This bed bug situation in France is very concerning….

Answered!
Lyn-and-Gavin0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

This bed bug situation in France is very concerning….

We get lots of guests who do the Paris and then London trip. Anyone else concerned. is there anything hosts can do to preve.

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lyn-and-Gavin0 

Remove any soft furnishings that can have a suitcase set down on it and have bedbug transfer, like the furry rugs I saw in one of your properties.  

Purchase bed bug encasements for your mattresses (and box springs).  This should make you feel better about protecting your furnishings from a possible infestation.  Read up on how to disinfect your bedding between guests and how to treat your washer and dryer after the laundry.

If you want your guests to feel super confident that the beds are bedbug free, bundle/package the sheets and bedding and let the guest know that this is done for their own protection, and you are providing a pristine accommodation.  

Best wishes!

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lyn-and-Gavin0 

Remove any soft furnishings that can have a suitcase set down on it and have bedbug transfer, like the furry rugs I saw in one of your properties.  

Purchase bed bug encasements for your mattresses (and box springs).  This should make you feel better about protecting your furnishings from a possible infestation.  Read up on how to disinfect your bedding between guests and how to treat your washer and dryer after the laundry.

If you want your guests to feel super confident that the beds are bedbug free, bundle/package the sheets and bedding and let the guest know that this is done for their own protection, and you are providing a pristine accommodation.  

Best wishes!

Thank  you Lorna, rugs removed.  Mattress encasement ordered.  Full inspection of mattress and soft furnishings for both rooms on check out-and check in.  All spare sheets and bedding/ Linen removed from cupboards in rooms so as not to get contaminated.  Lavendar oil dotted around room……..  numbers of pest companies saved into phone…… 🤞🤞🤞🤞.    Taken instant book off……Don’t think I can do anymore precaution wise.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Encourage Guests to do their laundry before they come to your home, and of course have a shower - it staggers me how many people only shower once every couple of days - However some of those people have lived in countries without abilities to change their systems.

Teresa497
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have the same concerns as I'm also renting out my spare room.

Unfortunately my room isn't big enough to have a luggage stand.

However, I'm considering explaining to guests about the situation and ask them if i can put their suitcase in the shed during their stay.

If that's not possible to refrain from putting their suitcases on the beds.