Canceling From The Eyes Of A Guest

Answered!
Aubrey13
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Canceling From The Eyes Of A Guest

@Airbnb 

This post, by no means reflects the assistance that I received from my case managers Alicia & Malia. I greatly appreciate all of the assistance that was provided as I looked to rebook my vacation.

Over the years, I have had great experiences using Airbnb services. From vacations to one-night layovers, Airbnb has continued to deliver while increasing its standards. Until recently, guests were penalized heavily (under a strict policy) for cancel a reservation at the last minute. I believe this to be a great rule that promotes Airbnb hosts because it provides compensation for the time the host was booked, and now having limited time for a new booking, the host at least comes out with something gained.

Unfortunately, as an Airbnb traveler and Superhost, there are a few things that I wish were better. As many of you may know, arranging a vacation with 6 guests comes with lots of variables and moving parts. To simplify this chaotic process, I hopped on Airbnb and booked the place to stay 2 and half months out. Yay! Reservation down, time for flights.

Sadly, that was not the case. Recently, I was on the receiving end of the cancellation as a traveler/guest. So, in other words, the host cancel my reservation within 5 days of traveling. So back to those variables that I mentioned: Flights are done, travel to/from airport has been arranged, and event planning has completed as well. But, how does any of this works without a place to stay?

Thank you Airbnb Support. The support team quickly reached out about the cancellation and was on top of assisting us with the rebooking with a 10% credit. Surely that would be enough. Well, on second thought, the vacation is four days out, it’s beach season, Memorial Day Weekend, and the Tampa Bay Lightning are in the semi-finals of the playoffs. So, now I go from finding a nice play with a mid-range price point to a standard place that cost 500 more dollars. So the 10% credit is, now, $400 short of a new booking.

I thought this would be a quick and simple process, where Airbnb would notice the timelessness of this case and understand that the increase in the market value wasn’t proportional to that of the market value 3 months prior (when I originally booked). However, all I received from Airbnb was that this was very unfortunate for me and that the host would be penalized. As a Superhost, I am completely aware of this. So I ask again for them to extend more of a credit line to cover the additional cost. Given the fact that the new property would have been much cheaper in pricing three months ago, I find this only fair. But, yet again, they inform me that they can only add an additional $100 dollars, leaving $300 dollars to be paid on top of my original reservation amount.

The fact that I am a Superhost gives me a lot of insight from a different perspective than most guests. So I know how much work goes into making sure that each and every guest has a great experience. But this is the one time where I felt like Airbnb lowered their standards. Not only did they not rectify the situation, they basically stated that I have to pay more money for being the recipient of a cancellation. Now, let’s compare this to a Hilton, a Sheraton, a Marriott, a Le Meridian; many of the hotels that I enjoy reserving. The thing that separate these hotels is that the customer’s experience greatly outweighs $$$; if a customer has an awesome experience, not only do they become a lifelong customer, but they also inform others of the great experience, leading to new customers.

I’m sorry to say, but Airbnb really dropped the ball here. They risked loyal customers for $400 dollars, which does not come close to the amount of money that we spend through Airbnb. I am very thankful for those who tried their best to assist me, but I do hope that a new policy is created soon.

1 Best Answer
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Part of the problem might be the utter disaster that it Airbnb auto pricing - Memorial Day weekend default priced at $80 / night. The Airbnb savvy guest books 3 months out when the booking window opens and the host is out $$. How hard is it to build a pricing engine that can atleast take into account major holidays !

On the hotel side, I have arrived at a major chain after 6hr flight to be told they don't have a room I booked, here is refund, or we found you somewhere else. So not much better.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I am not sure any of thoe Hotels use AirBnB but they are Hotels, AirBnB is a booking system.

New policy to do what?

David

@Aubrey13

I sympathize with the situation you were put in but to be honest, don't agree with your view that "guests were penalized heavily (under a strict policy) for cancel a reservation at the last minute" - if it was the guest that cancelled and there are always financial consequences to such decisions and this is the same for any type of reservation for hotels, flights, movies, sports events. If you don't like the strict policy and think it is unfair to the guest, then guests are free to choose a listing with a moderate or flexible policy to their liking. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I am in complete agreement with you. I was comparing the old strict policy to the most recent, which gives 50% back to the guest. I was trying to relate how guests are correctly punished for a cancellation, but as a guest having a host cancel last minute, the penalty doesn't seem to assist you much. 

Sorry if my message was misconstrued. And as always, thanks for the feedback.

