Thermostat

Susie337
Level 2
Ormond Beach, FL

Thermostat

Has anybody had to put a lock box on their thermostat? I just had a guest who disobeyed my guidelines and had the thermostat at 65° 24 seven for 30 days. I just got the utility bill for that Airbnb, which is normally $138 and this time it was $400, therefore, I am going to put a lock box on my thermostats and leave it set at a reasonable temperature 

19 Replies 19
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Susie337 we have locked covers on all our thermostats. They were fitted soon after the start of the Ukraine war and we have yet to get a single complaint. We do make it clear to folks that we will adjust the settings (remotely) if needed to ensure their comfort.

Not sure I can adjust remotely bout I live close by. Tnx

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Susie337 I would look into a Nest style thermostat that can be controlled by your phone.

tnx

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Susie337 👋

Great question and a really wonderful point of view from @Mike-And-Jane0 😊 Do you think you'll look into a smart thermostat and lock boxes?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Most definitely. I cannot have my thermostats at 65. My last utility bill was $330 when the norm for two years has been $148 to $173. Thanks 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Oh my goodness that is really high @Susie337 😯 and with the current costs of energy (even though they have gone down a little bit for us in the UK) that's a lot of extra on top! 

If you have a search in the top of the Community, there have been previous conversations about smart thermostats which may help you make a decision on which one would be best for you. 

Do you think that you'll amend anything in your listing description or need to know section to highlight the thermostat issue further? 

Looking forward to hearing from you 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I am going to amend my listing noting that thermostats will be locked. I can’t afford $300 electric bills at the rate I charge for Airbnb in my area.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Susie337 we have some text in our listings - feel free to use it if you like it

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Susie337 When I saw the thermostat headline I thougt oh they must be in Florida.😁. The AC temp and thermostat is the bane of my existence during the summer in Florida.  I simply dread it.

I have the Nest E learning thermostats in 8 units.  You can lock it so that temp can be adjusted in a range. It also has an Eco setting where the AC will shut off when the unit is empty.  This has been a great savings for me. A lot of guests want to lower it below the set range though.   

Last week it was extremely hot and humid, heat index temp of 105.  Guests do not understand that you can't turn theAC to 70 and get it to 70 when it's that hot out.  Then the messages start that the AC isn't working.  😔 It was so bad I created a message that will go out to guests on arrival day and it's also in my digital guest guide, that nobody reads. Basically letting them know that when the heat index is 105 the thermostat and temp will not go any lower than 20 degrees below the outside temp.

Personally I would love to just put a lock box on it and set to one temp however everyone is a little different with temp so that would be too restrictive IMO. 

Look into the Nest, I also think Ecobee has one that can be locked in a range. Ecobee also has sensors you can put on your doors and windows that will shut the AC down if a window or door is open after a certain set time.  This is huge becuase guests love to have the sliders open with AC turned down low.  

Karen

I do live in Florida. But I cannot make these people understand setting the thermostat to 60 is not gonna help actually the unit froze up and we had to have them turn it off for two hours and it started working again issue on my other Airbnb across the street the guy ran it at 65 for 30 days and my utility bill was almost $400. This is unacceptable. My brother-in-law is the owner of an AC company so I am going to to get his advice as I have an ecobee at my house and I’ve also heard Ernest is a good one. Thank you for your input. It was very helpful.

I like the Ecobee! No you can't force anyone to do anything, but you can reset it from your phone! And you can put it in your description for renters; and make it a house rule. That might deter people from renting from you that like freezing. You can also point it out on your bill and send them a request. 

Furthermore, maybe use language like we are environmentally sensitive, and list some of those ways. If you add an argument to your case besides $$ It holds better! I could be like switching from liquid detergent in a plastic bottle to those detergent sheets - or using simple green or vinager to clean instead of like Fabu - or using biogradable wipes instead of those ones that aren't compostable. Dont get mad get even! LOL best of luck from Texas. Signed, Sweltering. 

@Susie337 It's a battle of wits for sure.  Your brother in-law may be able to write something up to leave in your home with his company letterhead stating that lowering the AC more than 20 degrees below the outdoor temp will not make the unit cool any quicker and you likely will not get it to your desired temp.  I was not aware of this until my AC guy educated me on it. 

My guests that are from Florida get it and don't try to lower it crazy.  Most set at 75-76 when it's that blazing hot out.  It's the guests from the north east and mid west that want polar temps.  Why do you come to Florida in the summer time if you are so heat intolerant?

Karen
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Susie337 

We've always had remote control of heating and cooling. We don't give guests control over it for obvious reasons. There is no thermostat exposed to them. If they want something different, they can just send a message, and we can change it instantly. 

Like @Mike-And-Jane0 , we've never had a complaint.

22ºc seems to be the sweet spot for virtually all guests. A handful like it a little warmer in winter (23º or 24º in rare cases), but overall, 22ºc seems to be the most comfortable for them  (that's about 72ºF).

However, we are in the process of providing guests some limited control - allowing them to adjust between say,  21ºc and 24ºc.