Cleaning Fees - Out of Control?

Chris11487
Level 1
Eagan, MN

Cleaning Fees - Out of Control?

I've been an AirBnb traveler for about 5 years, and am recently seeing the disturbing trend of hosts in certain markets that advertise unusually low rental rates, only to make up obvious rental income in the cleaning fees.  For example, advertised rental rates on a 1Bed place in PHX for $65, cleaning fee $115.  This is clearly a tactic used by Hosts to manipulate the search function of AirBnb.  I've contacted AirBnb and suggested these changes:

Add a Search function to include total cost, not just rental rate. 

Cap the cleaning fee to not exceed rental rate.

If you are one of the Hosts engaging in this practice, I highly recommend you engage in a more transparent and modern way of getting your income, not hiding it in your fees.  You currently look like car dealerships circa 1975.  And guests - SPEAK UP - don't settle for these practices if you don't agree with them!   

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Chris11487 It is indeed regrettable that Airbnb displays the lowest available nightly rate, excluding all fees (including their own), in search results-- until you enter your travel dates and guest count, whereupon it displays the total cost. And of course, you always see the total cost before you book.

As a host who charges a cleaning fee this is frustrating to me, as well. I have no interest in wasting the time of guests looking for lower-cost options.

My cleaning fee is a fixed cost. It goes directly to my cleaners for their labor and supplies. My nightly rates are set automatically by pricing software, according to local supply and demand.  Sometimes that means they drop below the cleaning fee.  You suggest "Cap the cleaning fee to not exceed rental rate." Well, what that really means for me is: set the nightly rate minimum to never drop below the cleaning fee. Would that actually be better for anyone?

It would be great if Airbnb's search results were more transparent, saying "FROM $$" and "Please enter dates and guest count for accurate pricing."

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Chris11487@Lisa723 

In EU Airbnb display the average daily cost of accomodation+cleaning fee+service fee for chosen dates. This is by EU rules. I don't know how it's in USA or other countries it may be different.

sc1.jpgsc2.jpg

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Branka-and-Silvia0 the same happens here, once you enter dates. Without dates the lowest available nightly rate is shown.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lisa723 

If we don't enter dates then price isn't shown. Look

sc3.jpg