Where does "No pets allowed" appear in the listing?

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Where does "No pets allowed" appear in the listing?

I have selected that I do not allow pets in my listing. Occasionally I get someone who asks to bring pets. The guest I'm hosting today wanted to bring two bulldogs to stay while he attended a party. He didn't let me know until after I approved the booking, then seemed to take offense to it. I said I have in my listing that I do not allow pets. He wanted to know precisely where it appeared because he couldn't find it. I believe it appears when they are booking process, but can anyone tell me exactly where that is?

I have marked no to the question "do you allow pets?" in my listing. I know that Airbnb has a non-discrimination policy for service animals but this is simply someone with two dogs that they want to bring so they don't need to find a petsitter. I suggested he call Airbnb so they can help him find pet-friendly accommodations but he said no he'll find a pet sitter. I really hate these difficult conversations. 

20 Replies 20
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

It’s under “Things to Know” at the bottom of the front page.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jillian115 It's in the house rules at the bottom of the listing. Where guests never scroll. Also, apparently Airbnb has removed the pet friendly filter in searches. Be prepared to field a lot more of these requests 🙄 They have increased for me as well. Considering at least putting my own 'no pets listing' line at the top of my description. I really don't want to have to lead with that though. I have a template message to reply to pets requests that says 'because we are listed as no pets, we must adhere to that rule in consideration of allergic guests who book on the assumption that there will be no traces of pet dander. Thanks so much for understanding!" I really do feel for severely animal allergic guests who struggle to find a truly pet free listing, thanks to the way Airbnb operates.

@Colleen253 @Pat271 It appears I didn't scroll down far enough either.  Thanks! I knew it was there but couldn't find it when he asked me for proof. Oh well. I'm hoping for the best on this one. He's ignored all my communication since. I'm really bummed to hear they took it out of the search criteria. I'm not looking forward to fielding more of these requests.  

@Jillian115 I just now had to field another request to bring a pet. Second one in a week. I don't normally get many. It's just beginning. 

@Jillian115 Be careful your listing rules describe the difference between “pets” and “assistance animals”. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I recently booked a place for myself and my dog, and I found the filter under the number of guests.  I thought it was interesting for the pet to be considered a guest and I like that.  Makes sense if you list a charge for the pet.  So when the guest entered the number of guests, the number of pets is displayed as well.  No reason to miss that I think.

@Linda108 But that isn’t a true filter. And it’s a problem when it’s for a ‘No pets allowed’ listing. This is where the problem is. It’s misleading, even if you can’t input the pet number. Guests are no longer able to search for pet friendly listings specifically.  Airbnb also basically invites guests to just claim their pet is an assistance animal, as @Marianne89 mentions. Bring the dog anyway, and skirt any pet fee too.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

People are lazy and often only look at photos. They barely read the description. 

So I have this as one of my photos, basically highlighting my most important rules.

As my accommodation is in my personal home, No you can't bring your fake ESA or any other pet in my home. I do understand the importance of trained service animals, so they are the ONLY animals I permit.

I do have language in my House Rules informing guests who might consider misrepresenting their pets as Service Animals to skirt my rule that in the state of Virginia it is a misdemeanor crime to impersonate a service animal.

Stephanie365_0-1639283817326.png

@Stephanie365 I like the idea of adding rules as an image. Guest do look at the pictures. I think I will do that. As @Colleen253 pointed out  this look like it's going to be an ongoing issue.

@Stephanie365 @Jillian115 👍I might add a ‘No pets’ image to my photos. Will wait and see how badly it’s needed first. 

@Colleen253  I just took a screenshot of the house rules and expanded the background so it fit without cutting off. It’s my last photo. 
73628997-99F7-4F19-B9E6-433A97D16EF2.jpeg

@Jillian115 Looks great! I have extended house rules so would have to have several photos 🤣

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephanie365@Colleen253 and all, 

I wanted to share a quick update with you - our policy had been updated to honour your concerns in regards to ESAs, giving you more control over pet fees. You can find more information here. 

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jillian115 Airbnb recently added a field for pets to be included when booking (if pets are allowed.) This is a huge plus for those of us who don’t allow pets, in my opinion.

0DC1D888-13FE-456E-B6A6-0C0C5234C95B.jpeg