Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

Especially as the video showcases traveling with a pet!

There is probably no filter for pets because so many hosts don't want to accept pets.
Because of the minority of pet owners who cause the majority of pet damage.
So perhaps they are hoping that guests can slip in with their pet or maybe ask for special permission from hosts who have "no pet" switched on.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Phew!

A new update has come along to distract us from the refund and rebooking policy debacle, which I realise is sadly more of a side-effect than actual intent.

Imagine the proportions the next update will need to have….

@Paul1255 

i did not think about that at first but you are so right …‘distract us from the refund and rebooking policy’ this is exactly what they are doing

OMG!!!

Annie
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Classic airbnb PR train-wreck @Annie1372 😁

Lucy826
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

As a host... I need to change the catogry that I have been selected.

Also can I ask that when you request a specific item for example hot tub that all the properties without one aren't shown. Ita frustrating as a traveller to click through properties to see the word hot tub lined through with the word missing next to it. 

@Lucy826 apparently the algorithm knows better than you - and doesn't tell you why - and there is no where you can apply to get the category changed

Jerome79
Level 2
Mühlbach am Hochkönig, Austria

I love the idea of categories, but the computer generation is awful and needs fixing - please let us choose our own categories.

We are in a ski resort, yet no properties in the resort come up under "skiing" category
I mention in my listing that we give guests a card for free access to teh village pool, and there is an image fo the pool in the listing.  We do not have a pool at the property, and under amentities, I have clicked no pool.  Yet we are coming up under the category "amazing pools"
Please fix this airbnb - you are misleading customers

@Quincy  This post is a perfect practical example of what we were talking about in this thread. The Categories feature will only work if Airbnb lets hosts choose their targets.

Jillie0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

I will be interested to see how Airbnb sets categories for large properties given their fear of "party houses". 

It has been an ongoing problem for those of us with properties designed to accommodate groups of more than 16 people that we can no longer accurately describe the property facilities or our pricing structures.     (A few years ago Airbnb decided on a policy of blocking listing of any property which mentions it sleeps more than 16)   Creating a constant problem with optimistic group leaders who think they have found someone who has not priced their property correctly  so that groups can fill the property but  pay for just 16 people.

The market for venues for family and friends reunions is large,   and this type of customer is the one most likely to be flexible on location and want to use this search facility.  

Why on earth is there not a category for Cottages!!!! One of the most popular accommodation types in the UK! My cottage doesn't show up in a single category......!!! 

But instead we have historical homes! We a Historic England Listed Building, but apparently all the historical homes in the world are in France! We can't do much about any categorisation without demolishing our 300-yr-old building stone by stone and moving it to Normandy!

Exactly! We are the same, grade 2 listed thatched cottage. No category for that! 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Unfortunately my listing is no longer compatible with the new updates. For my area, which is a top 10 tourist destinations, the top listings have all now been completely hidden as they don't have 7 consecutive days available. These also had very good value so were highly sought after and booked way in advance. Only the more expensive ones at least 40% more in base rate are available or the listing has low ratings and not popular. I'll need to go up on my rates at least 30% so guest don't book so far in advance. I'll also need to list with other platforms, and similar listings are nearly twice the rates of mine. My guest were always so thrilled and excited to book my place. I really enjoyed offering a good value, and the benefit was guest booking way in advance. Anyone could instant book and they were all great guest as they all planned way in advance. I regret making any suggestions as Airbnb is just a higher risk for host. All host are going to have a harder time booking weekdays. Most guest don't work on a computer and can't take a week off and work somewhere else. I'll just have to find work arounds as I can offer better rates for shorter trips. Major changes in the works. It may take six months but I can't offer Airbnb suggest price, get all 5 star reviews, and get stuck with non booked weekdays or last minute high risk guest.  

Victoria696
Level 4
Winchester, United Kingdom

Very disappointed that Hosts weren't forewarned of these categories and advised in advance on what keywords to add to their descriptions.  My property always featured very highly in search listings in the past but now it doesn't even show up on the 'countryside' category even though we're on a 500 acre nature reserve (countryside) amongst seven lakes. 

Infact only a handful of properties for the Cotswolds shows up in the 'Countryside' category even though the Cotswolds is the largest designated 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' in England, however we don't fall into National Park status either.  

The category options are too complicated, why can't there be more like 'pets', 'cottages', 'family friendly', 'romantic' 'sport', 'water sports', 'views', 'gardens' etc, the current categories aren't relevant to a lot of users or properties. 

For example why have a 'Lake' and a 'Lakefront' category surely the two are the same.  I show up on the 'Lakefront' category but not the 'Lake' even though my guests have access to seven lakes opposite my property, which includes access water sports and fishing plus swimming. 

You already have the option to find 'shared' properties using the filter function so why repeat it with another category option?

I am very concerned that host's listing exposure will be severly impacted by these new introductions due to incorrect categories and how the AI software filters them which has already been shown to be incorrect.