A Message From Our Founders

Airbnb
Official Account

A Message From Our Founders

We know it has been a challenging time for hosts in our community, and we understand that the coming days may be filled with more questions and even more uncertainty.

Today, Airbnb founders Brian Chesky, Joe Gebbia, and Nate Blecharczyk renewed their commitment to supporting hosts during this difficult time and to keeping everyone in our community safe. In case you missed their message to hosts, we wanted to share their thoughts here:

Dear hosts,

With the current global crisis, we know that many of you are experiencing a significant loss of bookings and a large number of cancellations. The last few days have been incredibly challenging and confusing for everyone. It's our goal to be as transparent and proactive as possible.

First and foremost, we are going to get through this crisis as partners—our success is dependent on the success of you, our hosts. We are working day and night on a plan of action that will help you get through this extremely difficult time. We will share this with you as soon as possible in the coming weeks.

Second, with the World Health Organization declaring a pandemic, we made the difficult decision on Saturday to put in place a global policy allowing all guests to cancel eligible reservations for a full refund—including all Airbnb fees. We know this decision has caused incredible hardship for many of you. Many hosts were already accepting cancellations outside of established policies. You have asked us why we did this when some other companies in our space have not. We want to make sure you understand our thinking.

This pandemic is leading cities and nations to undergo extreme measures. In this crisis, our first priority is the health of the public and our communities. We did not want guests making the decision to put themselves in unsafe situations and creating a public health hazard because of a commitment to their bookings. We believe this is the responsible thing to do given the guidance of governments and health experts.

While it’s clear to all of us that the coronavirus has deeply impacted our community, we know that this moment will pass and travel will be back. As people are starting to use Airbnb for long-term bookings and stays close by, it’s clear that we need to be a part of helping all of us get through this as quickly as possible. The desire to connect is in all of us, and we will be together again, but for now our priority is to do our part to keep everyone safe.

We are partners, and we will get through this together.

Airbnb’s Founders,

Brian, Joe, and Nate

82 Replies 82

@Anja39i am almost sure that on April 14 this disgusting Airbnb masquerade will continue until the end of May

@Adriano78  I am afraid you are right. What were they thinking? They must have anticipated hosts being disapointed and moving to other platforms if they can at all survive this set back. I guess they don’t view us as important to their business model. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Dear Founders

First of all, thanks for addressing us, the hosts.

IMHO, If there is a contract ( even the ones that involves cancelation policy), since I was a child I was told that I have to accomplish with whom I have a deal with. If there is a contract, there are clauses that must be accomplished, even in case of cancellation or interuption.
It is a business between HOST and GUEST. Both have agreed with the cancellation policy.

I want any guest and any host in safe conditions.
It is not necessary to overule a contract to be safe.
Anyone can be safe and also acommplish with their obligations.
Hosts and guests are adults, and know that the strict cancellation policy involve loss of money for both parts, not for only one part.

In view of the circunstances, I would be willing to compromise. Instead of receiving 50% of each cancellation, I would have accepted 25%.

Can not you rethink that change regarding the strict policy cancellation?

Be sure that, the most faithful and succesful hosts are the ones who accomplish with what they have promissed.

Here, It is just my honest opinion.
I wish you all the best and I hope everything return to normal soon.

Regards
J Renato

I cannot advertise my property on Airbnb if they are going to overrule my strict cancellation rules.  I am not in this for the social aspect.  I have bills to pay.

Heather397
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

This statement should not have been sent. You will be fine your guests will be  fine a lot of us certainly won’t. You have left us high and dry.

Jason1350
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Gentleman @Airbnb , the future is still primed with opportunity, don’t lose that by overthinking this,  just do what’s right , by your customers, by your “partners” by your roots.

Even the most innovative business models have flaws, especially when pushed into unfamiliar, uncomfortable territory—it’s how you emerge that truly enhances your value, strengthens your roots. 

There will be time to challenge, improve and celebrate decisions, I anticipate. But RIGHT NOW, smart decisions are imperative to impacting how we all rise from this.

