A recap of the April 9 Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

Airbnb
Official Account

A recap of the April 9 Host Update with CEO Brian Chesky

CEO Brian Chesky kicked off this week’s talk with an update on the state of global travel: 4 billion people around the world are now staying at home, borders continue to close, and many airlines have grounded their flights. The travel industry is struggling, and we know hosts are feeling the impact.

But there’s still a lot to be hopeful about, especially when we look at what’s happening right here in our community. From offering accommodations to COVID-19 responders to sharing the magic of Airbnb Experiences from your homes, so many of you continue to find ways to host and connect.

Brian talked about all of this and more—here are some of the key takeaways from his latest Host Update:

An exciting milestone for our Frontline Stays program

Just two weeks ago, we launched our Frontline Stays program to offer accommodations for healthcare professionals responding to COVID-19 around the world. And we have been so inspired by the incredible response from our host community. As of today, you’ve already offered over 100,000 places to stay for COVID-19 responders.

The Frontline Stays program is just one more example of the tenacity and generosity of Airbnb hosts. We’re incredibly grateful for all you do. 

Clarity around our Superhost Relief Fund eligibility requirements

We’re happy to share that the Superhost Relief Fund is expanding by an extra $7 million USD, bringing it to a total of $17 million USD of support. Many of you are wondering why hosts with more than two listings aren’t eligible to apply. The spirit of this program is to help people who host in their primary homes, and we’ll be prioritizing hosts based on their tenure with Airbnb and how much their earnings have declined due to COVID-19. We’re planning to invite eligible hosts by May 15 and distribute grants by May 31.

In the meantime, we’re finding other ways to help our diverse community of hosts, starting with auto-granting Superhost status in July for anyone who was a Superhost in our April 1 assessment. That means if you were a Superhost in April, you’ll maintain your status regardless of your cancellation or booking rate. Learn more about the Superhost Relief Fund

Support for hosts who have Flexible cancellation policies

Last week, we announced that we’ll be investing $250 million USD to share in the cost of COVID-19-related cancellations. For hosts impacted by these cancellations under our extenuating circumstances policy, we’ll pay 25% of what you would have received through your own cancellation policy.

Since these cash disbursements depend on the amount you would have retained under your cancellation policy, those of you with Flexible and Moderate policies may be less likely to benefit from them. But we’re working on other ways to support you, starting with getting you more bookings as quickly as we can. We've rolled out a new search filter so guests can find your listings more easily, and we're making your listings more visible in other ways, too. We’re seeing signs that this is what guests want—the share of bookings with a Flexible policy is now 15% higher than it was before COVID-19.

A new way to connect: Online Experiences

After pausing Airbnb Experiences last month, we heard from countless hosts who wanted to keep hosting and who believed they could offer a similar level of connection online. So we’re excited to announce the launch of Online Experiences—an idea that came directly from our hosts! Online Experiences will allow hosts to earn money, share their passions, and connect with others, whether it’s an individual hoping to learn a new skill or a group of colleagues doing a team-building exercise. We’re also partnering with local organizations to bring Online Experiences to senior citizens who may be feeling lonely and isolated right now. Hosts are already offering Online Experiences like magic lessons, cooking classes, guided meditations, and more.

Interested in hosting an Online Experience? We'll be offering hosts personalized support services for curating, capturing, and sharing their online content. Learn more at Airbnb.com/onlinehost

Let’s stay connected

Your feedback has been more important than ever as we navigate this unprecedented time. So much of our response has been guided by your personal stories, questions, and suggestions, and we’re going to keep finding ways to connect with you.

We’ll continue to hold listening sessions with hosts around the world, and we’ll be bringing you a Host Update with Brian at Airbnb.com/live every week for a while. Next Tuesday, April 14, Brian will be getting insights about hosting and staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic from Dr. Larry Brilliant, the epidemiologist who is best known for helping to eradicate smallpox. 

Thank you once again for being an Airbnb host. Please continue to share your thoughts and questions in the comments below, and we’ll do our best to address them in future Airbnb.com/live events.

85 Replies 85

@Esteban115  I wasn't saying they're unethical because of the coronavirus cancellations. I happen to be one of the hosts who think guests should be refunded 100% for cancellations resulting from that. But the company has treated its hosts unethically long before this present situation.

@Lucimar21 Yes, i believe Airbnb could reward these restricted share purchases to hosts based on, among other things, tenure, number of stays hosted, etc...just as an employee stock plan would work. It’s pretty basic actually. Each host could designate how much of their payouts they would like to contribute to the stock plan...starting in May 2020. For guests, they can offer vouchers for travel at discounted rates...so X airbnb credits for $€¥ cash as a way to raise capital and community engagement. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Airbnb  "We’re planning to invite eligible hosts by May 15 and distribute grants by May 31."

Exactly how does this help hosts who are struggling or unable to pay bills right now for the no bookings and cancellations they've had because of COVID since the beginning of March- 3 months without income, and Airbnb thinks May 31 is a helpful and appropriate timeline?

I guess they need the next 2 months to develop new initiatives instead of attending to what their hosts actually need now?

