bedding

Answered!
Jim2290
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

bedding

I got a bad review because I missed a spot on the comforter in the bedroom. It's a king size bed and the comforter won't fit in my washing machine. Does anyone have a suggestion on bed coverings that can be washed? I'm not sure what to get? 

Top Answer
Kelly1313
Level 2
The Woodlands, TX

@Jim2290 , I tried duvet covers and as a biochemist, I don’t like them because they don’t really protect you from germs. Walmart sells comforters that are quite inexpensive and lightweight to wash. We have 7 beds and my housekeepers are able to wash all the bedding- including all comforters as well as the lightweight white comforters we use under the colorful one on top (I buy those from a Canadian company on Amazon- all sizes including King are $19.99).  Macys has awesome sales on sheets after Christmas. King size only $6.99 - normally $60. I load up!  I do refresh bedding quite often because it’s washed so often- I donate used clean to our local food and clothing pantry.  I also use Lysol for laundry so we can wash on the shortest load time and still sterilize.  Hope this helps!

View Top Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jim2290 Buy duvets and covers for duvets. Comforters are unhygienic if not washed between every stay. Interestingly if you are not washing them between stays then you are also not complying with the Covid cleaning protocols

Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Jim2290,

Duvets and duvet covers are the best way to go. You can get them in down or non down alternative (there are people who are allergic to down comforters). Wash them between guests and wash your duvet between longer stays and/or on a regular schedule (or if the sheets stain and get on the duvet itself).

Get pillow covers for your pillows and a mattress protector too. They are a lifesaver under the pillowcases and sheets. Once someone spilled coffee on my mattress protector and even the best stain removers couldn’t get it out initially. Luckily I got the coffee stain out of the sheets.

Thanks @Lorina14 

That was super helpful, I didn't know about Duvet's and Duvet covers. I will be ordering them right away. I was looking for an alternative to comforters as they are hard to wash and get trashed often. Do you know if they make waterproof Duvet covers or are they just cotton or some other fabric. 

I have mattress and pillow protectors already. We have the possibility of bedbugs here in Cincinnati so I got the bedbug proof ones. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jim2290 we have a waterproof duvet cover on one of our duvets and then colourful cotton duvet covers on top of it that get washed every time. 

Thanks I really like learning about the versatility of the Duvet's and Duvet covers!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jim2290 Its not all good news I am afraid. Depending on bed size its quite difficult to get the duvet neatly in the cover. Two people helps a lot!

@Jim2290,

~ bed bug proof protectors - didn’t know about them, wow!

I also spray my pillows with HOCL (Smart Clean on Amazon as it is odorless after a short time) or Seventh generation citrus disinfectant spray (made from thymol) and dry them in the dryer on high then air them out.

Most of my decorative pillows have covers so I wash them in between guests and spray them and dry them as well. Two 26”x 26” pillows on Amazon are great then buy two sets of decorative covers to change out between guests for each bed you have. I didn’t know my large pillows had hidden zippers so I was treating them and drying them before finding covers to change out each time.

The duvet comforters we buy wash and dry easily and like someone mentioned earlier, you could change them depending on the weather too (lighter or heavier one). I didn’t know about waterproof duvet covers so thanks to @Mike-And-Jane0 for the tip! 

@Jim2290. Hi Jim, in addition to the excellent advice here I assume you purchased the waterproof mattresses protectors that zip at sides. I also agree on using duvets with covers as easier to wash covers and the duvets inside can be light or heavy depending on the season. Also changes a room's look instantly.

When it comes to washing duvets, comforters and toppers its best to use a dry cleaner imo- industrial sized machines. Of course with plenty of sunshine and airing a non stained duvet can be swapped out and refreshed quite easily. I have a Hills Hoist- an Aussie invention I swear by.

@Frances3408 Thanks for your excellent advice! I appreciate all the comments on my post. This gives me really good direction! 

Kelly1313
Level 2
The Woodlands, TX

@Jim2290 , I tried duvet covers and as a biochemist, I don’t like them because they don’t really protect you from germs. Walmart sells comforters that are quite inexpensive and lightweight to wash. We have 7 beds and my housekeepers are able to wash all the bedding- including all comforters as well as the lightweight white comforters we use under the colorful one on top (I buy those from a Canadian company on Amazon- all sizes including King are $19.99).  Macys has awesome sales on sheets after Christmas. King size only $6.99 - normally $60. I load up!  I do refresh bedding quite often because it’s washed so often- I donate used clean to our local food and clothing pantry.  I also use Lysol for laundry so we can wash on the shortest load time and still sterilize.  Hope this helps!

@Kelly1313 Is it possible to send me a link to the Canadian company on Amazon, If not it's ok I'll just search for it. 

Thanks

Jim