Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello. So I had a Superhost bonus credit to use up by 1st of July. I had no idea what I wanted to do with it, but I wanted to use it as I could do with a mini break. What I did know was that I didn't want to spend loads of money on top, so probably just one night with UK prices. Also, not too far away, as there is no point driving for almost a whole day there and back to spend one night.

Should be simple, right? The 'I'm flexible' option should give me lots of ideas. NO, not really. I spent so many hours searching and giving up in frustration. The new search functions are confusing and frustrating and I am a seasoned user. Imagine how awful it must be for a new user. 

Eventually, this evening, I did find a place, by doing a search for South East England (kindly suggested by @Stephanie ), selecting "I'm flexible" and then any weekend, two guests and a max price of £100 a night. From those options, I could then change my dates to one night and pick specific dates, but had to browse the host's calendar to see what dates were available.

What I noticed was that, although the host had dates that fit my search criteria available in July, August and so on, the search results only showed dates in November. So, if I wasn't aware of all the glitches in this new search, as a guest I would have totally overlooked that listing, thinking there was no availability for my selected search criteria until November.

This doesn't make sense and needs to be fixed.

Meanwhile, my own views continue to spiral downward and no bookings at all...

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Huma0 ,

Glad you found a place in the end, sorry it was such a faff to do so. The calendar only showing November in search sounds dodgy to me, did you grab a screenshot?

Thanks,

Steph

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

No, sorry I didn't do a screenshot. The clock was ticking so I when I found the listing, I wanted to book it asap! I will try to replicate the search and see if the same thing happens.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

Also, the listings that came up in my search showed a variety of dates for 'any weekend', e.g. one would show dates in September, another in January etc. I think most guests would take that to mean those were the first weekends available for those particular listings.

When I found the listing I ended up booking and saw the dates in November, I asked myself if I really wanted to go to the coast at that time because, as you know, the weather would likely be miserable. I was about to close the listing and continue searching, but then thought, let me just check the calendar. Lo and behold, there was some weekend availability every month between now and November and beyond.

Another glitch 

every time I go to SHOW YOUR PERFORMANCE, it shows if I accept pets, etc, etc. not my performance at all!!!605ADB82-3119-4A6F-8CE9-BF426BB3DD00.png7E3076DD-0913-4ECA-80F7-01EBA281015B.png

@Stephanie could you please tell me how to find a place in London? Which category? island? OMG? Tiny houses?

or Paris? Just Paris? Then I will look for neighborhood?

or Parma, Italy? Unfortunately it is not an island? Boot?

Type in where you want to go and the dates. Ignore the categories.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Till-and-Jutta0   All I can say is that every search I have done since the new Summer Release  whether using categories, the map, dates, location, whatever...the results are extremely glitchy.  

Sorry, could you please send me the instructions? 🤣🤣🤣🤦🏻‍♀️😳

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

As @Peggy137 already mentioned: If you tell us your dates, then we can give you the direct link.

@Till-and-Jutta0 @Airbnb dear Airbnb rep, can you realize how ridiculous you sound? So far, since this messy update started we need that a rep find our property???

really??

what is this new deal of hidden our properties? Where is your gain?  Because we have been telling you we’re going broke and you desr Airbnb don’t give a **bleep**!!! Sorry for my French, but I’ve been very patience that Airbnb come back to their senses and give us an honest response ….

very sad

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

As you know, I’m following the M11 discussions in various forums and in our local community with great interest. So I think it’s a good idea to switch to the guests’ side and see how the new booking process really works – and where the glitches for us as guests could be.

I (and others) have noticed that the categories disappear as soon as you enter location, dates and number of guests. As I’m not sure if this was the way it worked from the very beginning of the M11 innovations – or a rework, it would be interesting to hear from other guest experiences.

So I can just tell you about my authentic booking experiences, two since M11, and tell you about my talks with other guests. If you feel unsure about my person, please have a look to my profile, or ask @Stephanie or any other Admin, as I’m no Airbnb rep. And if you need any further booking assistance I will be more than happy to assist you as a guest.

@Till-and-Jutta0 

Do you understand that MANY travelers do not search with precise dates?  That they want to see the FULL list of options in a particular location?  That they want to sort through the options themselves and not have them curated by the platform? Do you understand that travelers want to see the calendars to help them fix a travel date? 

As for Categories- why aren't those in a filter instead of a blizzard of icons?  In fact, AirBnb has not populated Categories fully nor accurately as other Hosts are reporting in vivid detail.  

To see it from the guest's perspective, they find the new search chaotic, confusing and unsatisfactory. Anecdotally, my sister tried to book on AirBnb, didn't understand the default weeks and the search engine (map) took her far away from her NC destination. She booked on VRBO.  That is one example. 

The proof that guests do not like the platform is that Hosts are here reporting views and bookings have nearly disappeared.  If yours have not, you are fortunate.  I predict AirBnb is hemmoraging business, while other companies pick up the slack.  

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Screenshot_20220704-195712_Airbnb.jpg

 So this apartment  in Central London  had shown a picture  of a pond in their local park 

It's now listed as having a private pool thanks to the new AI.

It doesn't  have a pool.