Paying host.

Felicia58
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Paying host.

It cost money to host,  so for Airbnb to collect funds long before the guest's arrival and the host don't received paying till days after the guests leave is so wrong. In the mean time airbnb collected their fees and all the extras from both the hosts and the guest , but still holding on to the guest funds in the mean time making money with the host's money this is not fair.

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Since you have not provided the service until the guest checks in, why should you get paid, @Felicia58?  Of course as with any business you have expenses just like the store that you might browse without purchasing.

Felicia58
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hello Linda , kindly re read the post l said after the guest left, therefore l provided the service and the guest left long before l got paid . So is this the norm?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You get paid ONE day after the guest arrives 'normally'; meaning one you are a host for 30 days. When you start they hold the funds for 30 days, not each, all, to make sure all is cool.

Felicia58
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi all these grounds you mentioned were covered. Airbnb held on to the funds for more then 10 days, even though the funds were cleared from the guest account from day one. They gave no reason after so many calls. I found online that they have been doing that a lot making host block their calendars instead of having guest stay and not get paid,  sometimes for over 6 weeks.

@Felicia58. One of the reasons the payout to hosts does not happen until the guest checks in is due to Airbnb's Guest Refund Policy.  Under this policy, if a guest arrives to a listing and it is not clean or is not as described in the listing details (for example a hot tub or Wifi is promised  and neither exist), then Airbnb will give the guest a full refund. 

This gives guests the confidence to book with us "Mom and Pop" individuals rather than a hotel. 

Guests have 24 hours to make a complaint to Airbnb after they check in.  No sense paying the host prior to the reservation date and then take it back if the listing is not as described.  And who knows?  Maybe the host has already spent the money and is now nowhere to be found.  

Concerning Airbnb holding onto the payment even if the reservation is far in the future.  When one books a hotel or a seat on flight, it is common practice for the traveller to pay for the reservation in advance.  One might believe that Airbnb is making money on the use of these funds in the meantime. At today's interest rates, I seriously doubt that this is a money making scheme especially considering all the expenses incurred when a host cancels a reservation (guests can get an additonal credit for host cancellations) as well as all the Travel Credits Airbnb gives out for referrals.  Not to mention any advertising and system support that hopefully drives guests to our listings. 

I totally understand your point of view, but if you look at the situation from Airbnb's point of view, you might see the logic of why they do what they do.  

These links might be helpful:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnb-s-guest-refund-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/950/i-received-an-additional-credit-after-my-host-canceled--how-...

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

They do it cuz they can.

They aren't any alternatives out there to do what you propose.

Good luck

Thanks to all, Yes Paul, Airbnb can do whatever they want I just wanted to find out if my experience was normal. Clare please read my orginal question. All the other didn't read my questions but thanks anyway. Problem solved.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Felicia58   I have almost always had the funds "released" within 24 hours of the guest checking in. But it can take up to a week for the $ to show up in my bank account. Once the payment wasn't released for several days after check-in.

Barry105
Level 3
Medellín, Colombia

If your airbnb listings are run by channel software.  You actually get paid in the time limit that it becomes un-refunable.  Example my super strict -60  means anyone that books with in 60 days we get paid on.  One of there little secrets.  Another reason to use a channel software.  We use Beds24.  And they charge by how many listings and calendar connections you have.  SO worth it.