Snowy driveway

Answered!

Snowy driveway

Hi All!

Just looking for ideas on the best way to handle snowy  conditions in the winter, at our rental.  We are in the mountains and use a snow blower to clear the driveway.  We have someone we will pay to go out and remove the snow before guests arrive.  However, if it is windy, that can cause the snow to blow right in again. I don't think our hire would be willing to go clear the drive daily and it would cost a fortune.  I've emailed upcoming guests that four wheel drive is advised in the winter, and if a bad storm arrives while they are staying here, they should park at the end of the  driveway on the road - because sometimes 4 wheel drive won't get them through either.  Is this enough?  I don't want to be forced to pay for someone's airline ticket if they miss their flight because they could not get out.  Thoughts or suggestions?

Laura

1 Best Answer
Lori3209
Level 2
Redding, CA

Hi @Laura6774 

Communication is key. At all times of the year I tell people what to expect and what to expect when hosted at my place, that way they can make informed decisions prior to arriving.

I often point out the obvious in case they aren't aware of it; and because I've informed them factually ahead of time, and asked and receive an answer to: "are you okay with this?" it seems the responsibility of being 'snowed in' or 'missing flights' or 'having to book elsewhere at the last minute' or 'renting & driving a four-wheeled drive' is on them. 

Some, though, love that adventure, and that's the way I would style your page during winter. "IF you love the challenge of winter, know how to traverse deep snow and dress for cold temperatures, and if you understand the possibility of ..... my place is the perfect place for you!" I'd make it a big deal because there are people, like my brother, who love winter environments and those kinds of  challenges. And your page styled this way, will keep away those who want milder weather and don't know how to handle winter.

Best regards!

Lori3209

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Lori3209
Level 2
Redding, CA

Hi @Laura6774 

Communication is key. At all times of the year I tell people what to expect and what to expect when hosted at my place, that way they can make informed decisions prior to arriving.

I often point out the obvious in case they aren't aware of it; and because I've informed them factually ahead of time, and asked and receive an answer to: "are you okay with this?" it seems the responsibility of being 'snowed in' or 'missing flights' or 'having to book elsewhere at the last minute' or 'renting & driving a four-wheeled drive' is on them. 

Some, though, love that adventure, and that's the way I would style your page during winter. "IF you love the challenge of winter, know how to traverse deep snow and dress for cold temperatures, and if you understand the possibility of ..... my place is the perfect place for you!" I'd make it a big deal because there are people, like my brother, who love winter environments and those kinds of  challenges. And your page styled this way, will keep away those who want milder weather and don't know how to handle winter.

Best regards!

Lori3209

Thank you so much @Lori3209 !  Great idea!

No snow here

Me too … no snow in Paris 😌

Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Laura6774 

Hi Laura, my rental is in Maryland, and we have had no snow the last few years, but if and when we do, my town takes care of the street and alley where my guests park, and I clear a small path with a shovel, from the parking area to the apartment, and message my guests to be cautious if the ground is wet or frozen. If you are in the mountains, I would think that guests would be aware of weather conditions, and possible changes during their stay. But clear communication and frequent reminders are a must.  Have a good booking season!

Michelle1588
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Laura6774 ,

Here in NYC we've reached 20 inches of snow at one winter or another. But at the same time, because it's NYC we're prepared for clearing the roads in even the worst of storms. I don't have much experience in the mountains, except for Pennsylvania where I've been stuck in the house due to severe storms and slow snow removals. 

This also happened to me in an Airbnb in the woods of Westchester county. I enjoyed being locked in with the fireplace and no electricity for a few hours. We had a lot of fun. We were able to endure it because the host warned us about it in a disclaimer provided in the listing before booking. 

Some areas are remote and snow can really lock a person in.... it's a natural occurrence, no fault of your own. 

I recommend writing this out in your listing - all of the information shared in your post. And, reiterate with guests who book your place in the snow season that this sort of thing is likely to occur. Provide them with resources; names of companies or individuals that might come out and help them get out of snow in your absence. However, be sure to let them know there are no guarantees placed on these resources and they are not connected to you. Fees are separate and must be paid to the snow removal person. I'd also make myself available to speak with them during a time like this, just for support so they don't feel panicked. 

This might make things better. Sounds like a nice place you have there. I love the snow personally, though I wouldn't want to be locked in if I had a flight to catch. Knowing this could happen, and being aware of the solutions empower guests to prepare for these sort of natural events. 

Blessings. 

Dear @Laura6774 :

My listing is in sunny Florida. We do not experience snow in this state. If the temperature drops to 40 degrees you might need to wear a jacket or a sweater for your personal comfort. During this time of year, (the snow birds) usually migrate to Florida to spend the rest of the winter season, then they return home.  I am extending an open invitation to you.  Come visit us in Palm Bay Florida, and enjoy the warmth,  comfort and beauty of Florida through Air bnb.  You  can register at R&J Halo Services, LLc.  You will love it here.

Zoe338
Level 3
Vancouver, WA

Would it work to have a bag of salt on site for guests to spread if needed? Otherwise I feel if potential issues are disclosed on the listing guests have been forewarned and responsible for the choice they’ve made to stay.

@Laura6774 We leave ice melt and state they are free to use. I notate we shovel before arrival so it’s our best effort, but we’ll leave them at piece during their stay. So far so good!