A New Year’s Eve reminder for guests—watch the video we’re sending them about House Rules and more

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

A New Year’s Eve reminder for guests—watch the video we’re sending them about House Rules and more

Hello everyone,

New Year’s Eve is just around the corner! As many of you know, it’s one of Airbnb’s most-booked nights of the year. With so many new travelers using the platform, we thought now would be a good time to remind guests of what’s expected of them: that they treat your home like their own.

So we’ve put together this video, which covers everything from reviewing House Rules to being mindful of excessive noise. 

The video went out to guests, along with the following email:

Thank you for booking with Airbnb for the holidays. On New Year's Eve this year, we expect more than 4 million guests to stay with Airbnb hosts, all around the world. We're grateful you're part of this global community.We want to make sure your trip goes smoothly, so we’d like to share these tips before you go. (And we made you a video).

Know what to expect

Review the House Rules you agreed to when you booked. If you have any questions about them, message your host through Airbnb. 

Check your number of guests

Your reservation is limited to a certain number of overnight guests. Stick to that number, or request a reservation change in advance of your trip. 

Be mindful of noise

Respect the neighborhood by keeping noise to a minimum at night. Airbnb doesn’t allow open-invite parties in homes, or any parties without your host’s approval.

Visit like you live there

Be considerate of the place you’re visiting. Tidy up after yourself, and message your host if anything was damaged or broken. Treat the home and neighbourhood like your own.

Remember we’re here for you

In the unlikely event something goes wrong, we have your back, 24/7. 

Thanks again for celebrating the new year with us.  

Best wishes for 2020,

The Airbnb team

With these tips, we hope to inspire better guest behavior and to bring a little peace of mind to hosts like you over the busy holiday season. Keep in mind that this is just the beginning—we’re doing lots of thinking around guest education, and we hope to share more of these programs with you next year. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

12 Replies 12
Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

This video really does nothing to address any of the issues, but merely beats around the bush. Also, absolutely no prospective guest is going to bother looking at that video. Pointless.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While I understand @Natalie725 negativity as the video is an option to view, I agree with a multi level marketing plan to get the message out about the value of staying in someone's home and the expectations that go along with that opportunity.  I think any campaign has to be constant, with  variety of messaging levels and consistent.  A single video will not be enough.  Anyone in marketing knows that.

Do you honestly think guests are even taking note of marketing ploys or videos, or even automated emails? They can't even read a full listing. They can't even read house rules ! Guests do not pay attention, especially when something has a lengthy word count.  They absolutely do not ever want to click into an external link or video. We are hosts, so its on our brain and we care and consider the aspect of marketing and communication. Guests don't have this at the forefront of their minds like we do. This particular video is useless... Whether its a series of marketing videos and emails/messages. It simply won't be affective. Guests should be ticking off boxes like terms and conditions before being allowed to proceed with a booking. That is the only way.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Oh for God's sake. How utterly ridiculous - and useless. How is a happy clappy, hippy-dippy cartoon - better suited to 5 year olds - and a few wishy-washy "please play nice" words, going to "inspire" guests to behave, in any way, shape or form?

How about Airbnb just makes it crystal clear to guests that there absolutely will  be consequences for their actions if they cause trouble, and for serious violations, their bookings will  be terminated immediately - with no refund - and let them know, in no uncertain terms, that Airbnb will not  be rehousing them with another poor unsuspecting host, should their original host have reason to kick them out? 

New Year's Eve is the most risky, most troublesome, most stressful, most dangerous night of the year for hosts the whole world over. Yet this nauseatingly childish nonsense is the best Airbnb can come up with in their efforts to "better protect our host community"? Seriously??

And the final message to guests in both that silly video, and the equally fawning email... 

"Remember we’re here for you.

In the unlikely event something goes wrong, we have your back, 24/7."

Here's a radical idea - perhaps if Airbnb leave guests in no doubt whatsoever, that if they are the ones responsible when "something goes wrong", then Airbnb absolutely will not  tolerate their cheating/scamming/anti-social behaviour, and will  have their shafted host's back instead, we might see a significant decrease in problematic (and criminal) incidents on the platform. 

