Airbnb sanctioning cash deposits for companies with lots of properties

Jack391
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

Airbnb sanctioning cash deposits for companies with lots of properties

I've recently been advised by Airbnb support that a host is 'legally' allowed to demand a 300 euro cash deposit. I am not sure what they mean by legally, but they said it's because the place we've booked is a resort. It is just an apartment and when asked directly, the host described the place as an apartment. However, it is hosted by a company with 87 apartments so they obviously make a lot of money for Airbnb.

The hosts are also getting away with demanding cleaning costs in cash on arrival. This is something that Airbnb support have told me I can refuse to pay, but the hosts are still demanding it and threatening to refuse entry if I don't hand it over. Airbnb have said that they will help me find somewhere if we are denied entry, but I'm travelling with my 5 and 3 year old so don't really want to be in a position where I'm relying on that sort of help.

All of these charges were hidden beneath the fold in the house rules, but I didn't expand it when I was looking at the place because I don't really do much that might break rules these days and didn't think Airbnb hosts were allowed to do this sort of thing. Trust is the mission statement and not paying outside the app is one of the pillars of the trust.

So - do you think that Airbnb don't care about protecting their guests? They have offered pretty much nothing in the way of support (take photos when you arrive... you don't need to take photos...) and don't seem to care that I'm trying to arrange accommodation for young children.

I have had so many great experiences with Airbnb that I am really disappointed by this. I'm arriving in Rome in 2 days and this still isn't anywhere near resolved and I've been I touch twice today and heard nothing. 

Is this OK?

29 Replies 29

Hi Jack,

I also want to what kind of apartments and villas people like most? I have some apartments and villas in different places whole over the world. Always there was a crowd with tourist, but now the masses of tourist becomes so less than before. I don't know why? Kindly tell me what the cause of happening this is.

Thanks

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Susan17 

Ups, Your post disapeared but I found it. Do You want me to repost it?

Hi @Ute42 

Thanks, but I just finally managed to post it now - after umpteen attempts! 🙃

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Jack391 @Ute42 @Jeff158 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Once again, this is a crystal clear example of Airbnb's restrictive, punitive T&Cs being selectively applied to its small traditional host base. For the large professional and commercial operators, the get-out clause "... unless authorized by Airbnb" , magically exempts them from many of the restrictive rules and regulations that hamper, impede and penalise the rest of us. 

Interhome (@Jack391's "host") is just one of thousands of gigantic global operators on the Airbnb platform, now with over 40000 properties in 32 countries (listings spread across multiple accounts and profiles, of course) Interhome is a subsidiary of the Hotelplan Group, which also owns - and lists on Airbnb - InterChalet (26000 properties, average sales, €130 million annually), Bedfinder, Inghams, Esprit, Inntravel, Santa's Lapland etc etc. Hotelplan is a wholly owned subsidiary of Swiss-based global retail giant Migros.

Simon Lehmann, former Interhome CEO, Deputy CEO of the Hotelplan Group, and darling of the VRM and OTA worlds, latterly became Co-founder and Chairman of Vacasa AG Europe, the European arm of Vacasa, another prolific Airbnb "host", with 10600 listings across 16 countries, and an estimated 2018 revenue of $250 million. Mr Lehmann also sits on the advisory boards of Properly Inc ("a  Housekeeping and Inspection Tech platform for Airbnb hosts", and Rented. Com, a company that is arbitraging the vacation rental market by guaranteeing owners a set rental amount per month, installing property management companies to do the graft, then reaping the profits, minus the management fees. 

Mr Lehmann doesn't appear to have a very flattering view of traditional hosts, bemoaning the lack of "professionalization", with comments such as "Not everybody wants to be greeted by the host and have their ears chewed off about the latest fishing trip they went on!".   Which is true, of course, but what all these big players - and Airbnb - seem to be forgetting, is that not everybody wants to have to deal with a faceless, soulless, often clueless property management company either. 