There’s no reason anyone should be feeling uncomfortable during a time of much grander concerns. Please @Airbnb , take some tangible action to put your hosts minds at ease. It would be so appreciated and maybe help everyone sleep a little better. 

Godspeed! 

Adriano78
Level 10
Seville, Spain

here in Europe is well know you have a double-dipping. A massive fraud,  guest 100% refund with our money + 100% insurance.

This morning  I was furious, I received the scandalous Airbnb  *bleep* email message  sent to all the host in the world :

"We know that this decision has met some of you in a difficult situation. Many hosts were already accepting cancellations outside of the established conditions. You asked us why we made this decision when other companies in our sector did not pass. We want to make sure that you understand our reasoning.

This pandemic is pushing cities and countries to take extreme measures. In this crisis, our priority is to preserve the health of the population and our communities. We did not want travelers to make the decision to put themselves in dangerous situations and pose a public health risk in order to honor their reservation. We believe this is the most responsible choice given the advice of governments and health experts."

Are you kidding @Airbnb ??:       " In this crisis, our priority is to preserve the health of the population and our communities. We did not want travelers to make the decision to put themselves in dangerous situations and pose a public health risk in order to honor their reservation".

you really think the hosts are stupid????, YOU DON'T *bleep* CARE about population, communities..........,  what you want is just to make an advertising campaign by making the guests believe that Airbnb is so generous (with hosts money) and the other companies so nasty because they do not refund (booking, vrbo ...) .
After the covid crisis with this advertising campaign, you hope that your SUPER generosity (with host money)you will win new customers.

AIRBNB, I know you so generous because you have millions of dollars, and you love your hosts so now I suggest you to refund guests with YOUR MONEY and not with host money. WE ARE NOT AN INSURANCE COMPANY

Susana574
Level 2
Havana, CU

Dear Sirs, I take note of the unilateral measures that you have adopted as a consequence of the epidemic of COVID 19. However, I cannot accept that when you cancel a reservation, you define it due to the "disaster that struck Havana" (see email of 14/03) relating to the HMAMYWCXCX Reservation). Here in Cuba there are only 7 reported cases and under strict medical supervision, none in Havana. The local health service, recognized as one of the best in the world, implements a strong prevention policy starting from the only small active airport to the various particular houses where a doctor goes every day to check on guests and hosts. I do not want to go into the merits of world politics that has transformed COVID 19 into a nightmare that harms the freedom of individuals for purposes that are not yet clear (the "common" seasonal influence, also of the virus crown family, reaps thousands of victims all the years and so many other infectious diseases, without the media and governments wasting themselves on world-wide actions). Instead, I want to consider the Airbnb policy that treacherously and unilaterally decides to suspend experiences and reservations and then launch into bombastic speeches on "all united we will win". Sorry but I live in Cuba and I hear enough of these banana regime talks and my fathers are old Italians enough to remember others. Why do we have to reimburse 100% of the guests who actually come to get back an amount intended for fun while we lose the money we needed to eat? If we all win together, if Airbn is so close to us for any need, why not do it halfway? Why not divide the damage and suffering among everyone instead of the usual: "arm ourselves and go"?
You certainly do not return the interest of payments received months in advance and well kept in the bank, while you pay us when the customer has already greeted and forgotten us.
Sorry for the outburst, but the modus operandi of Airbnb in recent times has not been favorable to us (nonetheless we are super host).
I am sure you will take note of our discontent even if, as always: Ubi major minor cessat

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Adriano78  Thanks for posting this.  

What a 1000% better policy that is.  Gee, treating hosts as if they are an important part of the equation, renouncing their fee, using a carrot to get hosts to reimburse but still making it their own choice.

@Mark116you welcome sorry for the bad english it was a google traduction

Zoe78
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

We don’t feel like you have our backs Airbnb! We’re left to deal with 100% refunds and loses and no help from you whatsoever. Disgraceful 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Adriano78  posting of the actions take by VRBO show that indeed, it was quite possible to craft a response that didn't put the full financial burden on hosts.  

