Terrible experience at a so called Tranquil home in Nananimo BC

Susan-Nonna0
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

Terrible experience at a so called Tranquil home in Nananimo BC

We stayed for 9 days at https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/16630975?guests=1&adults=1 from April 17-26, 2019.

We were initially charged an extra $670 which Airbnb said violated its policies. 

Then the host demanded more money  $320  b/c two family members moved out and two family members replaced them.

This is against Airbnb policy re: guests. However, we did not know that.

We paid the 320 dollars, asked for a receipt and the host refused and threatened my husband.

My husband was the only remaining person in the house, but he moved out because he felt so uncomfortable and threatened by the host's behaviour.

This host lied to us, invaded our privacy, and is lying to Airbnb. But it seems once you're a so-called super host you can do no wrong.

This host was not a super host but a bad host. However, there seems to be no consequences for this host's bad, and unethical behaviour. 

Frustrated and disappointed that Airbnb cannot resolve this matter.

34 Replies 34
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Susan-Nonna0 why did you pay the extra 670$?

We didn’t. We called Airbnb and they said it was against its policies. But the host did demand an extra 320 dollars which we paid because we were under a lot of stress. Burying my mum-in-law. But the host refuses to provide a receipt. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Susan-Nonna0 did you pay through Airbnb? What kind of receipt do you expect from a homeowner? Airbnb can give you an invoice of the payment since they handle that if it changes anything for you. Or you payed in cash? And by the way you said that you payed 670$ and later an extra 320$.

Susan-Nonna0
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

we paid in cash and need a receipt from the host for estate purposes, but she refused to offer one.

It's such a simple solution, and instead, with have to fight to get one. 

Yes I know now this should have gone thru Airbnb, but we didn't when the cash was demanded of us. And the host - a super host should have known that asking for cash was not right, and against Airbnb policies.

Just feeling cheated, angry and confused the matter can't be resolved. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Susan-Nonna0 well you can't prove she took the money that is why Airbnb can't do anything about it. Hosts shouldn't charge extra fees unless previously disclosed on their listing. Before booking with any platform people should always read the rules very carefully especially since everything is so available to us. But you also can't change guests however you please, that is someones home and it is not right, only the guests that checked in initially can stay there. 

the host was fine with us changing guests until she was not. We informed her 3 times of this and asked if she was o.k. with it. All seemed good,  until as I said it wasn't. 

I now know this is against Airbnb policies, but the host should have mentioned something to us, obviously, she knew. But I think this was her way of getting extra cash. 

NO, I can't prove she took the money, but why can't I be believed!!!  She TOOK THE MONEY, there were 3 witnesses to this. It's just so frustrating that there are no consequences for such an unethical host. And I can't be believed my husband isn't believed my sister-in-law and cousin aren't believed, apparently just an unethical host is believed.  Again tired, and frustrated and feel scammed. 

@Susan-Nonna0 

So sorry to hear about your terrible experience but...... it is the GUEST'S RESPONSIBILTY TO READ the Airbnb policies and the listing description and house rules before making a confirmed booking. 

Instead of taking the time to be informed, you just assumed. You're saying you know "now" but you should known

before you even made the booking. 

Your host was completely wrong to ask for cash like that. It's not that no one believes you gave money but rather there is no way of proving it. No one is going to "just take your word for it". And witnesses who are your friends/family don't count. 

From where I stand it looks like the host had to put up with a bunch of unauthorized guests who weren't properly registered and since there is a risk of guests saying  they will pay then later when faced with the payment request guest's can always refuse, she decided to play it safe and get cash instead of risk getting nothing.

What should have happened was both the host and guest log onto the app while in the same room, host sends request for payment and guest accepts. Then and there. Then a short summary of what the payment is for on the airbnb messenger. 

Normally, guests pay Airbnb, then Airbnb pays hosts. Therefore Airbnb is the one that issues any and all receipts. This is the very most basic rule of being an Airbnb user - money never directly changes hands between the guest and host. 

I understand you feel scammed. But I think the host probably feels like you totally took advantage of her home and hospitality. 

Thank you for your comments. Not sure how the host feels scammed since we told her about it, and as I said she was fine with it, until she wasn't. But then again it was verbal so according to Airbnb I won't be believed. Just like us giving her 320 dollars is not believed. 

There is something oddly disquieting about how this whole this went down. And it will be worked out or it won't. 

Thanks again I think we've both said enough about the issue. 

I see you're from S. Korea so is our host perhaps you know her.

@Susan-Nonna0 

We had a couple guys from Canada visit our office last week..... I'm sure you must know them too. 

Seriously?!?!? Your presumptuous comment is really uncalled for!!! 

I don’t want any more communication with you. I think I mentioned that in an an earlier comment. Thanks for your help.  

@Susan-Nonna0  Right back at you.

You're the one who posted the extremely discriminatory (not to mention totally rude) comment after the fact. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Can you be more clear as to what you want from airbnb? 

Is it a receipt? If the host won't give you a receipt, I don't know what airbnb can do about that, they can ask the host to do it, or if the host collecting money is/was against airbnb policies, then the host can be suspended or even banned.  But, since airbnb didn't collect the money, they won't be able to give a receipt.

If you want a refund, airbnb might be able to help there, but again, they won't refund any $$ that wasn't collected on their platform.  You will have a better case if all the communications about these various extra charges are recorded either on airbnb's message system or texts that you can upload and send as evidence.  If this was all verbal, then I am sorry to say, the odds are pretty high you won't get any compensation or refund.

Did the host say why they won't give a receipt?  That seems odd unless the $ was collected against airbnb policies and so they don't want a record of their actions to be used against them.

Susan-Nonna0
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

The host collected money.  Demanded 320.00 dollars in cash for two guests. My sister and I had moved out and two more family members moved in. Yes I "now" know this is against the rules. But did not then. 

We had also informed the host that this was happening, and she seemed fine with it until she wasn't.

She refuses to provide a receipt to my husband who gave her the cash. And I don't know why. She keeps insisting (lying) that it was my sister-in-law who gave her the cash. This is not the case. I don't seem to understand all the fuss over a receipt!  Yes, I think you are correct they don't want a record of their actions used against them.  But can't Airbnb help in this matter. There were 3 witnesses who saw my husband give Sophia the cash. And her demand for it.  Why doesn't Airbnb move to ban or suspend her???

All we are asking for is a receipt, we've spent more than 4 days trying to resolve this issue. And nothing but frustration.  My husband also moved out a day earlier b/c he felt threatened and feared them coming into the home and perhaps hurting him. What a mess. He had to move to A Day's Inn - yes we have the receipt for that.