Unannounced visit to fix problem not reported

Unannounced visit to fix problem not reported

We are in a private bottom floor of a duplex with a small yard. We have 3 small dogs. There is one common walk way which we put up a temporary barrier in front of. We are the only ones using that space so it was perfect. 

Today, the owner showed up unannounced to “fix” (our) problem, and put up a temporary non removable barrier in that space. Now we have one way in and out, and with a disabled family member, that does not work for us. 

We have 3 more weeks here but now we feel like we have privacy issues!!

Recommendations? 

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Howard176 It’s not really clear from your post what your issues are. Erecting  barriers on someone’s property without discussion/permission is not kosher. My hackles and suspicions would be raised if I had guests doing what you describe without consulting me. Before erecting the barrier was the best time to communicate your needs to the host, but if you didn’t do that, I suggest now may be a good time to start communicating with them about whatever is going on. 

The common walkway was not blocked, only the entrance to our private backyard so when the other tenants came in and out of their door, our dogs and/or toddler did not follow them.  There was a gate there before and the owner showed up and installed a temporary barrier. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Howard176 @Colleen253 

Common walkway. Not private.

Guest decides to block it without permission.

Owner notices that the common walkway has been blocked using what? Whatever it is, owner doesn’t like it.

Owner erects his own barrier on his own property. Possibly because residents in the other half of the duplex are complaining. Now there is no shared walkway.

How is this a privacy issue?

Guest’s best option is to cancel remaining three weeks and leave if this does “not work” for them.

Maybe guest can find a rental that will allow him to block common areas for the use of his dogs.

Because the owner should have messaged me, either letting me know he was coming by, or asking me to remove the lounge chair, or clarifying by letting me know there was a complaint. 

Not showing up unannounced. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Howard176 @Colleen253 

So the GUEST thinks the owner has no right to remove a tripping hazard from a shared walkway without his permission.

The owner doesn’t need anyone’s permission to walk around outside the building that he owns or perform necessary maintenance.

”Your problem” is that you cannot control your pets or children. And the owner doesn’t want it to become his problem when they wander into places where they should not be.

Why am I guessing that if they cunningly found a way to get past the lounge chair, got out into the road and got run over you would be screaming that it was all the owners fault?

Actually, my dogs met the owner and are completely trained. It was more for the courtesy of the other tenant. You can call it what you want. I can tell you have set your opinion. I am assuming on a lot of things!  So thanks for your opinion. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Howard176   You need to be discussing this with the host, and coming to some sort of agreement on a solution that suits your needs. If that doesn’t work out and you’re not happy with the stay, then advise them you’ll be checking out early. Send a request to shorten your booking.