This is the real world, @Airbnb - the world in which people regularly get shot at out-of-control Airbnb parties, the world in which Airbnb hosts' homes regularly get thrashed by marauding guests, the world in which Airbnb hosts regularly get ripped off and cheated by scamming travellers - not bloody kindergarten. Step up, and stop insulting and disrespecting your host community with these pathetic panaceas.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

To put this in perspective - and to enlighten anyone who feels that my comment on people regularly getting shot at Airbnb parties is any sort of exaggeration - here's just a little evidence of the scale of the problem... 

Orinda Violence Fits Pattern - At Least 42 People Shot At Airbnb Rentals In Past 6 Months

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Orinda-Airbnb-violence-fits-pattern-at-least-14815970.php

And since  the Orinda tragedies... 

Nov 3, 2019. Two Men Injured Following Shooting At Edmonton Airbnb. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6304537/toronto-airbnb-party-gunshots/

Dec 6, 2019. Woman Injured After 55 Shots Fired At Portland Airbnb Party

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/12/woman-injured-after-55-shots-fired-during-party-at-portland...

Dec 17 2019. It Was Horrifying - Shooting At Toronto Airbnb Party Leaves Community On Edge

https://globalnews.ca/news/6304537/toronto-airbnb-party-gunshots/

Dec 19, 2019. Over 20 Rounds Fired Into Philadelphia Airbnb, Leaving Man In Critical Condition.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/over-20-rounds-fired-philadelphia-airbnb-leaving-man-critical-c...

The real Airbnb world, and what real-world Airbnb hosts (and their neighbours) all too often have to deal with, and need strong, solid protections against. Cutesy little cartoons just don't cut it. 

From the Dec.17th article:

Airbnb spokesperson Lindsey Scully said in a statement that the company is outraged at the reported behaviour over the weekend.

“We have removed the booking guest from our community and suspended the listing as we investigate further,” she wrote. (Bolding mine)

From the Dec.19th article:

Airbnb did not immediately have a statement for NBC News

From the OP:

"We have your back 24/7"

@Susan17 @Rebecca181 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I am sure this cute greeting card will change everything, wild kids just have to be gently reminded to behave and they will :)))

Jingle bells, jingle bells....

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Perhaps it might be helpful as a pop-up before actually booking ? You know, like there are pop-up ads on all the websites.

"Please view this short video before proceeding to the booking screen".   And it only allows you to "skip this"  after all the relevant info has been presented. 

Unlikely, I imagine, but it would demonstrate if Airbnb was fundamentally serious about getting guests to watch it. . 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Something must be wrong with the audio: I couldn't hear one of Disney's overblown, pseudo-emotive theme songs playing in the background. Or maybe they couldn't get Elton John this year to score?  @Susan17 

Rick-And-Brenda0
Level 1
McKenzie Bridge, OR

Very good!  Airbnb should provide this type of a reminder to all guests and all reservations to encourage our guests to be honest. Many have tendencies to take advantage of the system. 

i have had several 3rd party bookings and also people who have booked for 1 person but then 5 showed up. airnbnb support just said to ask them to update the amount of guests. i dont have an extra guest fee so the price didn't increase. but it was alot more work to host that just 1 guest. so in the end i think i was hustled. also i have  not recieved a payout from a recent stay from guests from china. perhaps airbnb wanted to hold onto my payout to ensure they have a good new year. and boost their networth of liquid capital so when they take their stock public this year 2020 they will look better and more financially solevent. goodluck airbnb

Doris104
Level 2
Meaford, Canada

This memo was sent out to air bnb guests wanting to book for New Years?? My guests never got that message clearly and were planning on trashing my place. I think Air bnb needs to get more on point with who is in charge the guest that just wants a place to party or the host that is left to deal with the mess and damage plus repair costs. This company needs to stand up more for the hosting side.