Should I charge guests to use the washer / dryer

Richard3413
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Should I charge guests to use the washer / dryer

Hi, I have a combi washer dryer and dryer and noticed that travelling guests  rather than UK visiting London for a staycation are excessively using the machine. By excessive, I mean the moment they arrive and a number of times throughout their stay. If someone is staying for two nights, 4/5 wash and dry cycles seems a lot. I get if someone is staying for 5 or more nights, then the machine is a benefit and I’m ok with reasonable use, but still within a reasonable amount. I don’t leave any products out to use so they are using their own but I’m worried about the electricity cost and wear and tear on the machine. 

Does anyone have any views on this? Do you charge? 

I have a smart machine that’s linked to my phone so I can see the usage (unfortunately) 

Thanks in advance 

Richard 

12 Replies 12
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Richard3413 

My opinion is that it would be a difficult thing to charge extra for, because it would be hard to phrase it in a way that doesn't sound bad. It's made more difficult by the fact that (as far as I know), it's not common for hosts to charge extra when guests use the washing machine more than expected.

In my case the washer and dryer are not smart machines, I don't monitor their use, and I do provide supplies. However, I've never had a reason to suspect excessive use as you have, so it may be something specific to your area or market.

I think it may be better to increase the nightly rate slightly to make up for the electricity and wear-and-tear, although you need to judge how a higher price could affect occupancy and value for money. Hope it helps, let's see how some of the other hosts feel.

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I don't have a drier, just a washing machine, in my property due to this very issue. A washer and drier encourages frequent, multiple washes of probably small amounts.

I don't have a drier in my own home either. All my laundry is air dried.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Richard3413 

Sometimes the issue is we are creating the issue.  What are people paying for your rental space to wash clothes?  Maybe you have lowered your price too much?  What is the market for your rental?  Occasionally I have washing that appears extra but if regularly pricing laundry just speaks to I am a laundromat.  If your a tourist spot then you shouldn't have a lot of local business.  If you are usually business rentals then are you vetting that they are they home all day doing laundry?  

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Richard3413

Could you share more details about how your smart machine works and its features? I'm sure many hosts here would find it useful.

I'm tagging @Bob297 here as he mentioned charging guests for water and electricity usage in another thread. He might have some valuable insights for you.

I’ve also tagged a few hosts who’ve discussed electricity costs and fees in the past, so stay tuned for their input:

@John5097 @Yvonne774 @Ana7 @Debra300 @Marie8425 @Juan63 @Guy991 

@Daniel1127  @Emiel1 @Marzena4 @Lilian20  @Rosa-Delondre0 @Jaimee1 @Kevin1322@Mike1034  @Kostas0 

In the meantime, you might find this thread on hosts discussing washing machine usage helpful.

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Richard3413 

The rental includes a washing machine in our villas in Curaçao. We also provide an initial supply of detergent. A washing machine is an excellent convenience for guests, allowing them to pack less and save on airline baggage fees.

All electricity and water usage is charged to guests based on meter readings.

In our apartment in the Netherlands, the washing machine and dryer are located in a separate area. Guests know they must pay per load based on an honour system.

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

@Richard3413 

Hello Richard,

Is the machine in a cabinet or in a place where you can install doors? If so, I suggest installing a combination lock and providing the code to guests who stay more than 4 nights. Be sure to mention clearly in the listing that access to the washing machine is only available to guests staying more than 4 nights. I've had guests who planned to stay for 3 nights but extended their stay because of this!

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Richard3413 

I also don't think this is something you can charge extra for. I also notice some guest use the WD excessively. I have a one bedroom, and sometimes guest will run WD non stop for a two night stay. This means they must be washing every little thing individually. I wouldn't even mind twice a day but 4-5 loads a day for two people?  (I can hear the hammering in the water pipes unfortunately)  

Mine is a stackable front end loaders so would take 2 weeks to have new ones delivered and would cost at least 2k to replace. I'm not concerned about the electric bill, but the wear and tear, and if it gets broken or needs to be replaced. Then for two weeks the next guest wouldn't have the WD and would be eligible for a discount, which would be up to CS, so 50%?

