Themed Weeks

Amy2908
Level 2
Warrenton, VA

Themed Weeks

Has anyone ever done themed weeks? I am thinking Harry Potter, Barbie, wine, art. Is that a thing? How do you promote that?

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What do you mean by themed weeks? What would this look like? How much would it cost you to do? 

What are your thoughts on the benefits for you of doing so @Amy2908 

Thinking of decorating with a theme. Like Harry Potter, Frozen, etc. Nothing crazy, but a simple theme for space.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Obviously you can but why would you want to have to keep redecorating and put off the majority who won't be interested in such themes ? @Amy2908 

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

It sounds fun and could appeal to lots of people 🙂 I'm not sure how to pull it off if you're changing frequently; need to have a place to store decor, need to have enough decor 'props' to get them noticed in your space/rooms, possible need to retake photos to promote..

I've read people don't pay attention to decor or themes; and that one should choose minimal and stark/neutral decor to appeal to everyone. IMO one cannot appeal to everyone 🙂 We offer themed rooms and visitors are pleasantly surprised with each one. We get known by word of mouth and friends of friends and mostly people want to see the decor.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'd suggest trying it on a small scale (Maybe one room to start ?) and see if it works for you. Decor can be expensive and those extra little touches are often things that can be broken or taken (true with even minimal decor, though). Consider using museum putty to hold things in place (theft and handling deterrent). Use items that don't have a lot of extra cost; paint your own signs, sew pillows, frame pictures or magazine pics, visit thrift stores for a few good pieces and be willing to adapt.

Avoid infringement by not making money (booking your rental by) using protected materials like: movies, songs, quotes or  images of known/famous people, books, movies, etc. Yes, they can come after you.

Wine and art can be combined if you like. Have a wine-tasting evening with guests painting 🙂

Wine Bath experience: wine bottle candle holders, wine scented soap, free small bottle of wine or tiny liquors to sip while soaking, bottle of wine colored nail polish...

Simple Art Experience: hang copies of famous art (paintings, sculptures) and give guests a tip for each one to see if they can name either the artist or the name of the work. Maybe have a novel gift-reward if they turn in their correct answers to you (keychain, notebook or pen with artwork on it). Leave a coffee table art book out for them to peruse (and learn). Name the room after an artist. If you have any artists or museums in the area, leave info for guests so they can visit.

Sometimes people do have extra/spare time for activities and are happy to get involved. Not everyone will but don't let that stop you if you want to try it 🙂

Sophia
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Amy2908

This is a brilliant idea! 💡 I feel like you may even attract Guests that want to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries etc and have a particular theme they would like to surprise their loved one 😍

Is this something you would mention on your listing?  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Amy2908 That sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe you could come up with a schedule for the themes and/or do request from people that book. Possibly send Airbnb a pdf to post on your listing and then from there you could change it upon request.