Weight scales

Answered!
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Weight scales

A guest asked me if I have a weight scale so they can weigh their suitcases before they leave for their flight. What a great and simple thing to have, and Airbnb should add it to their amenities options. Is there a reason it is not already there? Is it that controversial that it is not already there? The only thing I can think of is that people don't like to be reminded of their weight on vacation.
Anyway, for this particular case, I will lend mine.

Do you think an Airbnb property should include weight scales?

Surely not the portable ones, they will tend to disappear. 

1 Best Answer
Tom4329
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

We’ve been hosting for over year now and never had the question but I don’t see a problem in supplying this. If people don’t want to see their weight then I assume they wouldn’t use them.

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Judith872
Level 2
Boyds, MD

Hello @Guy991 

This is a great question and although I have not had any guests request a weight scale, I believe having one available would be a valuable asset for traveling.  I agree, not a portable one.  

Scott1363
Level 2
Norwalk, CT

We don’t have one but if we were going to offer one, I would get one of the handheld scales specifically for weighing a suitcase. Our Airbnb is attached to our home so if a guest needed to  borrow our regular scale I could certainly let them do that. 

We’re not really a vacation destination as much as grandparents visiting kids or other people visiting family in the area. I don’t worry about things disappearing from the property.  If it’s small, we just replace it. If it’s large, we would file a claim with Airbnb.

Stephen1364
Level 2
Houston, TX

I have never had a guest request a weight scale nor have I ever stayed at an Airbnb listing that included one. Could be something to consider if we receive multiple requests for one. Specialty amenities like this are a nice touch but I wouldn't require it.

Thanks 🙂

@Rebecca 

Touria12
Level 1
Chapel Hill, NC

yah i would

Tom4329
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

We’ve been hosting for over year now and never had the question but I don’t see a problem in supplying this. If people don’t want to see their weight then I assume they wouldn’t use them.

Victoria1631
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

Lending your weight scale for guests to weigh their suitcases is a considerate and practical gesture, especially for those who are flying and may be concerned about luggage weight limits. Your thoughtfulness in this scenario highlights an excellent point about the utility of such an amenity beyond personal weight measurement. In this context, a luggage scale can be seen as a different amenity from a personal body weight scale, focusing more on practicality and travel convenience.

Airbnb amenities often reflect what hosts believe will make their property appealing and comfortable for guests. While not standard, luggage scales could indeed be a valuable addition to Airbnb's list of amenities, considering the growing importance of travel convenience and efficiency. The reason it might not be commonly listed could be due to the fact that it is currently less common for hosts to think about providing such a specific tool, or it may not have been widely requested by guests until more recently.

The concerns around guests being reminded of their weight on vacation apply more to personal weight scales rather than luggage scales. Including a luggage scale as an amenity focuses on the practical benefits for travelers, avoiding the potential sensitivity associated with personal weight.

Given your experience and the practical benefit outlined, suggesting to Airbnb or mentioning in your own listing that you provide a "luggage scale" could set your property apart, showing potential guests that you're thoughtful about their travel needs. This small addition could greatly enhance the guest experience, demonstrating attention to detail that can make a big difference in convenience for travelers.

VICTORIA
Tim258
Level 2
Haslet, TX

Hello,

You know, I never thought of this before. Yes, for traveling it is a good idea. But it's a different scale than a scale for your physical weight. So, a luggage scale would be a helpful amenity.

Sara-and-John0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Actually, I think it’s a great idea! I know when I go on vacation, I wish I had one. 

Susan5609
Level 2
Wānaka, New Zealand

I have never had anyone ask  and we’re only 1 hour aprox from an international airport. Personally I wont because its another extra  thing which I wouldn’t have room for in my accommodation which is a tiny house .

But if you think its to your advantage Then good idea 

I would love to weigh some of the guests that check in here(just kidding) Had 2 broken beds in the past few months. New beds.  But back to weighing suitcases, we must have one to lend our guests. We are on a farm close to the airport and we accommodate plenty of guests for their last stayover before departing.

Tim406
Level 2
Enola, PA

Providing a spring scale (rather than a bathroom scale) to weigh luggage is a great idea.

I have family members with eating disorders, and weight scales are a strict 'no-no'. If a long-term guest wants to weigh themselves, they'll go out and buy one. I've never had anyone ask for or comment about a bathroom scale (I don't provide one).

I have some guests traveling by air and many by car.

I have never been asked for a scale but I do have one in one of my suites.

I would be afraid of advertising this, having someone rely on it and finding out that a small inaccuracy caused a last minute problem.

BEWARE of suggesting new "amenities" for Airbnb. Apparently, they added "Locks on bedroom doors"  at some point and labeled all my rooms as not having them when, in fact, we have always had locks on the doors!  Very annoying and inaccurate.

Sherry509
Level 2
Muskogee, OK

I provide a body scale because I'd like to keep my weight in check while on vacation.  It's just a nice surprise amenity for guests.

Seth271
Level 2
Randallstown, MD

I think a weigh scale is a great idea, but hope the scale does not walk away

I have one of those handheld ones and they can ask for it if needed.