.   Your cameras should be positioned to cover expected areas of access and should be placed high enough to not be interfered with.

Great advice, thank you!

Hi @Faatimah0 deciding to install security cameras at your Airbnb property, especially in a high-crime area, can be a wise decision for the safety and security of both your property and your guests. However, it's important to balance security needs with guest privacy concerns. Make sure also to prioritize your guest's privacy. 

1. Guest Privacy: The most important factor is respecting your guests' privacy. Cameras should never be placed in private areas like bedrooms, bathrooms, or any other areas where guests would expect privacy.

2. Visibility and Disclosure: Make sure the cameras are visible and clearly disclosed in your Airbnb listing. Guests should be aware of the cameras before they book the property. Be transparent about the number of cameras and their locations.

3. Airbnb Policies: Follow Airbnb’s rules and policies regarding surveillance devices.

4. Minimal Intrusion: Choose camera models that are less intrusive in appearance. This can make guests feel more comfortable compared to large, conspicuous surveillance equipment.

5. Location. A camera at the front door is generally acceptable and can be useful for monitoring who comes in and out. I believe as long as they don’t capture the interior of the house and only located in the common areas, it wold be in line with Airbnb policies. Your best bet is to still check Airbnb policies about cameras in your listing.