Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

What do you do with refrigerated products that people leave?

Answered!
Nina204
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

What do you do with refrigerated products that people leave?

I have been Airbbing my property for about 3 months now. 

Some people leave refridgerated and frozen items.  The things that have been opened I usually discard other than dressing, ketchup etc.  What is everyone's opinion on keeping things for the next guest?  If someone had ice cream that they used should I leave it or would you find that gross? 

I personally wouldn't eat it but know others that would appreciate it.   This is a whole house so the guests have the house to themselves which I think may make a difference.  Thanks for any opinions

Top Answer

I agree with the others on tossing opened items except condiments.

However for the never opened or used items I simply check the expiration date. If the grocery store would allow a return within their return period of an unwanted unopened unexpired item and stick it back on the shelf then I don't see the harm in keeping it.

For the opened items (which although gross is still technically perfectly good food in most cases ) i am lucky because I have a longer-term tenant who started as an Airbnb guest that I am now helping while he is in school.  He came from a country where a lot of people are very poor and therefor he was raised not to waste anything. So he gladly takes any and all of the still edible food (checking if it's still good first of course) they happen to leave behind. 

I wonder how hard it would  be to ontact the local homeless shelter or see if there is any programs with your local government or church would possibly take unspoiled items off you hands and hand them out. Or you could always had it out to them personally . 

Lastly I want to share a tip I found works for saving money on condiments:  so after telling the guest they can use any and all condiments (so they don't have to buy them all themselves only to have to abandon it if they can't take them with them for space reasons), I ask the guests to just replace that single item with the same thing or an item of the same approximate value. This also helps because most guests will forget to tell you what items you ran out of during their plus you dont have to task them with it either. 

Hope this helps !  Cheers - SJ

View Top Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Nancy1249
Level 3
Nokomis, FL

In my check out instructions, I ask them to get rid of opened perishables except for condiments, butter and eggs. I keep the butter and eggs for the most part. 🙃 

I want them to toss half-eaten containers of ice cream, half filled bottles of milk and juice, that kind of thing. Anything unopened is ok to leave, whether refrigerated or not. I give away what I don’t want to keep myself. 

I have to say, dealing with leftover opened food and drink by people who don’t bother to read my check out instructions is one of my least favorite hosting tasks. 

Sarah4413
Level 1
Montclair, NJ

How do people feel about things in the freezer? I use my house part time and airbnb it part time and I'm wondering if guests will feel grossed out if I leave stuff in the freezer.

@Sarah4413  Maybe get some containers you can put it all in. If there are just some containers which you tell guests is your own food, as you live there when you don't have guests, it wouldn't seem to me to be perceived in the same way as a bunch of separate, often unidentifiable items, which can sometimes look gross, like a package of meat.

Alternatively, I see your listing has a garage- you could get a small freezer to keep your own frozen food in out there.

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

A lot of people just eat out of the tub of ice cream with a spoon so I would absolutely not leave it for the next guest.

@Andrea4731  My kids used to stick their finger in the jar of Nutella and lick it off, and repeat : -)

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

You must toss anything open regardless of the use by date. Even sauce bottles. You don't know if it's been contaminated.