Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

I’m wondering if they want us to quit.

I think so, I’ve been complaining for weeks… no reservations July, August.. etc etc one of my properties with 97 % occupancy … ZERO!

#airbnbdontcare

@Natasha-and-John0 

Nope. Only 2 since the Release, 1 on VRBO. Depressing. 

None. Dead. South Kona, Hawaii. 

@Natasha-and-John0 

Nope.

This past month, no bookings except from my current guests who want to return later in the year. 

Only one enquiry, for dates that aren't available.

Views abysmally low and keep getting lower every time I check.

I think Airbnb need to realise that the clock really is ticking and it won't be long before many of us are forced to jump ship, but maybe they just don't care?

@Huma0 

I have jumped ship to VRBO- but still here, too.  You never know.  

Honestly, this rebranded "new" AirBnb does not represent my values or my business model.  Nostalgia for wonderful summers with my family at bungalow colonies in the Catskill Mountains was the model for my AirBnb. Keep it simple, relatively affordable (got to cover expenses), provide outdoor amenities- a large firepit, porch with rocking chairs, charcoal grill, a barrel sauna, comfy chairs, all to make it a special place to  make memories.  A retro business model- with WiFi, lol.  I just bought an outdoor ping pong table, set up games. Honestly, I get immense vicarious pleasure from guests who can enjoy the place when my family can't be there (most of the time!) 

So, this "new" AirBnb with it's curated designer and high-end digs is not what I'm about, and I guess the feeling is mutual. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nancy1633 

Yes, I have tried to offer guests what I would like to have if I was in their shoes. For me, this means nicely decorated rooms, comfy beds, unlimited access to a well stocked kitchen, cute outdoor spaces to relax when the weather in London is occasionally warm, and so on.

There are many little things that many guests don't use, but I provide anyway for the few that might need/appreciate them.

This is all at an affordable price and, since I have for some time targeted solo travellers staying long term, the price point is super important. For the most part, my guests have been very happy and, until recently (post-COVID, although I don't like to use that term because COVID hasn't vanished exactly, can be more picky/demanding) had a 5.0 average for years. 

BUT, I am not eligible for any categories other than shared homes. It doesn't seem to matter how many categories Airbnb adds (latest one seems to be islands). There will always be people looking for a cute, comfortable, affordable place to stay with a good level of service and communication from a caring host. If that happens to be in any location/setting that falls outside of their categories, none of that matters. Airbnb has decided that it knows better what the guest wants.

I am not sure that's a wise business decision. You can try to persuade your customer to choose something else, but you can't force them, especially if the competition is giving them what they actually want.

#airbnbdoesntcare

#removecategories

after weeks of complaining and still  ZERO reservations from 90% occupancy with the worst categories nightmare.

The ones who realized what is going on are complaining all over

we don’t need categories, we need only filters

@Natasha-and-John0 

None,  Zero bookings or requests on any of my premium properties.  Have gotten a couple bookings on my lower tier cottages.  Normally I'm starting to fill up my fall calendar at this point in the year but nothing right now.  nothing at all. 

Nope.  I have maintained 95-97% occupancy since 2018... until now.  I'm a Superhost with 4.99 stars and amazing reviews.  And I've put nothing new on the calendar since the Release.  

Me too

unfortunately airbnb doesn’t care

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Sadly due to having ZERO bookings for August even though we are price competitive we have decided to list our 3 bed apartment elsewhere. We will probably dual list with Airbnb for a while to see if anything improves.

I know. I have no bookings for July and August from Air, even though I'm below competitive in pricing, and in a very desirable location in my very desirable town. The only bookings I have gotten to date are last minute ones, for 1 night. I used to book 6-8 weeks out, for 3-6 nights, guess I'm not showing up for that option on Air anymore. 
One guy tried to book in Oct for 2 nights, Air would only let him book for one.

It seems lots of other sites are taking advantage of Airbnb's mess and offering really easy sign-ups, they CALL you within 24 hours to make sure all is well with your listing when you migrate it to their site.

Kindof breaks my heart, I really loved Airbnb and feel totally betrayed by this. 

@Peggy137 Indeed - Cottages.com which is a well known website in the UK is offering a very lucrative signing on bonus and are not very much more expensive than Airbnb.

would you be kind to provide some details? ty