Airbnb Open 2017 CUBA?!...Por Favor?!

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

Airbnb Open 2017 CUBA?!...Por Favor?!

It was amazing to hear from some of the fantastic hosts from Cuba last year at the Airbnb Open in Paris and it was so wonderful to know that this business model is doing so much to provide financial stability to the people of that country. As many know, Cuba was one of the American hotspots to go for Travel in the 50's but we have been kept from enjoying this part of the world for more than half of a century. Of course our fortunate European neighbors have been continuing to enjoy the island all this time. 

While I realize that there may be issues with their politics that we all cannot /do not agree with, I think it would be an amazing economic boost to the people of Cuba to host the Airbnb Open of 2017 there in Cuba, before it changes too radically and gets too Westernized. With the premise of an educational venue (which the Airbnb Open is) I don't think there will be much issue with members getting access to the country to attend.

Anyone agree? We are part of the best travel community in existence today...Doesn't it make sense that we take on what has been made available as a new frontier to Americans...finally? I am hoping to bring this idea to the Airbnb Open this coming November in L.A. but thought it best to see how much support the Airbnb community had for this proposition.

Any ideas on how to promote this idea further? ex: I would love to see a vintage style Airbnb travel poster for hosts for the Cuban Airbnb Open 2017. It could be a fun contest for hosts!cuba travel poster 1.htm

42 Replies 42
Vicki20
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Buen idea! November shouldn't be too hot in Cuba/Habana.  But, I think part of the issue would be if they have enough Airbnb accommodations and a large enough convention venue.  Plus, waiting until this November in LA to suggest Cuba for 2017 is - too late. This November (2016) they will be announcing the location for the 2017 convention, which means they've already done all the negotiations and have a contract in place.  But conceptually, good idea!

@Vicki20

Yes, I realized that the timing would be late if not suggested sooner when remembering that they had intended to announce this year's location on the 3rd day of the Airbnb Open in Paris but the attacks happenend on the evening of the 13th and we could not attend the final day. I suppose I will just wait to see what kind of responses I get here and will pass it off if folks seem very interested. I am not sure that they would really need to have it all inside of one venue actually. In Paris, it was mostly in one but there were perimeter venues to go to the workshops as well as the world's largest tent to get folks together to see the video presentations as well so lots of options I would think. 

Also, they really had to beef up the number of hosts in Paris last year and the city had adverts everywhere! When I went to look at availability in July, there was literally only 7% left but when I went to actually book places in October, there were many more. Some did stay at hotels as well.

Just to remind folks reading my post, I am referring to 2017, not this year 2016 in L.A. where some are directing me to. 

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

SF --> Paris --> LA.  A bit of a come down from expectation but should still be awesome. 🙂

Cuba would be lovely although personally I'd prefer somewhere else more adventurous... say Tokyo (a fan favourite amongst discussion at AO15), Bueons Aires, somewhere in Africa or elsewhere in Asia.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Thanks @Paul0

Yes, I will agree that Buenos Aires would be amazing as well as Tokoyo. My focus is currently on Cuba because of the rapid intensity at which it will change in the next decade and therefore, a once in a lifetime opportunity to go before many of those changes occur. Yeah, I am not super excited about L.A either but understand that they are probably trying to keep it closer to Airbnb Headquarters for logistics purposes. 

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@Andrée2 - we're thinking of visiting Cuba as part of our trip this year to get in early before it changes too quick.  🙂

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

David88
Level 4
Havana, Cuba

Hello everybody...@Vicki, @Andrée0, @Paul0

I am really excited with this idea Vicki...Airbnb has grown so much in Cuba than ever expected, more than 3000 rooms in 1 year...wow!..that is incredible.
I can confese you that as cuban, the company has influenced very positive in our homes: improve the service and quality of our places, bringing some extra money, and the most important, sharing experience with people from all over the world. In my opinion the best moment for the Open is in October, because in October is  already peak season and there many importants events such as: Feria Internacional de La Habana, Festival de Cine Latinoamericano. 

Havana is so different to the rest of the world, I still don't know how the people can joke every single day, with so many difficulties: transportation issues, blackouts, insufficiency in stores, perhaps that is the cause of those cuban creation...a car from the 50's that even Ford know they still exist, or the famous Cocotaxi...among many other inventions.

Without doubt if the community approve the next Open 2017 to make it in Havana, Cuba...I assure that people will love it, we take care of that. You just give us the opportunity.

Cheers guys!

David

WOW!  Count me in to Cuba.  I think this would be an excellent choice to help Cuba build its tourism.

I would like to make reservations early.

What are your recommendations for sightseeing?  

Barbara Nelson

Help please my friend wants to become a host in Cuba how she can do it ? 

Any information will be greatly appreciated! 

3.000 rooms in 1 year. Nice!

Always been there in hotels, will be back soon; obviusly, with an Airbnb host!

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Viloria Jr
Airbnb Montreal CoHost
alexanderviloriajunior@gmail.com
Marie-Grace0
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

We would attend!!

Diane69
Level 1
Murrieta, CA

It would be fantastic to have Airbnb Open 2017 in CUBA!  (I am hoping to travel there before then!) Yes, I agree, hearing from the Cuban Airbnb Hosts and their personal story was a highligt for me at the Paris Open last November!  A true ray of hope for our two countries to heal and restore diplomatic relationships, what better way than to encourage Airbnb home stays with the Cuban people!

Meanwhile, I am excited for the LA Open, as I will be in my hometown!!!! 

Sherrie7
Level 1
Tallahassee, FL

I think that Cuba would be a great spot for 2017..... I'm in.....

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrée2 I think it is a great idea. Cuba has an amazing infrastructure to host large scale events and those attending are well looked after. Coupled to that the fact that Havana is a marvellous city and you could extend your stay with trips whether to Varadero, the amazing beach resort or nearer by.

But it might well be that this year the Open will be somewhere in the other part of the world. But I would vote for Cuba. Also because it is one of my favourite countries, and it is years since I last went there.