Refusing Israeli listings contradicts EVERYthing Airbnb boasts about diversity and inclusion

Gabriella256
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

Refusing Israeli listings contradicts EVERYthing Airbnb boasts about diversity and inclusion

I can't begin to imagine how this horrific policy was put in place. All it tells me is that all of those in upper management have not taken the time to learn anything beyond the propaganda they indulge in listening to. Proper and balanced research in order to form AN EDUCATED understanding of the facts on the ground before making such an outrageous policy would have been not just nice, but fair. What is your problem, people? Too hurried, too lazy, too already biased, too busy writing marketing copy about how diverse and inclusive you are to spend time researching something before making a terrible decision that the whole world sees? What is wrong with you on the board of directors and you in upper manangement that you would do such a thing without availing yourselves of the FACTS? 

27 Replies 27
Gabriella256
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

Airbnb! I am waiting for a reasonable and non-ignorant response from those of you who made and implemented the decision to target Israelis. 

Gabriella256
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

How do you address the mismatch of your corporate statements, e.g., "Shared understanding is essential to building more welcoming and inclusive Airbnb experiences. Our expanded Help Center has answers to many real-world questions about our nondiscrimination policy."

And, "One of the ways we’re fighting discrimination is through unconscious bias training. To help our members understand discrimination and the biases that cause it, we’ve created this toolkit exploring bias and other factors that influence people’s decisions, even without their knowledge.

This is exactly the opposite of what you just implemented against Israelis!!!! Read and live by your own message!!!

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Gabriella256,

This site isn't read by Airbnb. It's just a discussion forum for hosts and guests so no one from Airbnb will respond here with explanations for any of their corporate decisions.

You'll have to message Airbnb itself, or individuals there, for there to be any hope of getting the response you're waiting for.

Steve.

They read it!

Gabriella256
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

@Steve0 Hi. They are getting the message here as well as all of the other places I am posting. Not to worry, I understand how to interract with Airbnb. Thanks. 

Gabriella256
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

“This is not about disputed territories, as Airbnb has listings in Moroccan-occupied Western Sahara, Turkish-occupied Cyprus, and more,” he said in a statement. “So it is only Jewish properties in the Jewish homeland that are banned. Airbnb’s approach of singling out Jews from all the disputes in the world will put it at odds with U.S. state B.D.S. laws and principles of discrimination.”

@Gabriella256, this is what happens when an emotional-based narrative overtakes rational thought. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more prevalent, whereby everything is simplistically divided into a dichotomy of haves and have-nots, exploiters and exploited. Of course, grown-ups understand that the world is not so easily simplified. 

Keep the message going and good luck! 

Kathleen321
Level 2
Ballykelly, United Kingdom

Keep on posting Gabriel I’m from Ireland and I think this is disgusting what Airbnb has just done. My husband is writing to management as we speak.   Blessings on you my friend.  X Kathleen 

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

@Gabriella0,

You don't seem to have a grasp as to what's going on in the other disputed territories you have listed.

- Western Sahara is an autonomous region within Morocco.  While Morocco oversees the territory, they don't govern it.

- Turkey doesn't occupy Northern Cyprus.  Turkey views Northern Cyprus as an independent country, and has a military base there.  It's like us having a military base in Japan.  We don't own Japan.  We're just there for support.
- The Disputed Territories are under the control and government of Palestine.  The Israeli settlements are viewed as being there illegally.  AirBnB took the stance that all properties in those settlements should be removed from listing.  And there are Israelis that aren't Jewish, believe it or not.

A comparison that actually works in this situation is removing listings in Crimea due to the invasion of Russia, which they have done, but it wasn't as widly publisized.

They don't do these things without thinking them through.  They haven't gotten this big by being reckless.  But this is definitely not Anti-Semitic.

Turkey has a military base in Northern Cyprus because it invaded Cyprus much akin to Russia invading Crimea. Greek Cypriots fled or were slaughtered. The Turkish Cypriots are now a minority as over the years the Turkish government paid Turkish citizens to settle in the North of Cyprus thereby making the indigenous Turkish Cypriots a minority. The indigenous Turkish Cypriots however remain vocal as they want Cypriot nationality as first and foremost see themselves as Cypriot with Turkish ancestry not Turkish.

To compare the Cyprus situation as being similar to the US having a base in Japan is pure ignorance.

Steven532
Level 6
Longford, Australia

Hmm, well that's a fact free rant. Perhaps you could make  case instead of doing a 'Trump'

Darrell30
Level 2
Durango, CO

As an Airbnb host, I am appalled at Airbnb's discriminatory act to remove listings from Judea and Samaria, listed by Jews. This is equivalent to the tactics of Kristallnacht and your decision occurred right on the heels of the anniversary of the real Kristallnacht. So my question for Airbnb: Are you going to remove listings in Crimea and Ukraine when the host's name sounds Russian? Are you going to remove listings in the native reservation lands of southwest U.S. if the names sound caucasion? Or those in first nations territory in Canada?  Are you going to remove listings in Polynesian islands when the host's name sounds caucasion? Are you going to remove Airbnb listngs in any other part of the disputed world? I used to tell my guests that Airbnb had the potential to bring people closer together. Not anymore. I'll stop using that phrase because in Airbnb's own idiotic behavior, they are driving wedges and agenda's. I'll be looking for another platform and I hope the many more do. Airbnb has swallowed the lies and agenda of the BDS movement and has now chosen one people over another instead of being a force of unity. Airbnb, your diversity policy is a lie. Shame on you. I would never think of getting knee deep into the personal politics and lives of my guests but Airbnb is horribly intrusive and assuming on a corporate level. May karma visit you. 

Kristallnacht: a Nazi pogrom throughout Germany and Austria on the night of November 9–10, 1938, during which Jews were killed and their property destroyed.

A private company making a decision on who they will or will not market.

Equivalent???  God, I hope you have educated yourself some in the past 15 months.