100+ new tools, features, and upgrades based on feedback from our Host community

Airbnb
Official Account

100+ new tools, features, and upgrades based on feedback from our Host community

Airbnb2021_Release_YT _Thumbnail_1280x720_2x.png

We believe that the biggest travel rebound in a century is coming, and we want to help you get ready for it! We’ve introduced more than 100 changes to the app, website, and Community Support to help you take advantage of this unique opportunity—and manage your day-to-day tasks more easily. 

Here are some of the most important changes:

• A more intuitive and consistent experience across the app and website
  • A new homepage for Hosts called the Today tab 
  • A faster, searchable inbox featuring new time-saving tools and features 
  • An up-leveled Community Support team, as well as Dedicated Superhost Support 
  • Automated Arrival Guides for guests 

You can read more details about what’s new here.

Have you already noticed changes in your tools? Which improvements are you most looking forward to?

Posted on Monday 24th May 2021

169 Replies 169
Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The algorithm apparently isn't smart enough to recognize that the guest they are telling me I am  "currently hosting" at 8am doesn't check in until 3pm this afternoon. 

Small item, but pretty annoying. Why couldn't you indicate "checks in today at 3pm" , and have it click over to "currently hosting" after that time ? Lazy programming. 

Anthony341
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

I am going to change the subject of this thread.

Can someone please tell me where/if there is an agreement that I must sign for the newest Cleaniliness protocols.

Thank you

We really, really miss the previous hosting homepage. I used to go to it all of the time to see which reviews I still needed to complete, tips for improving my listing, and upcoming guests. Now all we see is upcoming guests and the UI isn't as easy and simple.

Tim2736
Level 2
Antioch, IL

Hi, How can I find help for guests who have issues?  Is there no process beyond the message center for meaningful dispute resolution conversations for guest advocacy to request a higher-level review for consideration by Airbnb? Most of the help topics and help sections are Host-centric and biased in favor of hosts!?  Lastly, how can I contact Mr. Chesky, or a senior staffer and ask a question? Thank you.

@Tim2736 You can't get access to higher levels in Airbnb - They just won't talk to you (or anyone else). 

Many hosts would dispute that Airbnb is biased in favour of hosts.

If you truly believe you have a valid case raise a small claims court claim or go to arbitration as per the terms and conditions. 

Your comment and answer just proved my point!  Of course, most hosts would disagree about Airbnb's bias for hosts, is that why Airbnb changed the extenuating circumstances and stated it was because so many hosts were complaining about how unfair it was to let guests cancel trips due to illness, family emergencies, or other serious family issues?  No transparency, and no accountability to guests/consumers/customers,  and no help for guests!   Airbnb talk's the talk, but doesn't walk the walk!  What arbitration?  I've been asking the Airbnb 'experience' message center representative for 2 weeks how to do that!  Not one word about any arbitration process!?  I was new to Airbnb, I did not know the deposit was non-refundable, or I never would have made the reservation!    

@Tim2736 Try a bit of self help. Go online and research the small claims court - raise a case and see where you end up ( if they contest your claim you will likely lose). It is cheaper than arbitration. 

Alternatively keep bleating on the forum - In some ways it will be cheaper than losing a court case.

Sharyn5
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Airbnb has a definite bias towards the traveler, not the host.

Tim2736
Level 2
Antioch, IL

Dear Mr. Cheskey,  It is not my intent here to offend you, or berate you personnally!  Airbnb's refund policies make a mockery of common human decency, fair-play, and good business practices, in my opinion, I'm sorry to say.  They seem somewhat hypocritical, and embarrassing especially in light of Airbnb's recent excellent humanitarian program roll-out to help refugees from war-torn countries with 'free' housing, (if the hosts agree!)  That kind of corporate community caring is to be applauded, and admired.   Airbnb will go out of the way to help and accommodate a certain class of people, but not another class of people who actually pay the bills?  That seems discriminatory?  When a guest cancels a trip, especially for reasons beyond their control, ('extenuating circumstances policy' notwithstanding), and the guest incurrs a loss of half the total trip, that is not a penalty, it's a sentence and a monetary judgment!  A punishment and a forced-fine without due process or representation for issues usually reserved for defendants in a criminal or civil case who are found guilty by a jury of their peers and sentenced by a Judge!  Airbnb policy certainly seems skewed towards the Host!  The Guests' who do cancel are left with little to no recourse when a host doesn't care to modify their refund policy level, or work with a guest on alternate dates or a refund, as my Host choose!   If that's not unfair and one-sided?   Making matters worse, Airbnb goes to extraordinary efforts not to help guests, when disputes occur.  Airbnb acts as the de-facto judge and jury, points to and shifts issue resolution to the 'host' as sole arbiter for the refund policy level they chose!  How many masters can one serve?  When a guest feels dupped, patronized, taken advantage of, made a fool of, and 'left to twist in the wind' do you think they'll ever book a trip with Airbnb or that host again?   Wouldn't a more reasonable policy say, "Wait a minute, that's not what we (Airbnb) is about!  Let's see if we can work this out so all parties feel they have been treated fairly?  Airbnb offers no internal guest independant advocate or independent arbiter to review the issues and assist guests in resolving and mediating difficult issues.  (It's not the Customer Service Department!)  In my first experience with Airbnb, a few weeks before my trip, my wife was diagnosed with advanced, stage 2-3, colon cancer!  (What more does one have to say!?)  I'm a disabled Vietnam-era veteran, retired former first-responder, and my wife's primary caregiver!  Sorry, no refund for you!  If you offered travel insurance I would have taken it!   As it stands, I lost half of what I paid, for a trip I never took, for something 'no longer' covered under Airbnb's 'extenuating circumstances' policy!?  The host did not want to make any accommodations, or changes, and I'm sorry to say, Airbnb's customer service is so egregious, patronizing, disingenuous, it's more than a very cruel joke!  My request was that the Airbnb, Customer Service Ambassador, escalate my claim for a higher-review decision by Airbnb, and consideration for an 'exception-exemption', under circumstances not covered under the policy that was changed last year because Host's complained that they were not being treated fairly? because some guest's were taking advantage of the policy, and the Host's were losing money!   NOW, I'm losing money..., for a trip my group never took, and fear and uncertainty with family issues!   I felt obligated to reimburse each member, (brothers and friends), who also decided not to go out of respect for my wifes issues!  I doubt this message will be recieved  by you personnaly, but I hope it does.  Is there no process by which you or Airbnb would consider an exception in this case, or better, allow a proccess at Airbnb to 'higher-level review' such issues when they occur for higher-review special condsideration?  At least guests would all feel like we were being listened to, taken seriously, and being considered!   Thank You.  Tim2736

