Snowy driveway

Answered!

Snowy driveway

Hi All!

Just looking for ideas on the best way to handle snowy  conditions in the winter, at our rental.  We are in the mountains and use a snow blower to clear the driveway.  We have someone we will pay to go out and remove the snow before guests arrive.  However, if it is windy, that can cause the snow to blow right in again. I don't think our hire would be willing to go clear the drive daily and it would cost a fortune.  I've emailed upcoming guests that four wheel drive is advised in the winter, and if a bad storm arrives while they are staying here, they should park at the end of the  driveway on the road - because sometimes 4 wheel drive won't get them through either.  Is this enough?  I don't want to be forced to pay for someone's airline ticket if they miss their flight because they could not get out.  Thoughts or suggestions?

Laura

1 Best Answer
Lori3209
Level 2
Redding, CA

Hi @Laura6774 

Communication is key. At all times of the year I tell people what to expect and what to expect when hosted at my place, that way they can make informed decisions prior to arriving.

I often point out the obvious in case they aren't aware of it; and because I've informed them factually ahead of time, and asked and receive an answer to: "are you okay with this?" it seems the responsibility of being 'snowed in' or 'missing flights' or 'having to book elsewhere at the last minute' or 'renting & driving a four-wheeled drive' is on them. 

Some, though, love that adventure, and that's the way I would style your page during winter. "IF you love the challenge of winter, know how to traverse deep snow and dress for cold temperatures, and if you understand the possibility of ..... my place is the perfect place for you!" I'd make it a big deal because there are people, like my brother, who love winter environments and those kinds of  challenges. And your page styled this way, will keep away those who want milder weather and don't know how to handle winter.

Best regards!

Lori3209

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Patrick2829
Level 2
Kalispell, MT

Hi @Laura6774 ,

Definitely disclaimers on the listing and have options for them.  A couple snow shovels. ice melt, sand or gravel. And even directions to run the snow blower.  Let guests know up front the winter possibilities.  Just off the top of my head....

Best of Luck, 

Patrick

Said208
Level 2
Çeşme, Türkiye

I feel your pain. Fortunately where I’m hosting snow is not a concern. 
Good luck!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Said208 I nearly missed my plane once in Istanbul when a freak snowstorm combined with a bald tyred taxi to make the trip to the airport really quite exciting!

Ricardo1643
Level 10
Praia Grande, Brazil

Hello  @Laura6774  how are you?

A good strategy that I can explain in this scenario would be to create a welcome video and describe this scenario in it and even show how to do it so that your guest can reproduce it without a doubt.

Then just send the video to your guests and wish them an excellent stay. 

----

Hello @Laura6774  how are you?

A good strategy that I can explain in this scenario would be to create a welcome video and describe this scenario in it and even show how to do it so that your guest can reproduce it without a doubt.

Then just send the video to your guests and wish them an excellent stay.

Google translation added by OCM

Ricardo Santos QA
Me segue no insta: @ santosqa_

Rebecca2101
Level 1
Rapid City, SD

Hi @Laura6774 !

This is the same problem we have at our place, so I am curious as to what every has to say.  Since our driveway is a problem even on a good dry day, we have chosen not to list our place during the winter months as a safety concern.  We are very open with our guest about the driveway and provide similar options as you mentioned, ie: park up top and walk down the stairs to the property.  

We have an ATV with a small blade attached but would not be able to ensure the driveway would be free and clear when they would want to come and go.  And we probably wouldn't feel comfortable with leaving instructions to run the ATV as I see this as a liability. 

So, with all that being said, I do think guests should be aware of weather conditions were they are traveling to and have some responsibility for delays and such.  

Hi Rebecca,

I like the ideas that Lori gave with a lot of communication, and really playing it up as an adventure.  We are not going to have renters run the snow blower. 

Laura

We don't have snow where we are hosting.  That said, we've been to places with snow, and we always appreciated access to shovels and a place to hang our wet coats and dry our boots.  Good luck during the winter season!

Matthew1608
Level 2
Vermont, United States

We're in ski country here in Vermont, and are also skiers, so we love snow!  That said , it does certainly add more complexity to rental situations, especially if the owner is not on site.  Our driveway is pretty flat and is not very long, and I have a tractor and do the snow removal myself.  I also live on the property with our rental and am more hands on with renters in the winter because it does add more challenges. 

All that said, one thought I have is to clearly represent the situation in your listing (4x4 required, may have to shovel your self out, etc..).  Another would be to look into a "caretaker" type arrangement with someone local who you or guests could call on if needed.  Around here there are plenty of trustworthy local characters that are good in a pinch if you make it worth their while. 

Katie1506
Level 2
London, Canada

There is no snow here in Florida.

Hi Laura,

We are in a similar situation. It just isn't practical to offer freshly cleared snow at all times. Being as transparent as possible has worked well for us. Describing the circumstances on the ground with matter of fact info is essential (with emphasis on wind accumulation in your case so guests recognize work has been done even if it may seem otherwise). I also like the idea of adding a comment like "we shovel snow accumulation of 3+ inches", or whatever makes sense. If we anticipate continued snowy conditions, I'll add info like, 'driveaway was cleared before 2pm but it has been snowing steadily' and we plan on having caretaker out again. 

We have info in our listing about winter driving conditions, it is a section in each lease and for each winter reservation we add info directly into the body of our response that calls out specific things (ie Reminder about winter driving conditions, tips for parking, etc). You can say something several different ways and still folks won't pay close attention, so you just have to keep up with reminders.

We also leave shovels and sand in the garage. We monitor our driveway with an exterior camera and when we note bad snow or ice buildup or branches in the way we ask our caretaker to help out.  If folks complain then we ask our caretaker for more help (this has been rare so far) . In your case, you may also need to closely monitor incoming storms and circumstances to be able to call out what a 'bad storm' is so guests can pro-actively move their vehicle to the end of the driveway. It won't be readily obvious to out of town guests what circumstances can lead to issues. 

Miranda337
Level 2
Montgomery, MI

Be sure to leave a quality snow shovel or two for guests. You could also leave an ice scraper for their vehicle in case they forgot theirs. Arrange for plowing or do it yourself. Also be sure to shovel the steps, deck, and parking area, or hire someone to do the shoveling. Be sure to have enough heating fuel on hand or easily delivered. Inspect and service heating system and hot water heater. Install storm doors and/or windows. If you supply bedding, stock enough puffy and clean blankets and extra blankets. Always have extra blankets. Consider flannel sheets in the winter. Consider a heated mattress pad or heated throw or electric blanket. Have hot chocolate and tea available for guests.  

Rok134
Level 2
Monaco

Hi Laura . Hope you are well.

We don't get snow on the cost of the Canary Islands 

Thank you for your message. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Laura6774 We have a contract with a snow removal company. They send  heavy equipment:

Bagger.JPG

The little jobs are done by our guests - they come BECAUSE OF THE SNOW.

But all snow removal doesn't help, if the mountain roads are blocked:

all closedall closed

Wow, that is quite a picture!  Would your contractor come plow out everyday?