Gerhard4
Level 6
Davenport, FL

the corona virus is a burden for everyone, but the decision from Airbnb to invoke the extenuating circumstances policy is a not fair policy. The AirBnB Founders like to write a nice piece that we are all in this together!
and that AirBnB is not receiving any funds with the cancelation is off course not in the same degree!

Most Hosts are using the platform , not because of a hobby, but as a business.

We all have set up our specific terms and conditions to protect our business, AirBnB is handling as if they are the ones doing the actual work, but as they told a judge when being sued, they are only a platform..

when people make travel arrangements, they are making a financial commitment, and that is why people who travel (unless they have enough money to burn) get a travel insurance, in case something happens they will not loose all their money . the insurance will payout when they are not able to travel for a legitimate reason.

when they book, they are confronted with our strict 30 days cancelation policy, so it is not a surprise!

Now what airbnb is doing, making the travelers problem, the problem for the hosts who rely on the income from the hosting platform. 

the travelers (again) are protected already!!

hosts can not insure themselves if guests are not able to arrive.

Airbnb should leave it up to the host incase the host do want to refund more than is required. now AirBnB is just being the boss over all of us...

In my opinion AirBnB is overstepping their authority, although we all signed up for their vague and ever changing terms and conditions, even if they were not in line with your own.  

I have a cancelation which was paid out in full, on Sunday , but with the new conditions of Monday (received an e-mail about this in the afternoon) , this reservation would not be covered under the full refund!!
(should I claim this under the host guarantee instead??)

this is not the first time AirBnB is acting selfishly, during hurricanes in Florida , they like to advertise that they are the ones ( even in the news) to provide free stays for evacuees!!

but in reality the hosts are the ones who will cary this burden..(airbnb is just not charging a fee..!)

I have opened the last few hurricanes some of our homes open specifically for evacuees who are traveling with pets since they have the hardest time to find a place. AirBnB still likes to take credit for that!! NOT GOOD!!

I still have issues with a previous decision AirBnB made in my disadvantage, and they promised some one from legal would get back to me, never happened...

The corona virus is effecting all of us, but with the " so called help" from airbnb the scales are unfairly tipping over!!!

leaving the hosts becoming victims !!!..

Tom-And-Rhonda0
Level 1
Johnson City, TN

I'll add my 2¢ worth. Brian, Joe, and Nate? Do you want a huge, free, positive, image boost for AirBnB? We'd appreciate it, too!

It's time for Brian, Joe, and Nate to do a grace filled, generous show of support to hosts. We have also done well with our properties due to the AirBnB image as a lower cost alternative to hotels, but have Brian, Joe, and Nate considered giving back during these difficult times? Sharing a billion or two to help would be amazing! A real show of "family" and a huge "publicity," free advertising, positive image

Lately, don't get me wrong, I'm still thankful and making a nice income off our rental properties, I'm beginning to think that we hosts are making the significant sacrifices when: A) we are supposed to drop prices to get more bookings, and B) cancellations are solely our responsibility to cover the loss. I appreciate the continual push to improve the AirBnB portals and the kind and helpful (mostly) staff on the support team. I know it costs a ton to keep the official side running efficiently. Would it be too much to ask that at certain times of the year, such as in the off season, or for a reward for longevity, Superhost status, etc., fees are waived for occasional guests or properties? Giving back never hurts, and can only create a much needed boost in so many ways.

Hope this helps in the times we are now living!

In the words of (Galaxy Quest):

Jason Nesmith: Never give-up, never surrender.

S56
Level 1
Haarlem, NL

Ik vind het onrechtvaardig dat het volledige verlies op de schouders van de gastheren en vrouwen komt! Er zou een eerlijke verdeling moeten zijn, zodat wij ook onze rekeningen kunnen blijven betalen en nog een inkomen hebben! Ik voel mij enorm in de steek gelaten door Airbnb! Een schande en ook fout gehandeld door Airbnb!