Weird requests

Answered!
Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Weird requests

Hi all, this is just a fun thread but I received a really odd message a few hours ago. 

Of course, I declined the guest but I think this must rank in one of the more wackier things I’ve had to deal with. 😂😂

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I LOVE your blue bathroom @Neil408 !! 

I also hate cream/magnolia! - boring! - I've perused your listing before when you posted & think your whole place is GORGEOUS! Particularly the shade of blue in the other rooms.....

I even like your bathroom blue! - In the old photo of it being white/cream/ it looks drab & cold & boring! BLUE IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!!!! (I guess a slight problem is the  old beige tiles, SO popular 10-20 yrs ago.... - Your lovely blue would go better with white tiles, whereas beige tiles  don't lend themselves to complimenting colours... except maybe sage, or red if you're being bold!

You home share... So, YOUR HOME, your taste in colours! Guests have NO BUSINESS finding fault with your colour scheme; it's YOUR home, not a hotel! - (If I was painting an 'entire place' for guests only, I'd paint the colours I thought MOST guests would like - the ghastly ubiquitous grey these days! But, Your HOME = Your colour choice!)

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94
Neil408
Level 10

That’s interesting 🧐 😁 never thought of that 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Neil408 Sorry but the blue ruins the otherwise stylish bathroom. I vote for a re-paint. Please do feel free to comment on the colours in our listing!!!!!!

Neil408
Level 10

Your place looks lovely! I’m a huge fan of period property and my place is late Georgian era - I just personally wouldn’t have cream on the walls, I feel its the bland unimaginative choice & doesn’t add much - I like dark cosy colours for large rooms especially in older houses (see my lounge) but as said before, it’s personal choice. 

@Neil408 Its not cream its Magnolia! And more importantly when we have many many rooms to paint its £10 for 10 litres when Toolstation have a 2 for £20 offer.

Glad to see your friends have good taste in colour but its really hard if you don't want to go cream/white. 

Neil408
Level 10

My apologies - cream and magnolia are similar. £1 a litre is too cheap for paint. I wouldn’t say Toolststion is the right place to shop for paint in my opinion. Homebase or even your local paint store will be better. For that price it won’t be quality and by that I mean ‘finish and look’ when you compare cheap paint to quality paint you can see the difference. You should be looking at £3 per litre as a good price point - Dulux do something great base colours - whites, creams, magnolias at £3 per litre. I have a large place to do too, 7 rooms and 2 hallways. A lot of Airbnb is ‘first impression’ and the revenue you generate will pay for the Increased cost of paint very quickly. 

Neil408
Level 10

You might just want to consider how much you’re spending on your guests - typically a large room will take 5 litres of paint - let’s say you have 20 rooms in total that’s £100.

If you’re renting a room out for £40 a night let’s say (I don’t know how much you are letting it for) you’ll recoup any money whether you’re spending 1, 3 or £5 a litre. As a guest I’d like to know that someone has spent more than a fiver painting a room because where else have they tried to scrimp. For me, the initial investment to set up Airbnb was fairly large, probably £1500 once I’d factored in two beds, two comfortable mattresses, painting and decorating, kitchen, cleaning and breakfast items. But - I got that money back in 5 weeks from two rooms.  

Its Crown paint so a good quality

Neil408
Level 10

What’s your opinion on the other colours outside of my bathroom? It’s always good to get feedback 🙂 

@Neil408 I like the living room and kitchen colour of blue you've chosen. Maybe carry that through to the bathroom? Sorry, but I'm also not a fan. Otherwise, I think your place looks great. Nice pics too. 

Neil408
Level 10

Thanks! It’s always nice to hear constructive criticism.  The attached photo is the bathroom before I moved in. Just not a fan of white walls personally. 

2CFE81CF-843C-443D-8946-33046B002436.jpeg

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Neil408 White walls = boring, drab, cold! - Your bathroom looks MUCH more inviting BLUE! - It's a lovely blue too!!! 

(Might do mine that colour.... tiles are light blue/grey, so hopefully no clash......)

@Neil408   dark colors can make a small room like a bathroom look even smaller.  How about a nice, neutral white tone for the walls and then add color with some cool artwork?   You seem to have a great eye for that.  By the way, I do love the blue in the rest of your house.

Neil408
Level 10

Thankyou 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Neil408 

I think your guest has a bit pair of... not how to say it without getting it removed, but you know what I mean. At first I thought he was just plain rude and likely high maintenance, but then I saw the colour of your walls!

I'm afraid I have to agree, it is not doing the room any favours an what's with Yoda?

Like you, I love period properties and find white and cream walls really bland, but there are so many colour choices out there, blue or otherwise.

If you want an intense, vibrant blue, I painted this room in Airforce Blue by Little Green. It's hard to see the exact shade from a photo (these shots were taken by different photographers) but hopefully you get an idea. 

1st floor-1.jpgStockwell-SW9-london-houses-031-1200x781.jpg

However, personally I am not sure an intense blue would go with your tiles. I would maybe pick a warmer colour. I have used Little Greene's Hammock in one of my bedrooms and also in the downstairs loo. It's quite a neutral, pale coffee colour, but looks sophisticated and really warms up a room.