It's already hardly worth even renting my space out. After taxes, insurance, and replacement cost, there isn't enough to cover replacing WD every few years. I've already had to repair the washer door where guest were pulling on the wrong side. Guest will also break anything like this. They have already forced open the dishwasher and broke the lock within first year. 

Anyway you seem to be charging enough and it wouldn't be that much trouble to replace the one you have as opposed to the full size stackable ones that weigh over 300 pounds. 

A lot of guest also don't use it so balances out. I also don't use that one in the rental unit to wash linens so think it could last the average lifespan which is about 7-10 years under normal use. (5 times a week for family of 4) You also have a two bedroom so this might happen more often.

I didn't want to but out of necessity did put a label on the door of mine "Open Here" so they wouldn't pull if off the hinges again. "Don't overload. Keep door open 24 hours after use. Clean lint screen" And guest practically always 98% clean the lint screen and have overall 5 star average.  

Other host will also ridicule you for something like this as not being hospitable. 

I'm planning to go up in my rates in a few years which will mean lower occupancy rates but all these things add up.  

If guest overuse I put them on a don't rent again list. For what I offer if they can be wasteful somewhere else. Thankfully this doesn't happen a lot. I also understand some people really like doing laundry and the stackable front end loaders are pretty cool, so in general really like to offer that amenity for guest, but if I had to do it again I would probably not include WD, as the only ones that will fit are expensive and takes two weeks to deliver.

But don't ever take issue over something like this. At least the place is rented. So just put a label on the door and update guest guide is what I do. 

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

There is no way to control this. I would create a nice sign asking the guests to be mindful of the amount of usage. @Richard3413 

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Richard3413 , when traveling, whether it’s one locations or multiple locations, we always look for places that offer washer/dryer (especially if we are staying more than 3 days). It’s nice not having to pack a lot of clothing which makes less luggage for us to drag around.  Now, I will say that I’ve found washers (tub/drum size) Europe being a lot smaller than the washers in the US. Most washer and dryers in Europe are combos (one unit that functions as washer & dryer) whereas in the US, (unless you have a heat pump washer/dryer combo), washer and dryers are separate units (and drum/tub size are larger). Since tub/drum size is smaller, I end up doing more loads of laundry. What I would typically be able to do in the US (one load of laundry) is now 2-3 loads in Europe. If there’s two of us traveling then there will be more laundry to do. 

As a Superhost, we do not have a washer or dryer in our unit or a full kitchen. Yes, if we did it would attract more guest(s) but it’s less wear and tear on our unit which means less $$ in maintenance costs for us. 

@Richard3413  To be honest…that is a first for me.  Ours is a beach house in the states and a washer dryer is pretty much required as an amenity.  We also provide supplies for it

unless they are packing dirty cloths just to use your washer I think it would be an awesome selling point and may result in higher demand and higher rates for you.  I would lean towards making it a positive and emphasizing it’s included use and even include some supplies.  

For us, I don’t notice much change in water or electricity cost.  The AC unit is our issue!  …but easier to control.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm a homeshare host in my house rules I say guests are allowed one wash for every five nights they stay - this gets rid of guests using your place as a free laundrette 😀 @Richard3413 

in your situation I would take out the dryer 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Richard3413 Washer & Dryer is not offered as an amenity in my listings.

I get the occasional guest that ask to use the washing machine, to which I just tell them that it's not offered. 

There is coin laundry(s) in the area, but it's not super close, so I can understand if it's not convenient for guests. 

Although yes, washing machine and dryer can easily break from overuse as well. So there is a give & take here. 

On the one hand, you may get more guests that book your place to use your laundry, but on the other hand, you may need to repair them sooner than expected which can be very costly.