Airbnb sanctioning cash deposits for companies with lots of properties

Jack391
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

Airbnb sanctioning cash deposits for companies with lots of properties

I've recently been advised by Airbnb support that a host is 'legally' allowed to demand a 300 euro cash deposit. I am not sure what they mean by legally, but they said it's because the place we've booked is a resort. It is just an apartment and when asked directly, the host described the place as an apartment. However, it is hosted by a company with 87 apartments so they obviously make a lot of money for Airbnb.

The hosts are also getting away with demanding cleaning costs in cash on arrival. This is something that Airbnb support have told me I can refuse to pay, but the hosts are still demanding it and threatening to refuse entry if I don't hand it over. Airbnb have said that they will help me find somewhere if we are denied entry, but I'm travelling with my 5 and 3 year old so don't really want to be in a position where I'm relying on that sort of help.

All of these charges were hidden beneath the fold in the house rules, but I didn't expand it when I was looking at the place because I don't really do much that might break rules these days and didn't think Airbnb hosts were allowed to do this sort of thing. Trust is the mission statement and not paying outside the app is one of the pillars of the trust.

So - do you think that Airbnb don't care about protecting their guests? They have offered pretty much nothing in the way of support (take photos when you arrive... you don't need to take photos...) and don't seem to care that I'm trying to arrange accommodation for young children.

I have had so many great experiences with Airbnb that I am really disappointed by this. I'm arriving in Rome in 2 days and this still isn't anywhere near resolved and I've been I touch twice today and heard nothing. 

Is this OK?

29 Replies 29
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

so, in other words @Jack391  big companies can request security deposits in cash but small hosts with just a few listings can't????

Great! Just great! If this is not discrimination then I don't know what is.

It certainly seems like that. Airbnb support said it's because the listing is a resort so perhaps @Branka-and-Silvia0, small hosts just need to declare that their places are resorts. 

What do you think? It's the small hosts that make Airbnb special. I was recently checked in by a company - they were very nice, but had no local knowledge and didn't really seem like Airbnb.

Yes, I think the small host make Airbnb special.

Thanks, best of luck.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Jack391 airbnb is trying so many tricks, hosts have no idea whats going on.

It appears Resort listings =

SuperStrict 60 policy

Paid when the booking is made

Charge a cash deposit on arrival

Paid the cleaning fee in cash on arrival

Has anyone seen the button that say's  "Click if you're a resort"

60 policy is enough for me. Nice to see the thread.

Denis227
Level 10
La Boissière-École, FR

@Jeff158 

The button , as you say, exist, but it is not visible on the page. You have to make it come to life. 

a) You affiliate your property to a property management company of the same vein as Interhome and the likes, under the most favorable conditions offered to hosts (ie  you continue to manage your own  bookings and  check-in )  . I agree that it would be kind of stupid to hand out  some  commissions to Interhome while at the same time doing their work.   But it would be no different from being affiliated to a BUYERS Group   where you do your own purchase although at the conditions negociated by the Buyers Group. (  super strict 60 policy, cash deposit, cleaning fee in cash...) 

b) Even better, you create your own property management company  with a bunch of other wise guys just for the sake of obtaining those favorable commercial conditions from AirBnb, all the while letting each one in the (umbrella ) management company, manage its own rental separately.  Perfectly feasible for a couple of thousand euros in lawyer fees  ( to be shared amongst founding members , and later reimbursed  by future members ) . 

I have done much worse than that .... 

If I deposit some $ then have any risk for me, I think not but want to sure. 

It is right to do your duty legally and respectively.

Thanks

@Jack kindly give me some fair hosting idea.

Hi Jack,

Are you interested in depositing some cash in a real estate brokerage company? It is also in Airbnb need some help of money.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Jack391 

That's very interesting information in Your thread.

Could You post a link to the listing in question?

Thank You.

Jack391
Level 1

Hi Ute

All of the listings from Interhome seem to have the same policy. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/show/161551714

I stayed at https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/22556143? 

The building was nice and the apartment was fun, if a little oldfashioned and musty. The person that checked me in spoke no English - only asked for 200 rather than 300 euros and took the tax and a cleaning fee (45 euros) from the deposit. 

We had a good time in Rome, but the hassle of the deposit and the feeling that we were being cheated really soured things. The back and forth with Airbnb staff was amazing too.

Thanks

Jack

Hi Jack,

I don't think anything wrong about Airbnb. I believe it is the best policy of Airbnb that they take care of their guests. It is hopeful that they also give extra care of the child.

Jack391
Level 1

In the end, when I arrived, the person that let me in asked for 200 euros (not 300) and then on departure, held back 35 for tourist tax (permitted) and 45 for cleaning (not permitted and not even the amount in the house rules).