AirBnB Please Stop Political Grandstanding

Jim269
Level 3
Pittsfield Charter Township, MI

AirBnB Please Stop Political Grandstanding

Recent headline: "The CEO of popular home rental app AirBnB has promised to invest $100,000 in advertising for rentals available in Kenya, Ghana, and Haiti which have reportedly been referred to as “**bleep**hole countries” by President Trump."

Trump and others at the meeting with six politicians have denied that the s-hole word was even used.  Nonetheless, even if it was used in that private conversation, I'm sick and tired of corporations that take on political grandstanding.  I'm not a Trump advocate or apologist, but the current adversarial political atmosphere is not asssited when Hollywood and Corporations jump into the fray.  Hollywood has certainly been degraded in most people's mind, and in my mind so has AirBnB. What inside scoop or special wisdom does the AirBnB CEO have that makes him think he knows the truth of the current national governance confrontations.  And, more importantly, what makes him think that I, as a consumer, want to support his particular political bent.  

Message to the Board of Directors of AirBnB: Please temper the CEO's ego and have him stick to the business at hand.  

36 Replies 36

That's why California & San Francisco are a disgrace to the USA, you think the world revolves around you, well it doesn't.

Clean the dead beats and druggies off your streets any maybe Middle America will come back to California. No actually don't we need a place like yours to put all our crap

@Mark1421  your "comment" is the only disgrace here.

Mulitiple incorrect uses of 'their' and incorrect assumption that people do not protest their government or leaders throughout the world.  As a matter of fact people die for it daily in other parts of the world.  It's not mainstream media's focus, but, that doesn't make it less true.  I applaud the courage certain corporations use to make a statement especially when it supports human rights, human decency and human kindness.  In these times, those of us who have the courage to take a stand need to do so, regardless of offending your personal political choices.  I find it odd that you say people need to keep their opinions to themselves and yet you broadcast multiple paragraphs containing only your opinions.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tish2 wrote:

... other countries may not like thier President either, but they don't shout it out. ..

Hahahahahaha.  Not so often in countries that have a habit of murdering political opponents maybe, but we certainly do in Europe.  We don't have a president of course, but the next nearerst role is Prime Minister (Queenie is hard to hate as she's just ceremonial and not involved in politics).  Here's an article in one of todays national newspapers

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/gallery/lewes-bonfire-effigies-theresa-boris-13541426

Victor250
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Part of the Airbnb experience is to be able to open up to people you would never ever have conversation with. The world needs conversations and understanding. Not labling them and disrespect them of their live experience. Very easy to fall into the narrow mind set because everyone want to close themselves up for self preservation. Imagine Airbnb behind layers and layer of walls. You won't like it for this and next generation.

Maureen116
Level 4
British Columbia, Canada

I fail to see the issue here. Trump said it, and I beleive those who attended the meeting who heard it. So what.  He said it. If you don't like it, tell him to shut his mouth. If you support him, then obviously, you should be proud of his **bleep**hole comments. Yay for you. I'm pleased with Airbnb, and also pleased to support a company that stands against racism.

Sad here... do you support the haters? they're just as bad... they should have both a thumbs up AND a thumbs down 

Tori2
Level 3
Asheville, NC

I posted on the wrong thread

Mike-and-Angie0
Level 1
Oak Hill, OH

I am a democrat, I hold public office as a democrat. I however agree with the original poster. Airbnb is a business, & should be apolitical. I don't ask my guests for their political opinions before I rent to them. I don't discuss politics. They are AMERICANS & they are usually on VACATION when they stay with us. I'm not going to ruin their time off from their busy lives they are ESCAPING from with any of that. It won't help either of us, or change any opinions.

I prefer to allow them to just enjoy their stay. We get 5 stars almost every time, & have superhost status. We give them a pleasant stay. We serve them. 

People are getting too divided & hateful. It's not helpful to your side, either side of the poltical divide to make absolutely everything about politics. It just makes nobody listen to each other. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you need to get in their face. 

Or would you prefer to just advertise your place that you only serve people in your political party? Want to put up a sign that says that? Really?

To me, when Airbnb or any company gets political they just turn away business for me, & many others who use their services. I like Airbnb, but if this keeps going, I'm going to find another service that does not think they need to put up the "MY peeps only" sign...

FYI: 50% of the country does not agree with you, "R" or "D". Do you want 50% of the business you have now? 

So well said.. thank you 

Yes! 

Two thunbs up! 

@Mike-and-Angie0 wrote:

FYI: 50% of the country does not agree with you, "R" or "D". Do you want 50% of the business you have now? 

50% of Americans does not equate to 50% of Airbnb's business.  There's a whole world full of guests out there that  have no idea what this thread is all about, and wouldn't care if they did.

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Just for giggles;  SNL (Saturday Night Live)  had a skit along time ago, where Tina Fey played Sarah Palin, in one of the skits she said "I can see Russia from my House"  we heard that quote over and over from people, and many of our Canadian Friends actually thought that Sarah Palin actually said it.. thats how fake news can be started... don't believe everything you hear - you can google this.. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Best for Hosts to avoid Politics of any kind, even if you agree with them.

AirBnB should do likewise. They sent another missive around yesterday?, delete.

David