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@sadly i think by pushing payment till end of May, Airbnb is only trying to help hosts who will survive, as chances are a host who will be able to stay open after the end of May are the one who will be able to open for business during summer months, that my little opinion.

If Airbnb really wanted to help Hosts, before Brian 1st announcement, Brian would have a payment timetable but till now silence for the 25% refund.

Just hope I am wrong,  3 months without income is suicide for many hosts

Gene12
Level 3
Alexandria, NJ

Here's an idea @Brian and @Airbnb.

You keep calling us "partners", that you wouldn't make it without us. Well, TRUE partners share everything, tears and laughter, pleasure and pain. So, take OUR pain and share it. Say, we, the hosts lost $1 billion due to YOUR changes in policy (without consulting us). Then you should pay out 500M to us. But don't do it immediately. Defer it over 3-4 years while in return mandating similar or higher standards from the hosts (feedback, averages, etc etc etc). This is a win/win for everyone. Cause what you're doing now is unprofessional.

@Gene12  Saw an interesting bit yesterday about how much of their net worth various billionaires have donated to COVID-related initiatives, research, medical personal protective gear, respirators and so on. Oprah, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and 7 others.

Sounds like  they are being very generous when you read they donated millions of dollars each, but in almost all cases, what they have donated is on average of .03% of their net worth. Most of us can't wrap out heads around what is disposable income to these people and how they don't donate anything that might in any way put a dent in their financial empire.

Tim691
Level 2
Brentwood, TN

What about bookings with check-in after May 31?  That is the question we need answered.  Will there be change to policy allowing full refund beyond this date?  To manage our businesses we need to know this basic point.  

Jeannie9
Level 2
Inverness, United Kingdom

As the livestream was at 11pm UK time, it was past my bedtime (I'm on the same latitude as Sitka, Alaska so dawn is already coming far too early!)  and  I haven't yet managed to catch up with it. I'd hoped for more clarity over the criteria for Superhost Relief - Airbnb is a fundamental part of my income stream and I'm really worried about how to pay the bills without it - but I list three separate rooms (all in my own home). Anybody know if that will mean I'm not eligible?

Kathleen187
Level 3
Exeter, NH

Hello, @Robin4  Exactly, thank you for pointing out the flexible reservation status that is non-existent right now from covid- 19 which has been non-existant because of lockdowns. A lot of us living in our own homes and renting rooms to guests are in serious trouble. @Lizzie  your so sweet. We all were led to believe we would be part of the relief fund as super hosts! This is so devastating to all! Be safe and healthy everyone! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kathleen187 

Kath, you can't blame Airbnb for Covid , and you can't blame them because the world has gone into lock-down. If all those future  guests that I have had removed had come to me first and asked for a refund, I would have granted it....I have never wanted to be paid for a service I did not provide. That is not my issue.

The problem I have is that, the boss tells us he is helping us when in actual fact he is introducing new ways to disadvantage us. All I ask is that, he calls a spade a spade....not some sort of earth digging implement!

I can't run a business on moonbeams, I need to know where I stand, just fess up Brian, be honest ......

And call a spade a spade! 

Cheers......Rob

Robin4,

Well said. I think AirBnB is beI forgot exposed (like a lot of businesses) as to how fragile they really are. AirBnB was originally an app to allow space to be rented. If you had extra room you make a few bucks. The people that rented lots of apartments only to list them on AirBnB are also showing how fragile their business plan is. It would be best if Brian not do webinars anymore. Seems to cause him more harm then good.

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

My cancellation fell under "long term" which entitles me to a payout under these guidelines.  For that I am grateful. Thank you.  

However, I would encourage you to consider expanding the eligibility to those with moderate or flexible policies as well.  Airbnb strongly encourages and even promotes having flexible cancellations so it would only make sense to not penalize hosts for following your guidance. 

These times are trying for all of us.  And now our governor has banned STR to anyone coming from COVID hotspots (New York, New Jersey) which really leaves everyone in a pickle.  

Thanks for your time and considering.

Hi Maxine, 

you had guests for long term rent in March or April? They canceled their stay, and you got the money for 28 days as it should be with long term bookings? 

@Maxime33 It will be interesting how they handle long terms. I had a 62 night booking (March 27-May 29) , booked in January 2020 and cancelled after March 14, 2020...

Michael4886
Level 2
Nashville, TN

@Brian failed to mention, yet again, why they decided to continue overriding hosts cancellation policies without notifying us - until May 31. He did not address how and when we should expect to get paid from this $250M fund (I know online it says monthly, but he has not addressed logistics).

Also, what happens when the $250M fund runs out? I imagine that will happen fairly quickly, considering how many hosts are out there and how many cancellations are happening... he should address this.. For seasonal places where May is one of the busiest months, what if there is nothing left in this fund to pay the hosts the 25% what they were due in their cancellation policies, if they run out by the end of April?

Lastly, he has not addressed if they will extend this 'free' cancellation policy beyond the end of May. I suspect they will leave it open ended and play it by ear. They should really attempt to leave it up to hosts to apply travel credits to each individual guest out of goodwill and abide by their cancellation policies moving forward. That is what VRBO/HomeAway is doing and it makes much more sense.