WiFi Porter and QR Code internet access

Jeff2616
Level 2
Augusta, ME

WiFi Porter and QR Code internet access

Hi All, 

I wanted to make a recommendation for a quick method for helping guests get on your WiFi.  Guests have really liked that I had this device where they can just tap their phone on the top and instantly be logged into the internet.   I also used  the process in the following link to create a QR code that guests can scan to instantly connect to the wireless.  https://www.asurion.com/connect/tech-tips/how-to-share-home-network-info-with-qr-code/

I think connecting to the WiFi is one of the first things that people have to do when they arrive, and so making that process as simple as possible will hopefully start their visit off on a good foot. 

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 7.07.12 AM.png

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jeff2616 This would be a total waste of money for Airbnb hosts. Our guests have the internet name and password in the Airbnb app so just click on this when they arrive at our place and they connect automatically. I can only assume your guests didn't think to use what Airbnb supply.

Found this thread searching for documentation on setting up the automatic login. How do I do it? 

As a host, I didn’t know this existed but I used it as a guest at a couple Airbnbs in the UK recently. Now home in the US, I’ve been searching for documentation, but have found none. I even had two Airbnb agents tell me there was no such capability.

is it just a matter of saving the WiFi details? Can I verify the option is there for guests aside from asking them?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can see you've only being hosting a month so may not be familiar with the platform  @Jeff2616  guests don't need this they can access all the information they need including wifi access via their booking confirmation. 

and if hosts want to create QR codes they can do so for free they don't need to pay for an app. 

Jeff2616
Level 2
Augusta, ME

I never expected such a harsh and negative response to sharing a simple recommendation for a product/process that my guests have mentioned they enjoyed.  I don't see a reason to continue engaging in this community if these are the type of response offered.  One note - Only the owner of the Airbnb account will have the automatic WiFi access you mentioned.  Many times not all guests are logged into the renter's account or familiar with the Airbnb WiFi log-in on the App and so by offering multiple options a host can better accommodate a variety of guests.  Best of luck with your rentals. 

@Jeff2616 Sorry to have upset you but wasting money on unnecessary things is not a great idea for hosts.

Once the booked host has access to the wifi I think they can then share it with other devices very easily and get everyone working within seconds.

I actually really like both recommendations.

- Not only is the tap device a one time expense that is simple and inexpensive but it also enhances the customer experience by making the check-in process quicker, reduces effort and potential guest error. 

- The free QR code is a no brainer in my opinion. I already have signs all over the house with my wifi password. I can't believe I never thought of adding the QR code to the signs. Thank you! 

@Mike-And-Jane0 and @Helen3 - I agree with @Jeff2616. There was no need to express your opinions in such dismissive verbiage. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it is important to remain open minded and understand that not everyone's situation is the same. 

In my case, my cottage is in a valley with limited cell phone reception and sleeps 14 guests. Relying on the booked host to share the wifi password and house rules is less than ideal. They are often not even the first ones to arrive at the cottage plus sharing anything to a group of 14 tired people is never fun. 

@Jeff2616 - Thanks again for your awesome contribution 😁

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you felt my post was dismissive  @Chris18531 

I genuinely thought as a new host @Jeff may not have realised that the facilities for sharing wifi details is already available through the platform so there is no need to pay for an app.

personally I don't allow those who aren't the lead guest  to check in first.

In any case the wifi is available as part of the booking confirmation so the lead guest can share wifi  in advance with his / her party. 

to imply I am not open minded because I don't want to pay for an app because Airbnb already provides a facility for sharing wifi for guests is a rather personal, unnecessary  remark . I was trying to help.  Your response wasn't. 

I've been hosting for eight years and have had hundreds of guests - not one has ever had an issue with finding the wifi code on their booking confirmation. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry you saw my post trying to help as harsh and negative @Jeff2616  as a new host I genuinely thought you may not have realised wifi details are available to guests on their booking confirmation/or can be if the host sets up their listing that way.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Jeff2616 
Before our guests arrive, we already contacted them via WhatsApp.
That means they are in my contacts on my iPhone, and I'm in theirs.
I receive my guests personally.

When they open their iPhones to connect to the internet, my Wi-Fi codes are automatically shared.

You made me think about a QR code. I never thought of that. It might also be a handy solution.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Jeff2616 Thanks so much for sharing this great idea. It’s always best to have more than one option.