@Tim2736  I can assure you that Brian Chesky does not read the posts on this forum and your endless whining and outrage over being held to the cancellation policy you agreed to is incredibly childish and entitled. 

And I can also assure you that it is guests who are most pandered to by Airbnb, not hosts. Just because you didn't get what you wanted, you make assumptions that are simply not true.

And viewing housing refugees fleeing from a regime which will murder them, to you not getting money back for a cancelled buddies weekend at a cabin as hypocricy, is jaw-dropping.

Thank you, Ms. Captain Obvious!   MY GOD, LADY!  You couldn't have convoluted my comments any better than an Airbnb 'Support Ambassador'!   Don't you have anything better to do than to bash guests with personal insults and hate speech, because you don't agree with them?  I suggest you seek anger management help, ASAP!   Not to worry, we're all rooting for you to make Airbnb, 'Host of the Month'!  Your friend, Brian!     

@Tim2736 I feel anger management needs to start slightly closer to home.

You all are so concerned over cancellation policies....it's it a long stay (large amt), check the Host's policies!  I've NEVER had a policy to keep any $ when I'm cancelled...it's a hit to me, & I hope Guests can appreciate.  A BIGGER ISSUE IS WHEN AIRBNB WILL NOT COVER DAMAGES THAT AFFECT THE VALUE OF YOUR HOUSE...EVEN WHEN THE GUEST POINTED OUT THE DAMAGE SHE CAUSED!!!  THEY WILL ONLY PAY, IT SEEMS, FOR THINGS UNDER ABOUT $1K.  AFTER THAT....THEY ONLY WANT TO GIVE YOU 15-25%, IF YOU PUSH THEM.  NOW I'M UP TO ABOUT $10K IN DAMAGES THAT ARE GOING TO REDUCE THE VALUE OF MY HOUSE!!!  SOMEONE HELP ME FIGHT THAT BATTLE!!!  THEY KEEP SAYING IT'S POLICY WHEN ALL I SEE ON THE WEBSITE IS EACH HOST BEING COVERED UP TO $50K FOR DAMAGE.  WHO WANTS TO HELP ME FIGHT THAT LIE!!!!  THIS IS A 60 MINUTE EPISODE OF HOW AIRBNB LIES TO THEIR HOSTS, HAS HUGE DELAYS FROM ALLOWING YOU TO GET THE LOWEST PRICE (FROM CONTRACTORS WITH PRESSURE TACTICS), AND THEN THEY TELL YOU THEY'LL PAY 10-15%, BUT I'VE PUSHED & FINALLY GOT THEM UP TO 25%.  STILL, I'M OUT $10-$15K OF THE VALUE OF MY HOUSE....WHERE CAN I GO TO GET REAL PROBLEMS SOLVED?!?!?!?!

@Rose1673 

Dear rose,

don't get frustrated please.. the caps lock was on..

I understand is part of stress in every growing business that is right..

but, do you ever tried to communicate with airbnb. List all the damage of each unit and how much do you decided the guest should recover, or pay you back.. 

so it is legit..

is not a con.. is what it is decided.. because then you can decide what belongs to you and what it is not your responsibility, but the guest responsibility.

There are time I like to take a picture of each important object and send it in to Airbnb, because there are many people is being offered cheaper villa, that belongs to some one who live over seas in a cheaper price between airport and my villa.. I'm in Bali..

the guest than put a brand new roll of tissue in the closet just to get a refund..

by this I can verify that it was not my mistake, but it was a decision made by the rentals..

I don't believe this is not being sneaky.. is being prepare.. but you really don't know what kind of people that is coming and yet we do have to smile and welcome them, with out discrimination...

your job is to prevent .. and maybe in your case you need to make a verification that your price you set and is not a con.. I believe Airbnb would listen to a better solution, because we as a host are part of Airbnb.. and is also our responsibility to make the system works through a brand new idea of improvements and solution.. 

Making it simple is the hardest part of the process

Jeffrey Bong
Sharyn5
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

It seems that all the new "I'm flexibel" search tools for travelers are for specialty housing like tree house or beach house, or potato house, cabin, etc, etc.  So what about all the rest of us with nice normal houses??  Are we dog meat now?  I want flexible travelers to be able to find my rentals in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico too!IMG_5143.jpg