Smart lock

Answered!
Christine3142
Level 2
Washington, NC

Smart lock

We are 700 miles away from our Airbnb. We installed kwikset Halo touch screen smartlock.  It worked perfectly for 9 months changed batteries once . Now we are having our cleaning person change batteries once a week. We contacted kwikset and that sent us a new lock but it still draining batteries.  Anyone having same problems? What smartlock do you recommend? We like the smartlock so we can program access code to our guests remotely. 

1 Best Answer
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Christine3142 

I second @Pat271 

A lock that fits over a deadbolt but has a separate keypad seems to work best. I wrote the pros and cons of the one I'm using here (https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Advice-on-your-space/What-smart-locks-are-you-using-with-integra...

I've updated to the 4th generation since then and not having a hub really works for me but I'm local. 

Remember, when a lock has a separate Wifi connector that plugs into an outlet the batteries will go on for a long time. 

When the lock has to keep searching a wifi connection and a bluetooth connection itself battery life will be short. So you might actually do better with the 2nd generation that has a separate hub and the whole thing keypad, hub and the part that goes over the lock is less than $150 still on sale on their website I think. 

P.S. I think this lock company should pay me commission! 

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15

Hello

I solved this for myself. My solution can be accomplished by anyone and does not alter the lock in any way. Check out the below intro video and download the document that appears in the verbal description.  Hint, I have 3 of these (2 are 1200 miles away) and have not replaced a battery in 5 months and do not plan to ever again 🙂 **

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]