Air Bnb open

Wayne13
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Air Bnb open

Hi my name is Wayne from South Africa Durban.

I have 40 plus listings on Air BnB and am adding daily hopefully to get to 100.

I was just wondering if any of your hosts are sponsored to get to the AIr BnB Open?

[Personal Information Hidden]

14 Replies 14
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

100 listings on Airbnb. Wow, no offence intended but this goes to show how far Airbnb has got from the concept of home sharing. Makes me sad.

And this isn't the first I've come across; I met a guy at open last year with 50 listings and know of a mega host in London.

To answer your question; yes people are sponsored but usually because of a contribution the host is making to the community ; e.g. Excellent hosting standards, work in the forums etc it's not going to be because you're making the company a load of cash.
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Makes me sad too, because it's hosts with so multiple purely commercial rentals that have given Airbnb such a bad reputation and extremely negative press in my city. And not only in this country.

Taking away living space off the rental market, turning whole streets into tourist ghettos just to name two. The consequence is that the city is considering cracking down even more on Airbnb which will sadly make the real home-sharers the ones who shall be losing out most in the end.

Hi Zandra

Thank you for your reply, i do represent many individual owners for prime beach front accommodation in the very popular Umhalanga area. I believe we are all here to offer the many users on the ever growning Air BnB site as many options as possible to get exactly what they are looking for.

I do provide an excellent hosting standard that my guests comment about and these comments inturn help keep me and my service that i offer in line. All of us in fact have to adhere to the AIr BnB standards or else we are penalized.

I do believe if ones rating is high and a person is doing the work then one should be rewarded.

totally agree. 

where is the one on one personal experience that is AIRBNB. 

100 geeze. this is the kind of thing that's taking all the counties to another level if wanting a tax percentage of the stay cut or mandating that a home sister can only share 6 times a year . im.in la county. long beach Calif 

sad so sad 

Raffaele119
Level 2
California, United States

Thanks, Zandra.  Excuse the ignorance, but what do you mean by "sponsored"? By whom?

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Zandra and Andrea,  Thanks for posting your concerns.  I too am very sad to read this post.  This kind of multiple listing is counterintuitive to the airbnb original philosophy.  I sometimes never want to visit this forum as it is depressing to see these kinds of posts.  I have also noticed that the growing number of problematic  guests seem to fit into this category of the offsite multiple listing  Host.  I strongly believe that multi listings by a single Host are at the root cause of the erosion of the caliber and quality of the newer Guests that are now using airbnb.

Sir, why don't you just set up your own independent business?  Your goals are so lofty, so the only reason why I can imagine you are doing this is for the money.  Believe it or not for many hard working Hosts it is not about the money, but about being apart, and a port in the storm of our rampant consumerism in our global economy. Please consider why you are doing this and the ramifications you will have to deal with regards to trying to manage that many listings.  The headaches you are going to have to deal with along the way is overwhelming.   100 listings! is unmanageable and quite frankly borders on abuse of the airbnb platform.  I am sorry as  I am disheartened with your grand scheme, it doesn't belong on airbnb

Eloise

Hi Eloise

Thank you for your reply and your concerns.

Please see my reply to Zandra.

In the end AIr BnB has created a very user friendly product that is offering people reliable, affordable choice where to stay on holiday or bussiness. What i am doing is representing many owners in one road in a very popular area in Durban, Umhlanga.

I have been offering this good service and choice for people coming to visit Umhlanga for the past two years, growing the apartments i am offering by one or two a month.

My rating and comments are high and Air BnB enaures that this is kept at a high standard with the system they have in place.

We are all in it for the money and for the love of providing a honest reliable service to the community, options of where to stay.

Like any business.

Happy hosting, wishing us all well.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And in the process turning parts of that city into a total ghost town. You said one street... One street turned over to Airbnb how sad.

Very sad that people are priced out of the local market because of this type of thing. Sad that it totally erodes community because there is no-one with roots living in the area. Wayne, I don't blame you, we're all trying to make our way in this world, just the scale of your operation is really at odds with what home sharing is about. I second Eloise's point too about the rise of the type of guest that confuses Airbnb with a hotel... And part of the reason they get confused is because of hosts offering empty properties. How do you 'live like a local' when there are no locals to interact with? No-one to say: hey I love this restaurant two minutes away from here, try it with me!

At the end of the day though, it's all up to Airbnb. They could easily limit the amount of listings anyone had if they wanted.

Wayne, carry on, just understand why I am not cheering you on.

in long beach thete is a rental property  company from San Diego thay has 45 units in long beach.  they do not visit . there is a cleaning service etc. its all about the dollar. irritates me that a company not even paying into long beach economy is trapping benefits of tourists thay come to my city..all that money leaves out town . so sad 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Wow Wayne  Would like to learn from you if you ever in Brooklyn let's talk 

Hi Albert

Thank you for your message.

Would love to visit Brooklyn sometime, would definitely let you know.

Kind Regards
Wayne

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Not hating but would love to learn

I'd be interested in AirBnB opens in the UK