Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048
Jillie0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

I run a property designed for reunions.   

Unless the trip is linked to a specific activity,  for our market guests start out identifying the size of property,  number of bedrooms,    facilities they need and an approximate location linked to travel distance.    

The issue for us is going to  be Airbnbs fear of the reunion / party market.   

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

Don't be distracted with the pretty category  pictures.

I think the big rollout of all the cool places in the world that exist, is not only impractical for busy guests looking to book lodging; but more importantly is to distract hosts from the big changes that Airbnb has implemented. 

1 - we are all now generic "cabins, condos, suites, houses".  They did away with our unique titles, to market what is special about our properties, on all searches.  Not helpful. 

2 - Implemented only a rating score, without the number of reviews. Not useful.

3 - cover pictures are no longer what the hosts chose, but what AI chose in many searches. Why?

4 - Only when you click on a property do you see the Host's title, number of reviews, cover picture.  Not helpful to host or guest, requires more clicks to get information.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Denice0 thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Just to eliminate any confusion, the category search function is an additional option that does not replace the search function we're already used to. When you're using the normal search (or location search), your listing will still appear as before with the title and picture you've chosen. 

When you're using the category search, the cover picture will be chosen by the algorithm to highlight that part of your listing. For example, if you're looking for a listing in the category "Amazing pools", the listings in the search results will all show a picture of their pool.

As for the rating score, may I ask where you found this? The normal search will still show the review score and the amount of reviews like we're used to, and when using the category search the review score and amount of reviews are shown as well (this is only on the map view, not the list view).

Thanks!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

This is not true. I just did a search for my home via the "regular" way with specific dates and the generic "Cabin" title is what shows up, not the name my house is branded with. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Larissa112 I'm not sure what your search results are showing but when I use the normal search, your listing shows up as such:

Sybe_0-1652366459645.png

Could you share a screenshot of what you're seeing in the results?

Thanks!

-----

@Sybe  thank you for the reply - this is what I see when I search with dates in Cannon Beach.Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 7.48.51 AM.png

@Sybe As I mentioned earlier, you don't see any of that information until you click into the actual listing. So when I do a "standard"  search for a specific location and dates, I get only the generic name and rating without the number of reviews. That is patently unfair to those of us with unique listings and who have worked hard to give a lot of guests a good experience.Screenshot_20220512-120504.png

@Sybe  thanks for responding, but that is not what I see when I search by location.  I now get condo in Boulder, cabin in Boulder - titles are gone when I do a search for Boulder.  There are no longer the number of reviews, just a rating score.  Two of my listings had the same picture as the cover picture - not the pictures I chose. 

I think we have a problem with the normal search (or location search), which is the only search a serious traveler would use.  I hope you're right, and this is just a glitch; and that the intended result - is not to take titles, review scores, and pictures away from the Host's control.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Larissa112 Thank you for sharing the picture, it's much clearer now what you meant. @Denice0 I'm assuming you're seeing something similar as Larissa?

I've asked for clarification and I'll let you know as soon as I have an update. 😉

-----

Thank you @Sybe ,  Yes, I am getting the same results as @Larissa112 .  A search by location means no host title, a star rating without the number of reviews, and who knows what picture on the cover.  It doesn't appear to help guests find the location they are requesting.  

This  rollout has problems.  Community hosts, and Community managers don't understand it and are questioning Why?  We don't want more chaos?  Can you imagine the confusion for the guest who does not study this site,  and just wants to book lodging, in the location they have chosen.  The majority don't care about the latest trendy house; just a comfortable, clean, accurate listing, with a reliable honest host,  in their desired location.  We all know this.  I hope this isn't a total power grab where Airbnb decides they take total control of titles, pictures, categories, review ratings and numbers, accurate locations, and what listing is visible on the site depending on the numerous types of searches. We know how chaos works.

We're here, on the community, because we are stakeholders, the guest is only looking for lodging, and may move on to a site that is usable and transparent.   This is a torturous chaotic process for your stakeholders, and I hope it is not by design.   Thank you for attempting to get clarification and to update us.

Yes, I'm getting the same results as @Loretta126 too.

@Sybe 

@Sybe wrote:

When you're using the normal search (or location search), your listing will still appear as before with the title and picture you've chosen. 

The normal search will still show the review score and the amount of reviews like we're used to, 

Not what I see (desktop/Chrome) when I use the  "old-fashioned" search with town, dates, number of guests.  No titles on the listings.  No review counts.

soufriere search.JPG

@Sybe  When the first page you reach when you go to AirBNB is this new "categories" page, that's what guests are going to use. So while the original search engine may still be there, it's not obvious.

What is really classist and elitist is the new Home page is only showing high end properties. The majority of the "featured" homes are $500 per night up to a completely absurd $16,000 per night. Most people aren't going to spend that kind of money, yet this new Summer Release is clearly catering to higher end destination properties and ignoring the rest of us.

AirBNB was founded on an inexpensive alternative to hotels, really more in line with the hostel experience in Europe. Once again this new "great idea" is completely dismissive of the common host with a home share. 

How are Jo and Joann who have a basement studio in the suburbs of Lumberton, NC supposed to get any attention with this new category search? They're not. Especially when they can't even click a box to add themselves to a category that a highly flawed AI system will miss.

And I'm getting the generic labels, too. I'm guessing the Artificial Intelligence isn't smart enough to handle unique labels yet? 🙄

Stephanie365_0-1652395839236.png

Yes, a million times this!

Martin4241
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

I have a unique house in Copenhagen, Denmark. I have been featured in magazines also nothing alike in Copenhagen. How do I add the "Featured in" to the listing. I see whole new listing in categories but how do we trusty users get same treatment? Any tips and help is appreciated.

Foto Factory - Inspiring Nature