Aubrey13
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

@David126 They change the strict policy to give 50% back upon cancellation when it took 100% in the past.

Aubrey13
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

@David126 misspoke 48 hour rule is the new addition to the strict policy

@Aubrey13

Maybe the clue about your host cancelling was that what you paid for the booking , the 'market value wasn’t proportional' 

Perhaps the host thought that the airbnb penalty was worth taking and to accept a booking elsewhere at  market value, disregarding the morals of taking the booking in the first instance.

The reality can be if you book a red hot date at a bargain basement price, the chances rocket that it will go sour. Who knows why it was cancelled abruptly of course.

Either the host penalty should be proportionate, after all the value of 100 dollars differs in New Dehli than in New York to most of their residents- should the cancelling host compensate your stay expenses in full elsewhere? or Airbnb acts as a proxy travel insurer for guests, not withstanding vulnerability to fraud and collusion, to compensate cancellations. 

What policy would you hope they adopted soon and who pays for it?

@Elena87

I completely get your point regarding the "market value" not being prportional when I intitally booked it months out. Although this was not the case for me [by no means was it the most expensive but it was in the more expensive bracket at the time], I think that the market value is subject to change at anything in any location. For example, who knew that Tampa's NHL team would be leading 3-2 in the semifinals of the playoffs? But that fact, dramatically affected the new "market value" for my rebooking, which was completely ignored from an @Airbnb standpoint.

And this is not to say that fault lies with Airbnb, but that there should be a policy that does actually what you stated in your second paragraph: host penalty should be proportinate with the "current market value". Although I do not believe that host should cancel reservations under normal circustances, I think that a clear penalty that adjusts the amount paid back to the guest would be based on the current market trend in the area.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Aubrey13

Would it be possible to claim on your travel insurance ?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Aubrey13 you are absolutely right. If a hotel makes a mistake and is unable to honor your reservation it will turn itself inside out to lodge you at another equivalent or superior hotel at its own expense. @Airbnb must learn to do the same if it intends to be regarded as a reliable booking platform (and yes, hosts who cancel should share the burden of the resulting cost).

Lisa, thanks a lot for your response. I always love to hear the thoughts of other Superhosts.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Aubrey13 When I booked a home last year for a fabulous vacation in Hawaii, I was so afraid that something would come up and we would need to find another place. We didn't and the listing was such an important element in our enjoyment of the trip, I am so glad.  However,  @Aubrey13,  a few months ago I had to cancel a booking the day of the reservation!!  I felt terrible but I was sick and later found out I had the flu.  I am glad I cancelled as I am glad I did not cause these guests to become sick.  However, my cancellation was very difficult for the guest.  Air BNB was as helpful as they could be, but the booking was made for a very popular time in my area and probably resulted in additional cost to the guest.  This is the inherent flaw of the shared economy.  I do not apologize for my actions, but I think there is a need to be more transparent to guests that they should get travel insurance given the possibility.

@Linda108 

I definitely understand the position you were in as a host. Your sickness may have affected there stay from, both, a hosting and wellness standpoint, so the cancellation may have the best decision. Under circumstances similar to yours are moments where I believe hosts are choosing the best action for both parties involved. However, I still believe that there should be either more communication leading up to this; a policy that assists the guest for any additional charges for similar bookings.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

@Aubrey13 - I completely understand and agree with you.  You entered a contract with your host.  The host broke the contract, you should be made whole - by the host.  It matters not the reason that they broke the contract, simply that they did.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Aubrey13

Aubrey, as a host as well as a guest you know full well there are variables in this sort of business!

Let me put a scenario to you....you booked a listing three months ago on the big Island of Hawaii and the listing you booked is now threatened by the eruption of the Kilauea volcano. The host possibly does not have a listing left, do you consider that you should be compensated through the booking channel you have used?

This Aubrey is why we have travel insurance, to cover ourselves against the eventuality that something may prevent us from following through with our travel plans.

My wife and I had a situation a few years ago! We were booked to do a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. We travelled from Australia and arrived in Budapest 5 days before the cruise departed and on the eve of departure we had a call from the travel representative to tell us that the cruise had been cancelled! The reason being that the river levels were too high and the cruise boat could not get under the myriad of bridges along the way. We received no assistance whatsoever from APT the travel company who organised the cruise and had to claim a refund on our insurance which also turned out to be somewhat difficult.

Aubrey, I do not in any way try to justify hosts who cancel confirmed guests reservations but unexpected events do happen, and to travel without arranging proper travel insurance, is flirting with disaster! 

Cheers.....Rob