Weird requests

Answered!
Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Weird requests

Hi all, this is just a fun thread but I received a really odd message a few hours ago. 

Of course, I declined the guest but I think this must rank in one of the more wackier things I’ve had to deal with. 😂😂

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I LOVE your blue bathroom @Neil408 !! 

I also hate cream/magnolia! - boring! - I've perused your listing before when you posted & think your whole place is GORGEOUS! Particularly the shade of blue in the other rooms.....

I even like your bathroom blue! - In the old photo of it being white/cream/ it looks drab & cold & boring! BLUE IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!!!! (I guess a slight problem is the  old beige tiles, SO popular 10-20 yrs ago.... - Your lovely blue would go better with white tiles, whereas beige tiles  don't lend themselves to complimenting colours... except maybe sage, or red if you're being bold!

You home share... So, YOUR HOME, your taste in colours! Guests have NO BUSINESS finding fault with your colour scheme; it's YOUR home, not a hotel! - (If I was painting an 'entire place' for guests only, I'd paint the colours I thought MOST guests would like - the ghastly ubiquitous grey these days! But, Your HOME = Your colour choice!)

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94
Neil408
Level 10

Your photos do look good but I would try and take new photos of the en-suite and main bathroom - they are dark and don’t show off what are nicely done bathrooms. You can add filters on your phone if taking with a phone camera but the best option would be to have plenty of natural light on a when taking the photos or a dimmable artificial light behind you. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Neil408 We have the photographer coming back to photograph the 2 upstairs flats now they are nicely painted in Magnolia and Natural Hessian. I'll try and get her to improve the other photos at the same time.

Neil408
Level 10

If that same photographer did your original photos and you paid good money I’d ask for it back. 

@Neil408 I thought the photos were quite good. Anyway it was all done for free so I can't really complain!

Neil408
Level 10

You get what you pay for I guess! If the photographer isn’t using at minimum a tripod and a digital camera I wouldn’t employ them. Natural hand shakes however slight or pressing the button a bit too hard can easily make a photo look ‘off’. When I first took photos with my DSLR it was ‘point and shoot’ I then compare photos done with my tripod and there’s no contest between the two. I’m a keen amateur photographer but I would say that there’s a photo of a window with a garden view and it’s not even straight. A cheap tripod that you can buy for £10 would have sorted that all out. 

@Neil408 

Your pictures are great. I agree with Your advise to use a tripod. It's also worth to work on pictures with  Photoshop and/or some HDR software.

I also do  agree on Your "money back" remark to Mike and Jane. Some of their interior pictures are terrible, they are blurry.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Neil408 Re your point on straightness its important to let guests know what they are going to get. I don't think there are many vertical walls in this property and certainly some of the floors vary by several inches side-side. I'll have a look but the camera might have been straight!

Neil408
Level 10

Even a cheap tripod would have sorted this out to no end. You can clearly see that. My property was built in 1790 and also has the same ‘lack of straightness’ or ‘lack of uniformity’. My lounge and kitchen are definitely not square at all, the floors creak, the walls bow in (and out) and pretty much everything is wonky but I still managed to take level photos WITH A TRIPOD. Preparedness helps to no end. You can’t expect someone who does it for free to bring decent equipment. 

Helen350
Level 10

I LOVE your blue bathroom @Neil408 !! 

I also hate cream/magnolia! - boring! - I've perused your listing before when you posted & think your whole place is GORGEOUS! Particularly the shade of blue in the other rooms.....

I even like your bathroom blue! - In the old photo of it being white/cream/ it looks drab & cold & boring! BLUE IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!!!! (I guess a slight problem is the  old beige tiles, SO popular 10-20 yrs ago.... - Your lovely blue would go better with white tiles, whereas beige tiles  don't lend themselves to complimenting colours... except maybe sage, or red if you're being bold!

You home share... So, YOUR HOME, your taste in colours! Guests have NO BUSINESS finding fault with your colour scheme; it's YOUR home, not a hotel! - (If I was painting an 'entire place' for guests only, I'd paint the colours I thought MOST guests would like - the ghastly ubiquitous grey these days! But, Your HOME = Your colour choice!)

Neil408
Level 10

Thanks for the love. 😍 the only one on here haha! After reviewing my photos, the ‘nuclear blue’ is down to a filter I used on the photo. It’s not actually as bright as that in real life. See if I can re-post later 

Neil408
Level 10

This is much closer to the ‘real‘ colour. 

71820E63-8080-4F9E-B863-E29B22E2CFF3.jpeg

@Neil408  I'll tell you the main reason the blue isn't working for me - it doesn't let Yoda and Mr. Bowie shine as they should.

Although I love many shades of white to provide a neutral backdrop for art, I also ADORE a dark gray and think F&B's Mole's Breath or Down Pipe might work brilliantly in there, with the tiling, the stainless steel fittings, and the art.

Neil408
Level 10

That’s interesting! I originally painted in F&B down pipe but it was VERY dark in there, like a black grey and didn’t work for me. Now it’s F&B St Giles Blue which is VERY blue 

@Neil408  That's funny!  One trick with paint color is to mix it with 50% lighter color - in a room with windowsills and other trim that are painted a lighter color, the wall color might be mixed with 50% of the trim color.  If you love your blue but even you think it's TOO blue, you could mix with 50% Decorators' White or some such.  Not Magnolia.  Never Magnolia lol.

Helen350
Level 10

@Neil408  A strong burnt orange would compliment the beige tiles, and add some WARMTH - good thing in a bathroom!