What are your Top 5 or more amenities (1 - Very important - 10 least important) when booking a Listing

Answered!
Jennie181
Level 2
Jersey City, NJ

What are your Top 5 or more amenities (1 - Very important - 10 least important) when booking a Listing

The following are my Top 5 or more amenities when booking a listing:

1.  Wifi  (This is a must)

2.  Essentials  (towels, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, linens)

3.  Free parking  (if I'm driving in otherwise this feature will not be necessary if using public transportation)

4.  Air conditioner and heater

5.  A Kitchen/Kitchenette  (be able to cook or heat up left overs)

6.  A washer/dryer

7.  Self check-in  (there should be no need to meet the Host)

1 Best Answer
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Jennie181 

This can change from area to area and country to country, I did come across a web site recently that would show the most requested amenities in my area,

I have never done self check in most of my guest like it, as a host it has saved me from potential trouble, where a booking for 4 and 9 turn up, 

This is for where I live, which is Phuket 

322544617_841731550383199_5437148705425481899_n.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

There is no need for air conditioning in lots of countries.

Many hosts want to meet their guests, as they need to be reassured that the guests are reasonable people who will respect their properties.

Some hosts will not have a tumble drier.

@Fiona256 @Jennie181 

As a home share host, I meet my guests and am present (by ordinance) in the home at all times when there is a guest present. I strongly suspect this is one reason why we've had only respectful guests, in all these years. 

Our off-grid Frank Lloyd Wright home could be tricky for anyone not familiar with off-grid living in the wilderness; so it is only prudent that hosts be present. Septic tank plumbing could also be a mystery to some guests. For safety reasons, especially in fire season, it is prudent that we be on site. We take our commitment to safety quite seriously. 

A/C is not common here in temperate N California, as in many countries and regions of the world. We have it, for the convenience of our guests.  It is a mini split. Our guest suite has terrific cross ventilation, so fresh air is obviously preferable to A/C. Being off-grid solar, we have enough electricity to run A/C in those few times when it is needed. 

Our washer and dryer are not available to short term guests, unless they request to use them. Water is precious in this region, so we only run a full load in washer. Both appliances are dependent on generator in winter. 

For me as a guest, all I ask for is really basic. Indoor plumbing is not a necessity for me, nor is anything more than a dry place to sleep. A mattress on a dry floor is fine, in a good tent, or under a bit of roof that doesn't leak. I carry all my basics with me, and am happy living out of a day pack. A bowl of rain water to wash up in is all I need. 

As a host, I provide what I believe should be available and expected in a 5 star hotel.  I offer concierge type service to my guests and in-person hospitality as appropriate. Flexibility as a host is pretty important, imho, as every guest is different. 

Kitty

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Jennie181 most hosts only meet their guests for about eight minutes but it has been my experience and that of many other hosts ,that a run through of the possibly difficult points of the house and the appearance of a friendly face , that is not unexpected,because of previous communications always means five stars for checkin and communication. Hosts have also security reasons of their own for doing this . I like your points but I think you can see from the response here that we consider that part of hosting to be paramount ,especially to keep everyone ,on the same page and safe ..... H

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Jennie181 ,

Thanks for sharing this post with us! I have moved it to a wider board to gain more traction.

Even if requirement of different amenities may differ from country to country ; Surely, this is an interesting checklist for both Hosts and Guests at any given moment🙌.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

For an off-grid place:

1. Absolute cleanliness and expected essentials

2. A welcoming kitchen

3. Comfortable bedding

4. Clean bathroom with at least a dependable warm shower

5. Adequate power & water source

6. WiFi

7. A host with a winning personality

@Fred13 

7. A host with a winning personality, That counts me out then

Ha ha....but you are always winning.........H

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Jennie181 

This can change from area to area and country to country, I did come across a web site recently that would show the most requested amenities in my area,

I have never done self check in most of my guest like it, as a host it has saved me from potential trouble, where a booking for 4 and 9 turn up, 

This is for where I live, which is Phuket 

322544617_841731550383199_5437148705425481899_n.jpg

So interesting, @Sudsrung0, the different priorities in different parts of the world. Hot water and safety are so low on the list you show, and hot water in particular would be for the most part such a given requirement here in the US that it wouldn’t even be thought of. Not such a high priority where you are.

@Pat271 

The water is always warm here especially now look forward to cold shower after a day down the beach,

Thailand is classed as a pretty safe country we try to keep the tourist safe also, 

Especially here in Phuket tourism is our main business,

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jennie181  While I agree with most of what is on your list, I would not expect an AirBnB host to provide me with shampoo, conditioner or other personal body products.  An adequate supply of towels and bathroom paper products would be a must (of course!).

I remind my guests to bring their own toiletries as there will only be hand soap in the listing.

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Jennie181   Interesting subject and will probably show that everyone is different in what they require, when and where. 

I am afraid with one of my listings, I would fail miserably for your wish list.  No Wifi, No washer/dryer, heating but no aircon, essentials but no shampoo and conditioner (I think that is a personal taste), and definitely no self check-in, I am afraid if I didn't meet and greet you wouldn't be able to open the gate, you need a blipper to do this !  

For me, if I had a opportunity to get away, I would really prefer the following if staying in the U.K.

1.  Dog friendly.

2.  Peaceful surroundings, no neighbours, solitude.

4.  Large private garden. 

3.  Sea Views 

4.  A well equipped kitchen to rustle up something for family dinners and picnics. 

5.  If in winter.  Some type of open fire, log burner alongside central heating. 

6. Comfortable chairs, settees, beds & bedding.

7.  A bath with plenty of hot water !

8.  A plentiful supply of jigsaws, books, games for cold & wet days (plenty of those in the U.K.)

If heading out of the U.K.  I think @Fred13 your listing would be at the top of my wish list !

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

From me it would depend what sort of holiday or stay you are looking for @Jennie181 

The whole point of staying in a STR is that properties and amenities are individual.

I would want different amenities for a romantic weekend then I would for a family seaside break

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennie181 

I don't think I can easily answer this question because, for me at least, it totally depends on where I am travelling to, what type of trip I am making and for how long and also the budget. For example, I wouldn't expect the same things if camping/glamping as I would staying in a luxury villa.

1. Unless it's some sort of digital detox, I would say WiFi is a must.

2. I would also want bedlinen, towels and toilet paper as I really don't want to have to travel with these nor buy them while away, but I the toiletries would be a nice to have rather than a must have. The number of towels needed depends on the length of the trip.

3. A shower and preferably a decent one!

4. A fridge (It drives me crazy that some hotels have stopped providing this in the rooms in a hope you'll spend more at the bar/restaurant).

5. Heating if the climate is cold. I am not so fussed about air con, which I rarely use, unless it's very hot and, even then, a fan would do.

6. Some sort of outdoor space, whether that's a balcony, courtyard or garden, unless I plan to be out all of the time.

I'd only really want a washing machine on longer trips. While a kitchen/kitchenette would be useful, I don't need one if it's a short trip, e.g. a weekend or just a few days. And I don't mind at all if it's self check in or in person, but I would definitely want my own key or a code, rather than have to rely on someone to let me in.

I really think though the main is that the listing clearly states the amenities, not just so I can decide if it's for me or not, but so that I know what to pack, what I might need to buy when I get there etc. and not have to try to figure out that stuff when I get there.