Unique stay with challenging access?

Adam1784
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Unique stay with challenging access?

Hello, I am looking into developing a unique stay property in the wilderness. I am confident that the site itself would be totally amazing experience for the guests. However, access to the site is challenging. From the parking area, guests would have walk about 500 feet along a trail, part of which goes down quite a steep hill (and back up when its time to leave). The trail would be a combination of steps and path and would be well lit and well maintained. A person who is generally comfortable walking should have no problem going up and down, but it would be a bit annoying with a suitcase. 

As I mentioned, I am confident that once the guests arrive at the site itself, they will be blown away. However I am concerned that the access might be too restrictive. I am curious if there are other hosts out there who have a unique stay/OMG property with challenging access, and how much of a limitation you find that to be in terms of bookings (if at all)? How much challenge are guests willing to have in order to be rewarded with something amazing? And what do you do to make it worth it to them?

Thanks so much for your advice!

3 Replies 3
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Adam1784 

Your doing  great identifying something  irritating.  I bet since there is a lot of host intellect.  Do  you  have the ability to  share pictures of the  path?  Someone   might  bee able to offer suggestions of  something   to    make lugging in and  out   easier..  You're dealing with  luggage  and food..

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Adam1784, thank you so much for bringing this topic to our community!

Have you had a chance to read Marie's comment? It would be wonderful if you could share some pictures so our Hosts can provide their valuable insights on the pros and cons of this situation.

Looking forward to your response 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Adam1784  I'm the sort of person who will backpack into a rustic cabin and enjoy the hell out of it. Walking 500 feet would not be a problem at all. You simply have to be absolutely clear about what to expect at your listing: the walk down the path, along with everything else. 

There are tons of outdoorsy people for whom a 500 foot walk, up or down, wouldn't be a problem. Could you keep some large back-pack style baskets or bags in the parking area for guests to use? Not a real backpack, but something large with an open top, so folks could simply throw things inside and carry them (relatively) easily down the path? Same for bringing things back up? They make large drybags for river running/rafting that might work. 

Obviously, you would have your place well outfitted, so guests would only have to bring their clothes and food. And you could certainly keep cooking basics in your listing so they don't have to bring cooking oil, etc. 

The thing about STRs is simply to be absolutely clear about what you're offering, so there are no surprises. 

If you build it, they will come. I don't know how old you are, but that's a reference to Field of Dreams, a movie that Kevin Costner was in. Anyway, good luck. Sounds amazing.