What’s your approach to inclusive hosting?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What’s your approach to inclusive hosting?

Bhumika_0-1687380626234.png

As a reminder, Pride is celebrated globally during the month of June to promote acceptance and equity for LGBTQ+ communities. Host Advisory Board members @Daniel1651 and @Kirk124 are leading a Host Community social campaign by creating Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok posts highlighting their individual approaches to helping guests of all backgrounds and orientations feel welcome and safe. To help you keep #hostingwithpride, we’ve gathered some graphics here (in 12 languages!) that you can share on your favorite social platforms to amplify the message if you’re interested. Some ideas for what to share in your social posts:

• What’s your approach to inclusive hosting? How do you let guests of all backgrounds, orientations and abilities know that they will be safe and welcome in your space?
  • Have you ever made an unexpected connection with a guest that helped you better understand an unfamiliar culture? Consider sharing your story to inspire others!

For more ideas about how to be an even more inclusive Host, check out Airbnb’s Guide to Inclusive Hosting.

Bhumika
Updated 23 June 2023

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

23 Replies 23
Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

I love your words, @Suzanne302 😍

"The world is not set up with systems that treat all people equally and until it is, those of us who are allies must be proactive about specifically setting up safe spaces" 👏👏

Thanks for being an ally!

Lot of love from Tenerife 🙂

All people are welcome to my houses too.
I believe ALL LIVES MATTER. 
We all need to be spreading kindness , to all people. 

Kirk124
Atlanta, GA

Thanks so much for sharing, this Bhumika!

As we celebrate Pride this month, it's a great reminder to look at our inclusive hosting practices to ensure we're being intentional about being welcoming for our guests of all backgrounds and orientations.

For me, we include this language in our listing: "Our listing is welcome to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status."

#hostingwithpride

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Actually, it's sad that this has to be an issue at all. Because although all guests are equally welcome at our home, I do have to intervene in groups from time to time, especially when it comes to discrimination against guests from certain regions of origin. I hope that one day these prejudices will be obsolete.

Fun Fact: last week we got caught up in the Vienna Pride Parade 2023. Heartbreaking and loud!

Vienna PrideVienna Pride

Daniel1651

Hey @Till-and-Jutta0 

Glad to see you here! 

Thanks to share your thoughts and also the lovely picture from Vienna Pride!

Honestly, I'm open to just about everyone as long as they are nice and considerate. This is what I write at the end of my "About This Space" section:

"....Our neighbors have been supportive of us renting part time to visitors. Please say "hello!" and feel free to introduce yourself. It's how our neighborhood/block vibe works :-)..."

And this is my description in the "Where You'll Be" section under the map:

"....Central Hyde Park is an eclectic mix of people both in age, economic status, and race/religions. We are close knit but not cliquish. And we're open to anyone who loves our vibe...."

@Christine615 

I love that "Where you'll be" description! I live in a similar type of neighborhood.

Daniel1651

@Christine615 I really appreciate the way you encourage interaction with the neighbours! That also speaks of the commitment to integrate guests with the local culture ❤️

In my accommodation in Tenerife, we also have very nice neighbours who, although they don't speak English, are always smiling and trying to talk to the guests. And they even give them avocados from their tree (The guests are delighted and I am very happy that this integration occurs).

I'll write down your phrase to incorporate it into my ad. Greetings!

Daniel.-

Daniel1651

Hello everyone, 

I would like to invite you to have a look of these 2 posts with ideas, tips and recommendations about how to be an (even) more inclusive hosts. See you there! ❤️

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/Tips-for-an-even-more-inclusive-commu...

and

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/How-to-Let-Guests-Know-That-My-Listin...

@Christine615  @Suzanne302  @Till-and-Jutta0 @Dayle7 @Jules155 @Irma271 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Helen3