Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

303 Replies

Re: Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

in
Wilmington, NC
Level 10

I take back any comments I've made over the years about Airbnb trying to everything to everyone. With this update it's clear they want as far away from their roots as possible. The listings that show up on the home page? Most are $400-$800 PER NIGHT. There's one in Joshua Tree for $16,000 a night!

*sigh*

in
Fredericksburg, VA
Level 10

Oh you get that one too?

in
Fredericksburg, VA
Level 10

Depending upon the dates, it goes up over $17,000 per night. Or maybe they have Smart Pricing on and with everyone wanting to know what could possibly be worth $17k, all the clicks have driven the price up?

in
Charleston, SC
Level 10

1) The only search options for guest are.

"Any Week" which means 7 nights or longer. This is the default so if you don't offer 7 days or longer your listing will not show up at all to guest. 

"Any Month" Same.  

"Any Weekend" This only will display if there is a weekend available. 

As it is now, the only way for my listing to display at all is if "Any Weekend" is selected or for guest to enter the exact dates I have open. This means that for weekday nights that are available guest will not see my listing. I have a 5 night max and most of my guest book 4 nights or less. 

My listing also has a beautiful view across the marsh and tidal creek, but when clicking "Amazing Views" it zooms out to only expensive beach houses along the entire state. The "lake front" isn't a good idea, as the only lakes in the area are man made retention ponds, much like a sewer treatment pond. Why not just have "waterfront" as the option as that's the only option for host to check in the amenities? And also how other search engines like Zillow have, they only have "waterfront" as an option.

The biggest problem though is blocking out any available weekdays from guest searches. I'll need to either offer 7 days or longer or list on another site like VRBO. I'm thinking I better go ahead and set up account on other booking platforms.

Mine is one of the most popular in the area. Why not just add "any dates" to the options. Its also not displaying the number of reviews. I've kept my rates at ABB suggest price, all 5 star reviews. Now they don't even what to book it after its always been on the first page.  

BTW clicking the number of nights at the bottom and I"m flexible also doesn't change this. Why even have that option of selecting 2 or 3 nights if it doesn't work and defaults back to 7 nights or longer?

Beyond frustrating! Even if I offer 7 day stays, most of the time I won't have 7 consecutive days, as mine usually books up 6 months in advance. Not sure really what to do. I always book over 90% occupancy rate, as most guest are in town for short visit. I'm sure nothing will change except I'll have to make adjustments.   

PS.. this means if there are weekdays available say June 20th - 23rd. And people want to visit the area in next month or so, and see what's available for a quick get away, they won't even see the listing at all unless they enter the exact dates. This could mean someone cancels the week before and it probably won't get booked as there is no way for guest to find it unless it happens to be on a weekend. Time to scramble. I really should have already had my listing on other platforms, as I'll be starting over. 

in
Wilmington, NC
Level 10

@John5097 

Exactly. My maximum stay is 3 nights so I will never show up that way. But also, if a host doesn't have 7 straight nights available, they won't show up either. If they don't bring back the "anytime" search, bookings are going to decrease across the board.

I had been looking for a place in the mountains as a guest. I can go anytime in Sept or Oct so I was searching for a place that would fit, and was going to adjust my dates based on that. I was going to stay 4 or 5 nights, depending on the place, but again, my choices on Airbnb were only a weekend, week, or month. Today I found a place to book on VRBO instead.

in
Charleston, SC
Level 10

@Suzanne302 

Hopefully something changes. As it is now you are exactly right. Its really confusing and will be difficult for guest to find available weeknights.

Clicking 1 day, 2 day, 3 day etc at the bottom does nothing. It reverts to "any week". Selecting  "I'm flexible" reverts to "any week" even if dates are selected. I'm not sure how "I'm flexible": worked in the past. Nothing flexible about this at all.

Not surpising really. A lot of host who were buried are now on the front page. Reminds me of Booking.com. Tons of places available with no reservations. I'll figure out a way to make it work, but can't trust Airbnb. Not really sure what other options there are either. I never thought my listing was that important as there are so many others, but need to keep renting it for a while. I always thought it would lie best to stay on one platform. Big change. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.55.51 PM.png

in
Charleston, SC
Level 10

I've tested this some more. As of tonight the only dates on my calendar open for a week (7 days) or weekend is in November. My weekends book up 6 months in advance. So even if I change max stay to 7 days, as soon as someone books that weekend I my listing will be completely hidden unless someone enters exact dates I have available.

If guest chooses exact dates, say 3 nights, then clicks flexible it defaults back to "any week" so guest can't choose 3 nights and flexible. So weeknights will become more difficult to book and end up with last minute bookings or not book them at all. 

My listing is also a budget friendly nice apartment. So many people have loved it. I did all the renovations myself. This entire time anyone can book it with instant book and so many wonderful guest have really appreciated it. Its just a 1960s ranch house on a nice lot, like a lot of places, in 1960s neighborhood. It does have an amazing view on waterfront but doesn't show up in any of the categories. That's reserved for very expensive beach front listings. I guess beach front, beach, and surfing isn't enough.  

But when I allow 7 nights I'm the very first listing displayed. If I don't have 7 nights available all my weekdays are hidden unless the exact dates are entered. 

If Airbnb doesn't even want to book my weekdays what other choice do I have but to list on other platforms? VRBO is calling me tomorrow. They have a quick set up process where I entered the website to my Airbnb account. I don't know anything about hosting over there though  but what other choice do I have?  I've been the most popular 2 guest apartment in the entire area but if Airbnb doesn't want to book my place I'll have to do the best I can. 

in
Charleston, SC
Level 10

@Suzanne302 When I travel I also just go up to the mountains for a 2-4 nights. That's most of the guest I get. Airbnb stat says 60% of guest to the area are within 300 miles and day average of 3-4 nights. 

in
Utopia, TX
Level 4

But their new algorithm completely ignores that. 

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 3

The 7 day thing seems to explain why we are apparently not appearing on the map until October, and why 50% of the listings in our town have vanished across the summer. We are a town centre short breaks destination, where almost all bookings are 5 days or fewer.

in
Atlanta, GA
Level 1

There should be a waterfront category. I am on a canal with a boat dock, but I am accross the street from the beach so I don’t think it is accurate to say beachfront.

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Kristin1308 Thank you for the suggestion! I can see why it would be useful to have the category as "waterfront". We'll make sure the team hears your suggestion! 🙂

Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

in
Melbourne, FL
Level 1

When guests use the "filters" section there isn't a filter for PETS. The pets filter is only in the "Who" "Add guests" section. This will cause problems. Guest will use the "filters" option, find the place they want to rent, and AFTER they will add the number of guests. If you don't allow pets they won't see an option to add pets.  Pet friendly/or not should be one of the FIRST filters.

in
Frederick, MD
Level 10

Especially as the video showcases traveling with a pet!

in
Marbella, Spain
Level 10

There is probably no filter for pets because so many hosts don't want to accept pets.
Because of the minority of pet owners who cause the majority of pet damage.
So perhaps they are hoping that guests can slip in with their pet or maybe ask for special permission from hosts who have "no pet" switched on.

Comment