AirBnB Please Stop Political Grandstanding

Jim269
Level 3
Pittsfield Charter Township, MI

AirBnB Please Stop Political Grandstanding

Recent headline: "The CEO of popular home rental app AirBnB has promised to invest $100,000 in advertising for rentals available in Kenya, Ghana, and Haiti which have reportedly been referred to as “**bleep**hole countries” by President Trump."

Trump and others at the meeting with six politicians have denied that the s-hole word was even used.  Nonetheless, even if it was used in that private conversation, I'm sick and tired of corporations that take on political grandstanding.  I'm not a Trump advocate or apologist, but the current adversarial political atmosphere is not asssited when Hollywood and Corporations jump into the fray.  Hollywood has certainly been degraded in most people's mind, and in my mind so has AirBnB. What inside scoop or special wisdom does the AirBnB CEO have that makes him think he knows the truth of the current national governance confrontations.  And, more importantly, what makes him think that I, as a consumer, want to support his particular political bent.  

Message to the Board of Directors of AirBnB: Please temper the CEO's ego and have him stick to the business at hand.  

36 Replies 36
Daniel-Rusteen0
Level 10
California, United States

@Jim269 VERY well said! Regardless of your political affinity, Airbnb is going to alienate a large portion of their base by taking a strong stand one way or another. It's not their business, they don't know what's best.

Here's my message to Airbnb: Airbnb, you have quite a few problems with your own platform, how about focusing on those first?

This.  This is what I came to this thread for.

Brian Chesky, you want to drum up some goodwill?

Honor your cancellation policies.

Honor your host guarantee.

Honor your host preferences, you know, the hosts that serve you like dogs in many cases 365 days/year?

Zero honor in Airbnb's CS game currently, I don't know how they expect to survive constantly getting negative press from outsiders and probaly shortly getting just as much from insiders.

Catherine232
Level 10
Vancouver, Canada

Lot of ignorance in this thread.

Alex1095
Level 3
Tulum, Mexico

I agree, but still, you cant force them, this is a private company. 

Can24
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

i know this is wrong place to write a problem but i need your help guys.

2 days ago. i had a reservation. But i wasn't at home at that time. And i told the guest about the situation gently. He is from Turkey he understood me. He said ok and wrote the situation to airbnb to cancel. Then my plans changed and i told my host to come. He said ok but he didnt come. And the airbnb didnt answer to us for 1 day. Then they canceled it and they blocked the reviews both. I especially asked about the reviews to an airbnb worker whose names is Sven. He is from Berlin. 

After that i had a new reservation quickly. And i forgot the change the prices. After the reservation i sent my new guest a special offer. But she refused it. She can. But also i can send a special offer. we have a section for that. İ didnt want to disturb her or make her uncomfortable. She canceled the reservation with the help of a airbnb worker shose name is Joshua, without saying it to me. Also Joshua didnt inform me about the cancellation. He is from Berlin too. He informed me after cancellation and i think this is not fair. Because i have rights too. The rules say if you want to cancel the reseravtion at your check in day, there is no full refund.

Now the host wrote a comment about me. And i wanted Joshua to delete it buthe didnt reply me. And i wrote the problem to the other airbnb worker which solved my problem about the host which promised to come and then not. But Sven said to me "wait your case manager." I told him i dont want to wait anyone because this is not sunday. and i am a superhouse owner. Then i wrote the problem to an another case manager called Gavin. He said he couldnt because there was no violation. İ told him i wanted to talk with a specalist because 2 days ago similar things happened and Joshua blocked the reviews. but he doesnt want me to talk with a specalist. I told him that at the past they blocked reviews and i sent my proofs to him. i sent all the stuff which i talked at the past with the other airbnb workers. Also 3 months ago a smiliar problem occured. he didnt reply me. İ think the rules changed day by day. Sometimes if you are lucky they did what you want and sometimes if you are unlucky they said no. How could it happen? İ cant understand.

Can you help me about reaching an experienced specalist? The story didnt end.

Then i bought credits to call america from Skype. Because it was very expensive to call america from turkey. İ paid a lot of money to skype. A worker whose name is Baby told me that a specalist investigate this issue and will call me. After 2 minutes closing the telephone, she wrote to me that i could reply the guest's review 🙂

Now i am asking everybody. when i tried to write a comment about guest (because i need to see hers) airbnb asks me about accomodation. Airbnb asks me about her cleanliness, if she obey all the house rules... İ dont know the answers. Because she didnt stay at my home. Do they want me to write lies?
Also the same or similar questions (star system) appeared to her. how can she give stars to me without seeing me and my flat? is it fair? Also what about the promises at the telephone? The worker says a specalist will investigate this issue and call you, but then she wrote that i can reply to the guest :)) They always say the truth is the most important thing on airbnb. How can i write lies and give stars to somebody which i didnt see before? And how do the airbnb let this? And what about the promises? at the telephone they said we will turn back to you. 1 minute later, the same girl which i talked at the telephone changed her idea and tried to teach me about a reply. Finally, can you help me about reaching a specalist to delete her comments?

@Can24   You are correct; this is the wrong place to post your question.  If you are looking for help, you might want to post this as a new question instead of as a reply to someone else's question.  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I can understand there is a range of views on this topic, but I am seeing there are quite a few personal remarks to one another here.

With this in mind, and as this discussion was started quite some time ago now and I do feel it is best for the whole community here, to close this topic to new replies now.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.