Anyway, the bottom line is - yes, Airbnb absolutely is allowing the commercial entities to charge cash deposits (and other fees) onsite, advantaging them with preferential policies, and permitting them to operate largely under whatever T&Cs the commercials themselves stipulate, as opposed to the abusive T&Cs that small, traditional hosts are forced to abide by. This has been the case for several years now, since at least 2016. And still, Airbnb refuses to separate home hosts from the "Pro's", and small hosts have been callously flung into the lion's den, to fight for their lives against ruthless, greedy VRM monsters like Hotelplan, Vacasa, Sonder, Stay Alfred etc. Only one way that's gonna end... 

Blatant discrimination, through and through. It's a fact that Airbnb are getting clean away with violating numerous consumer, anti-competition and abuse of dominant position laws worldwide. And why wouldn't they, when everyone just swallows it? 

#AirbnbHome  #AirbnbPro 

Denis227
Level 10
La Boissière-École, FR

@Susan17 

You said 

And why wouldn't they, when everyone just swallows it? 

Why is everyone swallowing it ?

Can I suggest one sociological answer ?

Because home owners are individualist members of a somewhat privileged group of well-to-do who often made a career out of  Big Corps, have scant interest in the furthering of  Consumer Law ( if they ever heard this expression at all), who are familiar with the words "abuse" and "abusive"  in the context of  "child abuse" and certainly not as a descriptor of capitalism ( since they only read and watch mainstream media) ,  who never felt  the need to stand  up for their rights (since capitalism is all about protecting their rights in the first place),  and therefore have not a single  clue  about how to start organizing  themselves to fight AirBnb multiple abuses (viz hosts)  in Court.      

Or is this only  true  of french homeowners ?

@Denis227 

I would certainly agree with you on that point but what people need to understand, is that even if the abuses of power and dominant position haven't come to their own doorstep yet - it's only a matter of time until they bear the brunt too. They'll happily bury their heads in the sand, or turn a blind eye, even when they're fully aware of the injustices being visited upon others... but sooner rather than later, it will be their turn to suffer the consequences also. 

Denis227
Level 10
La Boissière-École, FR

@Susan17 

You can be sure that all those hosts who have quit hosting, and therefore nowhere to be found here, have already borne the brunt. 

Verification of what I just wrote : the biggest consurmer association in France  ( the french equivalent of Which ? )  has a forum where members and non members alike  can post. On the Vacation Rental chapter of their forum,  there are multiple threads concerning AirBnb . I have read them all ( there aren't that many). None of these thréads originate from hosts ! 

It all happens as if hosts did not consider themselves as "consumers" in relation to AirBnb !!!   Either this or  they simply ignore  that they can  find legal help with Consumer Associations in their  dealings with AirBnb.

With such a mindset,  no wonder hosts are being so easily shortchanged by AirBnb. 

The  consequence of this unilateral interest in Consumer Associations is that those  ranting Guests on the Association Forum  complain  that AirBnb is really a horrendous Hostcentric platform, since  they only read one sided stories ! 

Airbnb is one of the best company that invests a lot of money in various fields. But my question is to the Airbnb that they invest in a private company or not? I need a lot of money to repair my apartments and villas. I am looking for some invests.

Does Airbnb help me with my project of making 45 apartments with all kind of facility? I grateful to Airbnb if sanctioning some cash for my project.

@Angal0 

Where are your apartments situated? 

I requested to Airbnb for sanctioning some deposit for my 45 apartments project so that I complete my project as soon as possible.

Jack, you mean that the house owner steals money from the tourist. Any strong measured can take about this?

Looking for an apartment or a villa in rent in Dubai, but could not decide where to go and think this is one of the best for asking about it. Here are lots of real estate investors, landlords, and agents or broker are available in Airbnb. I give a search on google for some beautiful apartments and villas, and there is a ton of online rentals portal open on google. I visit many of them like https://www.dubairent.com but don't choose any yet.

I am looking forward to the Airbnb for the best alternatives. Any help, please.

Oh, stop moaning!!!  business is business.  If you did not have an guests but thought that the large groups have a better rental possiblity in renting then you  mayhave a case.   If you need funds for investing, start a collection.   I have1 apartment and have always been suported nicely and the bookings are there.  

On the other hand, there are other sights that you can avertise.

I have always been told that looking for problems is not a solution, but looking for solutions is settling problems.  If you have something that you think might help the small owners, let it be known.