Should guests clean up before leaving? What are your thoughts on this?

Answered!
Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Should guests clean up before leaving? What are your thoughts on this?

While I don't expect my guests to clean up before leaving, I truly appreciate it when they take the time to do so. This gesture is more than mere politeness; it's aligned with basic human decency.

A recent article exploring this subject has been published in our local newspaper. Sharing the link here: https://philstarlife.com/living/698834-should-hotel-airbnb-resort-guests-clean-before-leaving?page=4...

1 Best Answer
Sheila646
Level 9
Elizabeth, CO

We ask our guests to tidy up after themselves:

1. Put the dishes in the sink or dishwasher.
  2. Gather their litter in the trash cans. 
  3. Gather the towels in the laundry room.
  4. Leave their linens on the beds, so we can sort them by size and pretreat any stains.

That's it. Some people are tidier than others. No one ever picks up all of their litter, especially if they have kids. We still get people who strip the sheets from the beds sometimes, especially in large groups, where one person has the checkout instructions and everyone else is just winging it. 

In general it's more useful to me to be able to tell readily what people have gotten into. I go through every cupboard, drawer, and closet anyway. Even after a very tidy guest leaves, the house looks like a tornado hit within 30 minutes of my arrival, because I've pulled out everything i need to clean again.

Farm Diva

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

oh, i can totally relate to the trash situation you described! i ask pretty much the same of my guests, but you're right, often the trash doesn't get disposed of properly. we also have to haul them out of our listings for every cleaning - and "haul" is definitely the right word, given the amount haha. it's all part of the hosting experience, i guess. nice to know i'm not alone in this. thanks for sharing! 😵💫

Agreed. Some guests might naturally offer to help clean up, even without being asked. Appreciate their gesture, but don't make them feel obligated.

Leatha0
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

Everything I have read is if there is a substantial cleaning fee you will get negative feedback from guest for lengthy checkout instructions. Typically they are leaving just enough time to pack and leave. I especially wouldnt ask if checkout is 10am.

I have found that 99% leave it very easy to clean. Families with children may not take time to look under beds, tie up trash bags in bathrooms with diapers ect. so I make sure it is cleaned immediately after.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Bea2137  I also have very brief check out instructions that guest can just leave sheets on bed, put used towels anywhere in the bathroom, and put used dishes in the dishwasher but don't need to start. Also don't need to clean floors or take out trash. 

It's not a problem. Today I noticed there were no dishes in the dish washer, looked at plates, I keep a plastic micowave one on top that was now 5 plates down, and the five ceramic plates above it all had greasy fingerprints on them. The guest was another host, and even mentioned in the first message that she was a host so would know how to leave the place clean.  so go figure. I just pre wash and load everything in to the dishwasher, so everything is sparkling clean. 

So I guess if host don't bother to read the most basic instructions we can't expect guest to, although thankfully guest have overall be great and follow instrucitions. 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines